Thread: Mini-Pumper

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mini-Pumper

My last department had an old F-350 Diesel dually 4x4 with a high side rescue body on it and a 1000gpm PTO pump that they sold a while back. It was speced out to drop supply hose at the end of a driveway (hill country, 1/2 mile driveways to narrow to take our engine and to many overhangs to use a medium duty type rig. At a my new department we were discussing building a similar unit. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that are currently building something like this? All of the mini-pumper/squad/brush trucks I see around are 250 or max 500 gpm pumps.

Forum Member

Who was the builder of your last rig? You might want to check out Alexis.
    Will this truck be used as a pumper on fire scenes? I dont think you can have a 1000GPM pump with the auto in a F-500. You might be able to do it in a GM5500 but that is a not-so-mini minipumper, its kinda big.

Permanently Removed

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Send me an e-mail and I will offer you an option. I don't want to ge t accused of trying to sell here on the forums.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

LoL thats the problem, That was back in the day before I paid attentin to who built it and I just took it where my LT told me to. And thats kind of what im worried about is with all of the newer chasis I dont even know if its possible to build a unit like that any more. It was a stick with 4 wheel drive and absolutly indestructible. If you want to know our topography think the hilly parts of california but with more cedar trees and less help. The only thing that saves us from thier type fires so far is luck and a few percentage points higher humidity although the last year or 2 there hasnt been any humidity lol.

FyredUP - I dont have your email but I would appreciate if you could send me something - TacMedic4450@austin.rr.com

Forum Member

Some of the ones I know of are, Pierce, E-one, Crimson, Kme, Swab Wagon Co. and Darley

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/default.asp

http://www.piercemfg.com/

www.e-one.com

www.fire.kovatch.com

www.swabwagon.com

http://www.wsdarley.com/

I am sure their are alot I missed. But its a start.

Forum Member
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

If you stay away from an automatic transmission, the Ford could drive the 1000 gpm pump.

While the GM 5500 chassis looks physically bigger than the Ford F-series, I believe it turns better and you get an Allision transmission. This chassis can also be equipped with a 1000 gpm pump with an auto tranny if my memory serves me right. I don't know if you can run a PTO to drive a 1,000 gpm pump off this rig (don't believe so due to a problem I know the company I sell for had), but you can do a conventional split shaft tranny and drive 1000 gpm.

If you don't need a true four door, Dodge has the heavier chassis now available under their Ram (or the Sterling Bullet), but you would need to verify if the tranny under these chassis could drive the pump you want.

I think just about anyone could build what you want. Rosenbauer could, I'm sure all the other mentioned builders could too (Toyne, A-F, KME, Alexis, etc.). I'd go so far as to say I think you'll be seeing a lot of mini-pumper style rigs on the GM chassis this year after looking at the new Fords and how crowded under the hood they are...
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-26-2007 at 01:38 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1500gpm on Chevy 5500

Elite is currently building us a 1500 gpm pumper on a chevy 5500 4x4. They are using a Darley LDM pump.

Forum Member

Why do you need a 1500gpm pump on a mini pumper? Is this going to be your first out truck in areas were a full size rig cant go? and you have hydrants.
    Does GM rate the 5500 for driving a pump that big?

MembersZone Subscriber

The plan is to use it basically as a manifold. First in crew from St.2, which has a majority of the inaccessible driveways will take it. You stop at the end of the driveway and lay in with 3" (rubber jacket LDH with storz couplings) then when you get up to the house you have full structural capabilities. A majority of our houses are in the 1-2 million dolar range and have pools (so we can draft from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reason For 1500gpm Pump on Mini

We will be using this truck for filling tankers. We Don't Have Hydrants. We fill from ponds and lakes and need the 4x4 to get to some of these. On Paper the Duramax has the Torque and HP to run Darley's LDM pump at 1750 GPM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=oaattx934;803017]The plan is to use it basically as a manifold. First in crew from St.2, which has a majority of the inaccessible driveways will take it. You stop at the end of the driveway and lay in with 3" (rubber jacket LDH with storz couplings) then when you get up to the house you have full structural capabilities. A majority of our houses are in the 1-2 million dolar range and have pools (so we can draft from them.[/Q

you must be near the lake. cedar trees, hills, send me a private message.

Thread Information