Forum Member

OFD226,

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $390,700 - that's based on 10 year old valuation. It was just redone. The number is now over $600k.

we were number ten on the most dangerous city list in 2004 - sounds like a good reason to move.

Makes no sense
    THAT I entirely agree with.

and on top of that all...the ground does not shake here.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

but I think we have an easier time with wage increases because we do not have any volunteers (to speak of) in California....

Nope.

Need to rethink that one because there's several easy observations:

1) Pay is lowest in the South, which traditionally has one of the weakest volunteer (or any) fire protection traditions in the U.S.

2) Very well paid Northeastern U.S. departments are often immediately adjacent to areas that have long traditions of strong volunteer systems -- although some of those are weakening. Chicagoland has a number of departments using part-time staff heavily near career departments that pay well.

3) What explains the Cops & Teacher's salaries?

Looking at the Firehouse salary survey, http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/su.../part3/pay.pdf , and adjusting for Cost of Living between damn high Connecticut and astronomical parts of California...the California guys would need a $20,000 pay raise AND work 12 hours a week less to be equivelant to the CT Firefighters. With the possible exception of Fairfield, all the Departments from CT on that first page have fairly strong (declining but still predominantly) volunteer departments on several of their borders if not within the same town.

Unionization (mandatory Collective Bargaining) and Cost of Living have the far bigger impact on FF pay.

MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Forum Member

San Diego pays about the same as here (central IL) but a $350,000 house here is a freakin monster house.

They're getting screwed.

Forum Member

I was suprised to see that Sac City is starting out lower than San Diego! No wonder they are having open hiring. Everyone is going to work for Sac Metro. But, don't get me wrong I would go to work in San Diego or Sac City in a heartbeat.

MembersZone Subscriber

sac city also has 4 man engines and trucks....Sac Metro has 3 on both.

There goes your pay increase!

I would rather take a pay cut than loose our 4th man off the engine or 5th off the truck....
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OFD226 View Post
    sac city also has 4 man engines and trucks....Sac Metro has 3 on both.

There goes your pay increase!

I would rather take a pay cut than loose our 4th man off the engine or 5th off the truck....

Don't give the mutts any ideas!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I am getting sick of the cities saying it's cheaper to pay OT than hire more firefighters, and then turning around and complaining you make too much money-when they count all the mandatory OT?

All the public hears is how we have X number of FFs who made big money and retired with a "huge" pension.

Forum Member

Hey OFD226 Never negotiate for us on a bulletin board! As far as trading money for staff we do neither. We fight for our wages which we earn and fight the bastards to the ground for staff.

As have so recently done FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Union has been great with regards to keeping our staffing levels where they belong.

SON044 we do owe a debt to you and the others on the Union Board for fighting for us. I hope it will continue in the future, and I am confident it will.

I just wish you (Union Board) and us (Union Members) could have more of a say with regards to getting our Fireboat back, opening more Firehouses, getting more Engines, more Trucks and More BC's....but we are lucky to have what we have I suppose, especially when you look at what the cities around us are going through at the moment (Vallejo for example.....)
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Forum Member

Forget the pay issue. After visiting San Diego last year, you guys have more problems then that to deal with. Just seeing a Ladder Truck respond nearly 40 miles to a first alarm building fire makes me say

Forum Member

You could always strike.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

The department is under-staffed, under-paid, and not treated fairly compared to other public safety jobs.

That's certainly true...on a previous thread about Phoenix when I was looking up the statistics for cities out west San Diego stood out like a sore thumb for the combination of it's low spending per population & very high cost of living -- things you wouldn't expect to go to together since FD spending (like most municipal spending) is predominantly salaries.

Just seeing a Ladder Truck respond nearly 40 miles to a first alarm building fire makes me say

Seems like there's likely more to that story -- quick look at their website says they protect under 400 sq. mi. and have 13 Trucks. I'd imagine there are circumstances that could create the 40 mile run, but I can't think it's a regular occurence.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
    The department is under-staffed, under-paid, and not treated fairly compared to other public safety jobs.

That's certainly true...on a previous thread about Phoenix when I was looking up the statistics for cities out west San Diego stood out like a sore thumb for the combination of it's low spending per population & very high cost of living -- things you wouldn't expect to go to together since FD spending (like most municipal spending) is predominantly salaries.

Just seeing a Ladder Truck respond nearly 40 miles to a first alarm building fire makes me say

Seems like there's likely more to that story -- quick look at their website says they protect under 400 sq. mi. and have 13 Trucks. I'd imagine there are circumstances that could create the 40 mile run, but I can't think it's a regular occurence.
    I was just going by what the folks at station 20 (across from Ipayone Center Sports Arena) said when one (1) of their Ladder Trucks (the second due) was out of service and they were dispatched to cover. The call was at the Univ. Of Cal. San Diego, in La Jolla.

Mileage quoted, I think is off and more like 10-15 miles. Perhaps using the I-5 helped response times, but not sure. I took me over 45 min to get from the same place to the same place as their response (was staying at a hotel near station 20)

By the way, the website now say's the have only 12 Trucks. Just seams to me that there is not enough resources there, but I may be wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OFD226 View Post
    Our Union has been great with regards to keeping our staffing levels where they belong.

SON044 we do owe a debt to you and the others on the Union Board for fighting for us. I hope it will continue in the future, and I am confident it will.

I just wish you (Union Board) and us (Union Members) could have more of a say with regards to getting our Fireboat back, opening more Firehouses, getting more Engines, more Trucks and More BC's....but we are lucky to have what we have I suppose, especially when you look at what the cities around us are going through at the moment (Vallejo for example.....)
    What's going on in Vallejo?

Forum Member

Yeah, 10 mile response in a 400 sq. mi. city with 12 ladders if one's out of service or on another run ain't that difficult to see.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    What's going on in Vallejo?
    The city is trying to dismantle the fire department.

City of 140,000 people, 9 stations and now down to only one truck, and they are trying to cut this truck, as well as lay off 15 firefighters...

Bad situation...and the city just sued the union also...ugly....
    IAFF Local 55

MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Member

I made Category 1 for the SD exam. The letter says there are 90 candidates in Category 1, which seems like pretty good odds if they're really hiring 65 Firefighters. Does anyone know when interviews will be held, and when the first academy class starts?

Thread Information