Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P25 Questions

Forum Member

Default P25 Questions

Ok guys and gals. We are working on a regional grant and have a few questions.

1. Could someone explain to me what P25 is in english, preferrably 10th grade reading level terms?

2. If applying for portables and you are from the "sticks", would it be recommended to be included?

3. If we decide to avoid the P25 stuff, will our chances of being awarded be affected?

This probably sounds stupid to you guys, but this is like speaking Portugese to me. Thanks for the help.

Kelly
    Last edited by imafireman; 04-26-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Kelly,
    The best response is, call your state homeland security director's office with the brand/model of equipment you are proposiing to purchase and ask them if it is consistent with your state plan. You should also run the "concept plan" by your rep there and make sure they will approve it whe it come sto them for their approval. Anytime it is IC related it has to get a stamp of approval and review from your state directors office after surviving peer. Better to get their nod first before getting shafted at the end when you have already done all the work. I didn't know you were such a glutton for punishment Kelly, who talked you into trying for this at this late date?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Kelly,
    The best response is, call your state homeland security director's office with the brand/model of equipment you are proposiing to purchase and ask them if it is consistent with your state plan. You should also run the "concept plan" by your rep there and make sure they will approve it whe it come sto them for their approval.
    Exactly. The big P25 requirement for grants has died down because people finally realized how stupid it is. Many states will authorize grant funding for communications as long as the plan shows a need and it shows some kind effort to be interoperable with your neighbors as required.

We are putting in two new UHF repeater systems in town for fire and EMS. All conventional analog. No digital, no non-sense. And that is what the state cared about.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Kelly,
    I didn't know you were such a glutton for punishment Kelly, who talked you into trying for this at this late date?
    All I have to say about this is that I was "RAILROADED". Fortunately, I am only one of many and did not have to write the narrative.

The actual language says the state has the right to waive the P-25 requirment if the proposed purchase is compatible with the state's interoperable communication plan.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thank you Kurt. That helps a lot. I wasnt sure if this P25 issue was something the feds were looking for and could cause us to be DJed by the computer. I know the group last evening was leaning against going with it due to the increase in the price of equipment, but I wanted to get input from here to get a feel for what would happen. I will get hold of the powers that be and have them make the phone call to see if they will pass it through if the feds do feel it is worthy. Thanks again.

Exactly what Kurt said...call your state homeland security office and tell them what you are doing. It was so much easier when we did our regional project...plus they had some pretty good pointers.

Thread Information