Forum Member

Default Objective information request

OK folks. After reading all 128+ pages of the "Info on Iraq" thread, I am no closer to getting the information I thought I might.
    I understand that some people have had good experiances, and others have had bad ones.Leadership is leadership where ever you go. If you aren't in charge, someone could always do a better job. All of this information has been beaten to death, then into a wet stain on the ground in the other thread.
    Objective information is what I am looking for. Can anyone actually post things like how the process goes from arrival in Houston, to arrival in theater, to the daily life in your station?
    Advice for the newly arriving probie is also good, but the last few posts in the "Info on Iraq" thread seem to be the best yet, so no need to kill that either.

MembersZone Subscriber

there has been a good deal of posts, mostly back a while on the process but we will break it down again.

ok, u fly into houston, make your way to the hotel. Kris is there and gets everyone checked in. your there for 4-6 days depending on your flight. they provide meals at the KBR processing center. the food there pretty much sucks. we usually only ate there for lunch. i mean, its your last week in the states go out and eat some real food. anyways, couple briefings and a boring NBC class, and your on your way. ohyah forgot about the PT 'Test'. make sure you eat your wheaties that day lemme tell ya.

so u fly from Houston to Dubai. chill there for a day or so and then its on to Baghdad. when i went thru you were there for 4-5 days and then on to your site, now they are doing more classes and in processing stuff. so you might be there a bit longer. someone who has gone thru more recently will be more help. while your there they will ask you what base u want to go to. put whatever u like, you are going where the company needs you anyways.

from there u fly out to your base. when u get there make sure and be friendly and introduce yourself. keep your mouth shut for a while. and listen to everyone. you should be able to pick up on who knows their **** and who has no clue.

daily life depends on your base. expect training and inspections everyday. lots of both of those. u might get the chance to take some classes, you might not. if u want education let the officers know you do, and keep reminding them.

find something to keep your sanity, whether its PT, or movies, or music, or personal reflection time. find something and enjoy it while your doing it.

you will deal with lots of BS, there is BS everywhere you go, it just gets multiplied when you work 6-7 days a week, and then live with the same people 24/7. try and measure your year from R&R to R&R, helps it go by quicker.

the company is going to tell you, that you are the highest paid firefighters in the world. you are. they are going to say because there are people who are potentially trying to kill you, this is only half true. a large part of the reason is because you are going to work more hours in your year than any other firefighters in the world. so keep that in mind too.

its a long strange trip, and u only get out of it what u put in it. so make the best of your time.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

H2Osquirter,
    Thanks for the info. Quick, simple, and to the point. Outstanding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Good stuff!

Rotafire,

I’ve been trying to think of a way to start a thread like this for a couple of weeks…. Way to step up with a great intro and direction.

H20squirter,

GREAT info.

Thanks much guys
    Dan

Default PT Test

Any info on the PT test?

MembersZone Subscriber

u have 2 min to complete as many situps are you can. then 2 min to complete as many pushups are u can. and then complete a 25 yard shuttle run.

MembersZone Subscriber

Squirt, well put. No way could I have done it and kept the sarcasm and attitude out.

One thing I would add to Squirt's comments is take it payday to payday instead of R&R to R&R. R&R's are a major benchmark, but let payday be your milestone. Much shorter period, and you get that wonderful motivation in your bank account.

Make the most of your R&R's. Do something/go somewhere you've never done/been before. Don't just go home and vegetate. You'll come back saying, "Where the hell did those ten days go?" This can apply to the married guys with kids just as much as to the single dudes. Take advantage of the money you're making.

Forum Member

I would also recommend that you have a financial plan when you come over here. You will be making a significant income. Use it well. Pay off your debts, save some, and spend a bit. But you don't need the 42" plasma screen in your hooch. I have seen it over and over again, guys come over here and work like dogs, and at the end of their contract period are no better off then when they got here.

Whatever you do, and I don't care how much you love your spouse, BF/GF, partner, whatever -- do NOT give them a blanket power of attorney!!! I have known too many guys who came home to an empty bank account because they "trusted" people. Grant a conditional POA to pay bills, sign bank or insurance documents etc, but don't give them carte blanche'.

Face it the number 1 reason for coming here is to earn money. So don't screw yourself out of your money before you even earn it.

If anyone has any questions about KBR Medic positions, drop me an e-mail and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks,
    MedicDVG@gmail.com

Some good posts on the process there.
    As a medic (after reviewing the threads) I should expect an occ health role with KBR inside the wire or a TEMS role with Blackwater. So my question is "Are those the only two roles I should expect?" If not then what other roles are there and what companies would do these roles. Did anybody do like an ambulance role (flight or ground)?
    First post so go easy on me please.

Forum Member

On the PT test is it a pass/ fail thing? I thought they had an agility test? I just did our yearly Combat Test, with firefighter type drills. Didn't know what the point is in how many sit ups or push ups you can do. Just thought that maybe doing firefighter challenges...ie victim pull 100ft, stair climb 7 flights, equipment raise, while in full turnout gear and on air in less than 7 min would be the thing. Firerider

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ParaM80 View Post
    Some good posts on the process there.
    As a medic (after reviewing the threads) I should expect an occ health role with KBR inside the wire or a TEMS role with Blackwater. So my question is "Are those the only two roles I should expect?" If not then what other roles are there and what companies would do these roles. Did anybody do like an ambulance role (flight or ground)?
    First post so go easy on me please.
    In terms of KBR, your role will almost always be inside the wire occupational medicine type stuff. Sick call, injury prevention, immunizations etc. Some of the larger bases, and those closer to enemy action have ambulances. All the bases have military medics and most have a TMC or some sort of aid station to back you up. You won't be treating military assets, rather you will see KBR personnel and KBR Third country national subcontractors.

If you get on a busy clinic like Anaconda or USMI -- you will learn tons about clinical medicine and your assesment skills will increase incredibly, plus you will get some trauma responses as well. Some of the slower FOBs and smaller bases you may not see a patient for days.

As for the other companies (Blackwater, Triple Canopy etc.) I have no experience with them other then they take a more active military role so you can assume there that you will be practicing under fire outside the wire, or at more 'vulnerable' areas of the country. Suffice it to say you would be in more danger, but get more 'action' in those companies. However, if you are not former military, or law enforcement, the chances that you as a street medic will be hired are significantly lower.

As always, e-mail me with any specific questions or interest and I will do my best to help out.

Medic

Thread Information