Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Post FDNY Orders 69 Pumpers !

Seagrave Fire Apparatus employees from there engineering department and CEO Scott Mintier made up a nine man team who met with FDNY management & apparatus committee members to kick-off a preconstruction meeting for the award of ( 69 ) pumpers. FDNY is making a move to a " split-tilt " chassis cab stainless steel Marauder II apparatus,a prototype pumper unit is scheduled to be delivered before the end of the year!.....

Forum Member

wow! thats a lot of pumpers. But then again, they are a BIG department.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by alpha4 View Post
    wow! thats a lot of pumpers. But then again, they are a BIG department.
    After 9/11/2001 the Seagrave Fire Apparatus LLC. built 54 trucks on a rush order for the FDNY. At that time they were building apparatus in 4 months because of the emergency, these new trucks will most likely take 10-12 months each to complete !...

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Seagrave rep told us since the new factory opened they are down to an 8 month delivery and we are planning on ordering in June

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    ... these new trucks will most likely take 10-12 months each to complete !...
    A single fire apparatus does not take 10 months to complete. Many times, a pumper can be done in around 4-6 weeks (from the time it the frame rails are delivered until it rolls off the assembly line). Towers, ladders, and TDAs can sometimes take much longer.

It takes months to deliver the vehicle after the contract is signed because there are already vehicles under construction that have to be completed first.

The first batch of 30 FDNY pumpers will be delivered in about 12 months, which would be about the correct amount of time to build 30 vehicles.

Forum Member

Any firefighters within the FDNY know the cost $ of a new Seagrave pumper ?

Forum Member

I have always wonderd how long it takes to build an apparatus. Of all of the major manufactuers what do you think is the average time to build one?

...yes....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    ...yes....

Yes......and the answer is...what?

Just curious if in the process they get a break in the price for ordering so many.

Speaking of large/group orders (I do not mean to hijack here) I know some states do bidding (mainly LEO agencies) on vehicles and allow cities to make purchaces (sp) through this process so they can afford new vehicles. I am wondering if has been thought of in the fire service. Lets say several departments want basically the same type truck (pump size, flow, etc..) and they place it out for bid causing the companies to bid and bringing the prices down. I know cafs, different foam cells, doors styles, bells, whistles, all come into play.

Now back to regular programing.

T.J.

Forum Member

Default Tag on orders

Tag on oders has and is done. Many large cities and some states will order a large number of trucks and most manufacturers will not only allow but look for tag on orders from other departments. As far a two or three departments getting together and doing that from the get go it doesn't work well most of the time. The departments that try this can never agree on one spec. The cost savings for the manufacturer is in doing something, or building more than one of the same. Yes they may give a discount to get three or more trucks but you can't get everyone in one staion to agree let alone three or more departments. Good idea..... and it works for other things but not to much in the fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    Yes......and the answer is...what?

Just curious if in the process they get a break in the price for ordering so many.

T.J.
    From what I hear, they are coming in at over 400K each.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Tag on oders has and is done. Many large cities and some states will order a large number of trucks and most manufacturers will not only allow but look for tag on orders from other departments. As far a two or three departments getting together and doing that from the get go it doesn't work well most of the time. The departments that try this can never agree on one spec. The cost savings for the manufacturer is in doing something, or building more than one of the same. Yes they may give a discount to get three or more trucks but you can't get everyone in one staion to agree let alone three or more departments. Good idea..... and it works for other things but not to much in the fire service.
    Too bad that you could not tag on a GSA contract. (For the price) But you would not get the bells and whistles just the plain truck and they are for just the Fed's.

Tom, shouldn't you be working on spec's???

Forum Member

Default Yes I should an am

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    Too bad that you could not tag on a GSA contract. (For the price) But you would not get the bells and whistles just the plain truck and they are for just the Fed's.

I am. I don't take lunch or coffee breaks so use that time to see whats going on here once and a while. lol lol lol. Glenn has been working me to death but that's OK, i love what I do and who I am doing it with.

Forum Member

Post GSA Prices

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post

Why are GSA fire apparatus prices alot lower than going out to bid a truck, I have seen a KME 81' Aerialcat Tower ladder sell for $ 640,000 base price on the GSA web site and the state of PA, Costars-13 the same unit is selling at $ 755,000 base !...

Look into the GSA idea, you are not required to be a federal agency to purchase GSA. And the price is not always better...
    KME had a GSA/ State Bid rig availible in NY a few years ago but by the time you upcharged enough to make it a decent rig you were in the same range as a custom rig.
    Research and hard work will get you the best rig for your needs for the right price, nothing else.

As for the original question I think the # was 468K (if I remember correctly) it is a matter of public record and can be found by searching NYC DCAS contracts and awards, DCAS buys and owns all city vehicles not the FDNY, NYPD, DOS...

Default hey 807, say it ain't so!!

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79630

note
    this is not meant to compare Seagrave with Alexis........

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    As for the original question I think the # was 468K (if I remember correctly) it is a matter of public record and can be found by searching NYC DCAS contracts and awards, DCAS buys and owns all city vehicles not the FDNY, NYPD, DOS...

I know the FDNY Seagrave pumper is as bulletproof as it gets, but is it $468k/each bulletproof? or does some of that price cover unconditional bend over/whatever it takes service agreement?

Forum Member

All FDNY Seagrave's have a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty! With the use that they receive daily, that says a lot in that Seagrave can warranty them for that long of a period. I am sure the price that FDNY pays has that built into it and is higher than the average runs that we all have under a 1 year bumper to bumper.

Forum Member

Post Any completed FDNY Engines ?

Do any firefighters from the New York area know if Seagrave has completed the first " Split-Tilt cab " pumpers for the FDNY. They are going to ship 33 engines a year for the next two years of the contract !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 11-05-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Mistake 2 years not 3

Thread Information