Iranfromthezoo

Default how to handle a delicate situation

Hey guys, I'm still in fire school and making great progress. I love it.

I have a question and would like the advice of fellow brothers. I'm in a company with a person who just does not want to work with anyone. Everyone in our battalion sees this and is getting ****ed off. They talk on the cell phone, are always the last to everything. The company I am in gets in trouble because this person is always lagging behind.

They are a cop and firefighter and do not want to be a firefighter. They talk back to the instructors.

Our company had a meeting together with this person and they got defensive and took everything negative. They then pulled the race card out on me and directed towards me to other instructors.

I feel as if the academy isn't doing enough about this problem because that she pulled the race card on me.

we have a little over two weeks left and I don't know if I should bring this situation up with the instructors (we have had more than 4 meetings about this individual without any success)
    My chief told me to leave her behind because right now she is in control and making us look bad. But I don't exactly know what he meant by that.

But my question is if you were in this situation where this person talked back to you, always knew everything, was rude, lazy and slept during class and disrespected the instructors and brought your entire battalion down how would you handle the situation?

I know......you guys want me to put some turpentine rags around my ankles so the ants won't eat my candy a**.

Forum Member

You at the State Academy in Pearl?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Okay here is what I would do in this siutation:

Document every situation where she failed to work as a team member, where she slept in class, where she was on the cell phone when she was supposed to be working, and where she was last to get moving or get done with a task. Have as many of the members of the battalion as will do it sign these documents as witnesses. Make sure dates and times are included. If necessary you can use these to defend yourselves if she makes a complaint against you. Also, document times and dates of when you speak to the instructors about this.

What your chief means about leaving her behind is this, if you are supposed to be doing a task and she is sleeping leave her sleep and go and do the task without her, if she is on the phone leave her talking and go do the task without her, if she is lagging behind keep moving and do the task without her. If she chooses to slack and not be a team member and the instructors aren't fixing the problem just do what you have to for the rest of the battalion. Perhaps this will force the instructors to snug up their knickers and do their job.

Good luck because you are on treacherous ground if she has already tossed out the race card.

FyredUp

Forum Member

still in fire school
    Maybe it's just me, but in the fire school I run, it would be up to the instructors to handle this person, not another member of the class.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps a "Code Red" is in order. Can she handle "the truth"?

Not that I actually believe it to be true, but maybe the instructors are testing your group's interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.

Naaaah.

Seriously, good luck, I hope you all find a way through this.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cato36 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm still in fire school and making great progress. I love it.

I have a question and would like the advice of fellow brothers. I'm in a company with a person who just does not want to work with anyone. Everyone in our battalion sees this and is getting ****ed off. They talk on the cell phone, are always the last to everything. The company I am in gets in trouble because this person is always lagging behind.

They are a cop and firefighter and do not want to be a firefighter. They talk back to the instructors.

Our company had a meeting together with this person and they got defensive and took everything negative. They then pulled the race card out on me and directed towards me to other instructors.

I feel as if the academy isn't doing enough about this problem because that she pulled the race card on me.

we have a little over two weeks left and I don't know if I should bring this situation up with the instructors (we have had more than 4 meetings about this individual without any success)
    My chief told me to leave her behind because right now she is in control and making us look bad. But I don't exactly know what he meant by that.

But my question is if you were in this situation where this person talked back to you, always knew everything, was rude, lazy and slept during class and disrespected the instructors and brought your entire battalion down how would you handle the situation?

I know......you guys want me to put some turpentine rags around my ankles so the ants won't eat my candy a**.
    i am in vicksburg, about 45 miles away from the mississippi fire academy.

first off i am a little confused by whcih class you are in. if you are the Firefighter 1001-I-II class then according to their schedual the tlast class started just last week, so i am confused as to which class you only have two weeks left in if they just started.

also, i personally know serveral of the instructors at the mississippi fire academy and i am am a friend of the current executive director, Mr. Reggie Bell. I dont see how the instructors there would be taking that kind of crap off of someone. and you said something how their is a cop in your class??? so their is a cop going through the Firefighter1001 course?

if the person is lagging behind in class and in the field then he/she would be failing the cousework both academically the physical work and would wash out. and they cant play the "race" card when they just flat out failed.

what fire department are you with? if it is such a big problem then i am sure the instructors would take care of it because the ones i know would never take this crap off of anyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, according to your previous posts you are going to the South Carolina Fire Academy (which i was confused by because your profile says your from mississippi).

Forum Member

Cato36,
    Do nothing! Ignore this broad and do what you have to do to get through the next two weeks. Do not engage her at all. Make sure you are doing what is asked of you and if she is lacking the instructers will see the real issue.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA8 View Post
    Cato36,
    Do nothing! Ignore this broad and do what you have to do to get through the next two weeks. Do not engage her at all. Make sure you are doing what is asked of you and if she is lacking the instructers will see the real issue.
    i have to agree. just do what you do and thats all you worry about, YOU. in the end, unless she is on the same department as you, you will never have to worry about her again after the academy

Thread Information