MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Member

I guess 4 years is too long ago for the council to remember the job the Firefighters did when the big one did hit. (Cedar Fire maybe?)

Forum Member

Am I reading this right? A FF gets $35k a year in base pay, but a percentage of them are making another $100k on top of that just in overtime? And then I'm to believe all those guys making that $100k overtime are willing to give that up and only make their base $35k per year?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Am I reading this right? A FF gets $35k a year in base pay, but a percentage of them are making another $100k on top of that just in overtime? And then I'm to believe all those guys making that $100k overtime are willing to give that up and only make their base $35k per year?
    Glad you said it and not me.

Forum Member

I would offer that the 35K / year is a rookie wage. So those earning over 100,000 per year are working a ton of overtime or have a base pay closer to 100,000 than 35,000.

Forum Member

At a base pay of $35k it is impossible to make $100k even with time and a half. There are not enough hours in the year to make that much. I'm guessing that $35k is not accurate even as rookie pay! This is So Cal! Home of the BIG bucks! The only area of the country doing better than us! More hours though.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

San Diego does have a reputation for being the lowest paid large city in California. One of the only large departments in California I haven't tested for due to that reason.

Hopefully your union can get something going for you guys down there. I am from the Bay Area and know about the cost of living issues your having.

Good luck brother.

Forum Member
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 04-26-2007 at 06:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

According to the abovce survey the Max base pay of a dual role firefighter/paramedic is $78,000, rookie pay is $35,000. What does Max base pay mean? the two seem to contridict.

MembersZone Subscriber

According to the above survey the Max base pay of a dual role firefighter/paramedic is $78,000, rookie pay is $35,000. What does Max base pay mean? the two seem to contridict.

MembersZone Subscriber

Max base pay is probably the top end wage of a tenured firefighter.

T.J.

Forum Member

Holly pay scale Batman...$77K for a top-out Inspector, $111K for a top-out BC. And this is a problem?

I agree, its BS that PD got a raise and FD didnt, but come on Bros. $111K are what big city Chiefs make around here, and I assure you the cost of living isnt that much different, at least not when it comes to housing. Im one of only a handfull in my FD that can afford to live in the same county we work. And thats only due to the fact that my house has been in the family for years and is paid for. If I had to buy, I couldnt live where I work either.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

martz847
    The median cost of a home is $550.000 in San Diego.
    $100,000 a year doesn't go far in San Diego.

MembersZone Subscriber

Those living outside of California you have no idea how high the cost of living is.....

In the SF Bay Area for example, last month, the MEDIAN house price is 657,500......We are talking 2 bed 1 bath here.....ridiculous!!

You have to make over 145,000 a year just to qualify for the loan!

Also, remember, many of the California departments that have great salaries on paper are also paying retirement benefits out of this money, for example, we pay 13 percent off the top to PERS (retirement).
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OFD226 View Post
    Those living outside of California you have no idea how high the cost of living is.....

In the SF Bay Area for example, last month, the MEDIAN house price is 657,500......We are talking 2 bed 1 bath here.....ridiculous!!

You have to make over 145,000 a year just to qualify for the loan!

Also, remember, many of the California departments that have great salaries on paper are also paying retirement benefits out of this money, for example, we pay 13 percent off the top to PERS (retirement).
    Somebody has to pay the city back for providing Barry a nice small park and his 'roids
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

My towns current median house price is over $600k also. Why do Californians think they are so unique?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I agree, I don't know why some of the guys from California think that they have "unique" everything, but hey they've got the wage and benefit thing figured out. 600,000 house on the west coast costs the same as a 600,000 house on the east coast - What's the difference? some guys in California are making enough cash to pay for it. Way to go!

What tactics do you SoCal firefighters use to have the great wage & benefit packages that we so often hear about. I understand that you have a very limited property tax system.

Do you have a high sales tax? Is it specifically directed to the fire service?

What is the collective bargaining climate like?

Why do you think you've had more success with wage increases than most other firefighters in the nation?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    My towns current median house price is over $600k also. Why do Californians think they are so unique?

First of all, because I work in a city of 420,000 that had 130 murders last year (According to the FBI Stats, we were number ten on the most dangerous city list in 2004, and that was only with 98 murders, we will somewhere in the top 3 next year), and yet the median house price is that high...meaning you have to pay much more to get a house somewhere you would like to live or commute over 1 1/2 hour to work every shift.

For Pt Pleasant Beach NJ -
    Population July 2005: 5,314
    median income for a family was $61,250
    5.0% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line
    Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $390,700

Oakland, CA
    As of 2006, Oakland's estimated population was 411,755
    median income for a family was $44,384
    Median existing home price $609,800, median new home price $780,200
    About 16.2 percent of families and 19.4 percent of the population were below the poverty line

Our sales tax is 8.75 percent.

Gas is at least 3.50 a gallon.

Property taxes are also very high.

We pay exorbitant retirement percentages.

This is why we are unique. Large amounts of poverty, high cost of living. Makes no sense.

However, we still make more than many of the brothers on the East Coast. I think that is total BS. I feel for them, and the fact they have to work a second job in order to make ends meet. They should not have to do this!

We should all make a wage that allows us to live comfortably in the city we serve, if we wish to do so.
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Why do you think you've had more success with wage increases than most other firefighters in the nation?

I hate to say this....I know it will start a SH## storm...but I think we have an easier time with wage increases because we do not have any volunteers (to speak of) in California....

Before you all jump down my throat...I am not anti-vollie. I was one here in California in a rural area, as well as one in an Urban area on the East Coast.

But, I really think this is a factor. When a politician can say "Look, there are people lining up to do it for free", they can get away with a lot of BS...
    IAFF Local 55

Forum Member

Oakland has been up and down in it's universe, but binding arbitration has kept us from falling off the table. However our best contracts have come through negotiation and not arbitration.

Also there is a big difference in hours worked between the east and west coast. comparing hourly wages would show the east and west to be pretty close I think.

Forum Member

On an interesting sidenote, Jeff Bowman saw this coming years ago. I don't know how the SDFR guys felt about him, but I read an interview with him where he discussed his reasons for resigning. He seems like a sharp guy, and I was surprised to see him jump ship so quickly. Obviously, the writing was on the wall.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by OFD226 View Post
    I hate to say this....I know it will start a SH## storm...but I think we have an easier time with wage increases because we do not have any volunteers (to speak of) in California....

Before you all jump down my throat...I am not anti-vollie. I was one here in California in a rural area, as well as one in an Urban area on the East Coast.

But, I really think this is a factor. When a politician can say "Look, there are people lining up to do it for free", they can get away with a lot of BS...
    I have to say OFD nailed it. I am not anti-Volie either.

As for us being "unique", I dont make that claim.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I have to say OFD nailed it. I am not anti-Volie either.

As for us being "unique", I dont make that claim.
    I'm sorry, the Castro district of San Fran is unique
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can say that again

the 4-1-4

Uhhh, yeah-or something.

Thread Information