Thread: Quint Cost

Forum Member

Default Quint Cost

In general terms can anyone give me a rough idea of what a new "quint" costs.

General Specs 1500/500/75'

I know you can run a far gamut of additional specs. But I know we are not going to be able to exceed $620K. Can we do something for that?

I

Forum Member

A dept not too far from us took delivery of a E-One 75' last year for $570K
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Look on a couple manufactures websites and they usually list demo's. Call and see what they are asking if it is close to what you want. All you're out is a phone call.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jsbuzz View Post
    In general terms can anyone give me a rough idea of what a new "quint" costs.

General Specs 1500/500/75'

I know you can run a far gamut of additional specs. But I know we are not going to be able to exceed $620K. Can we do something for that?

I
    Tandem rear axle or single rear axle (not looking to start that debate) will make a difference in cost.

Single rear axle with those basic specs should be able to be built by several manufacturers for under $500-K. If you go to a tandem axle the cost should rise to around $600-K.

Another variable will be the chassis that is chosen. A top of the line big-block chassis will be significantly more expensive than a mid-grade medium block chassis. Although I think the only option for a tandem rear axle will be a big-block chassis, I know that singles can be had with either size engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

We took delivery of a Seagrave very similar to what you discribe last year for 575,000. Single axil truck.

Forum Member

Smile

620K is plenty of money for a 75' 1500gpm aerial quint.

Forum Member

IMHO Big block motors are the only choice for an aerial or anything over 1000 gallons

how can depts run a custom chassis pumper with 1000 gallons but a 330 horse motor???

or 3000 commercial tandem tankers with 330 horses?

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    IMHO Big block motors are the only choice for an aerial or anything over 1000 gallons

how can depts run a custom chassis pumper with 1000 gallons but a 330 horse motor???

or 3000 commercial tandem tankers with 330 horses?
    You should have no less than 450HP Plus on anything over 1500 gallons of water.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post

It's really easy when you have a board of trustees and a chief that were pushing going to a commercial chassis with that same amount of water. We get by fine, no hills, etc. Would I like more power? Yes - but you do the best you can with what's allowed.

Heh - our '91 Spartans with 1000 gallons are well below 300 horse, and they still put out fires, passed pump test, and the one in reserve still runs and goes fine by my count. We think the rigs with 330 horse are the shizzle compared to the '91!
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Just received a quote today from KME, Predator chassis, 400 HP Cummins, 1500, 500, 75", 8kw hyd generator, some nice bells and whistles, $562K. We are just starting the process of looking, had the local dealer give me the specs of one he just delivered 4 months ago, and he included a quote with the booklet.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrestoC1 View Post
    Just received a quote today from KME, Predator chassis, 400 HP Cummins, 1500, 500, 75", 8kw hyd generator, some nice bells and whistles, $562K. We are just starting the process of looking, had the local dealer give me the specs of one he just delivered 4 months ago, and he included a quote with the booklet.
    PrestoC1 that is not a bad price, i know when McAdoo got there quint it was just about 515-525,000.00 , now that was 2003. so the price is holding pretty true over the years if you are interested in some ideas of not wasting one inch of compartment space, ask your KME Dealer to get you info on GSO 5221, or if you are up in NE PA, stop in and feel free to take a look for yourself. be more then happy to show you.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We thought 600k-620k would cover what we want which is a 1500/500/75 with ground ladders totalling 90-115 feet. We started hearing numbers of 700-800k. I think they were thinking tower ladders with a platform. We do want to maximize compartment space though.

Our last 3 rigs have been EONE's so there is a good chance we will go in that direction. Anyone have any expierience with the sidestacker set up? I am sure we will look at Pierce and KME as well. Who else would be worth our time?

We hope to have more input on this than our recent ambulance purchase. The chief moved to GMC/Hortons after years of International/Hortons. It has not been well received.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PrestoC1 View Post
    Is that on a medium block chassis with only 400 hp?
    If so, there must be a lot of bells and whistles to justify that price!

Forum Member

Cummins ISL 400 HP engine, I leave the mechanical end up to my assistant chiefs, they are the heavy truck guys. I look at design and functionality, the "it's 3 AM, I am still asleep, and how do I do this" person.

"Bells and whistles" may be misleading terms as we are not used to being able to purchase anything with them. "Features" is probably better, the rig has full depth compartments, roll up doors, tool boards, roll out shelves, etc.

As far as price, like I said, we are just starting to look. On the PA Costars web site there is a Smeal 75' with a 515 HP engine, generator, etc, for about $532K, if I remember correctly. On the top end, Pierce Dash, 75' AL ladder, CAFS, and ALL the bells and whistles for $676K.

Everything we have now are Pierces (purchased with quite a few years between) and they have treated us well, but in this day and age, you have to look at everything. Hopefully the AFG gods may smile upon us and we might actually be able to buy one soon. If not, what's another 5-7 years?
    Last edited by PrestoC1; 05-01-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Forum Member

A neighboring dept just bought a Pierce Dash 75 ft with a few bells and whistles for 520 k. 600k with all the tools and hose and stuff. So you have plenty of money avail to buy a good quality truck. Look into getting dual axles in the rear for more weight avail. You max out the axles with minimal equip if your not careful. Also gives you more compartment space and better braking with a smaller turning radius. Just a thought. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Forum Member

Not entirely true.I don't know where this misconception that a twin rear axle rig turns tighter than a single axle comes from.It's simply NOT true.If you are measuring WB from front axle to center of bogie,they will be close but when you factor in that every "wheeler"ever built wants to "push"(skate)in a corner particularly in dirt or bad weather then you will have a GREATER turning radius.Points on braking and loading are valid.Wb for wb, a single will turn tighter than a tandem every time. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    We are looking at a Pierce aluminum 75 footer on the PUC on a Velocity chassis. Our dealer says Pierce is looking at the concept but doesn't have it all laid out yet. We need a 75 footers with 500 gallons of water, foam, and tons of compartment space. This would certainly get that job done.

imagine - a pierce.....

oh, by the way
    compartment space is measured in cubic feet, not tons
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know what the current price is, but Ferrara advertised a 77 foot quint from their "stat" program in 2006 for around $400,000.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pfd3501 View Post
    I don't know what the current price is, but Ferrara advertised a 77 foot quint from their "stat" program in 2006 for around $400,000.
    Quite a few builders could be in the $400K range if you kept the specs to a minimum of "extras." I know we (Rosenbauer) could do one under $400K with a 400 horse Spartan Advantage in 2006, but someone will surely chime in that it certainly couldn't have all of the features one would need. Just like a program pumper, its a simple 75 foot quint that gets the job done, just without all the expensive options, which yes - some departments find are necessary for the way they operate...

I think Smeal could do it, Ferrara, E-One on a Typhoon, probably others.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

3501,Hehe good one! T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    We are looking at a Pierce aluminum 75 footer on the PUC on a Velocity chassis. Our dealer says Pierce is looking at the concept but doesn't have it all laid out yet. We need a 75 footers with 500 gallons of water, foam, and tons of compartment space. This would certainly get that job done.
    I know Pierce cannot build a single axle with 500 gallon tank. based on the specs below.
    75' Al.
    1000' 5"
    Foam tank
    300' 1 3/4 handline
    200' 3" handline
    227" wheelbase
    400 tank
    32000 rear axle/ steel wheels only

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oledriver View Post
    I know Pierce cannot build a single axle with 500 gallon tank. based on the specs below.
    75' Al.
    1000' 5"
    Foam tank
    300' 1 3/4 handline
    200' 3" handline
    227" wheelbase
    400 tank
    32000 rear axle/ steel wheels only
    Is ( 400 Gallons ) the " MAX " ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oledriver - You say they can't build the truck with the spec's below, you state 500gal, your spec's show 400gal ?????

I don't see anything in your spec that would keep them from being able to build the truck, pretty close to what they bid for me, unless the selection of foam system may be the only thing.

NewJersey - Pierce offers 500gal with their 75 AL aerial, 400 with steel
    75'

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a tandem axle KME on order it has 650 gallon water tank and 30 gallon foam tank, 2000 gpm pump auto leveling system and to many extras to mention for $677,000

Thread Information