Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Last minute question

Just got hit up with this question.

A local department has a 1966 Kaiser 6x6 that they have been working on, for years, to put into service as a brush truck, it will have a 1000 gallon agriculturial tank.

They want to go for a brush truck but do not want to give this truck back to the department of conservation due to its capabiliy of being used in adverse weather.

Since this truck has NEVER been used for any specific fire duty, as of yet. Will they score higher if they use it as a tanker (if used as a tanker they have no brush truck) and pick - first time purchase for existing mission or use it as a brush truck and pick the category of -adding to the fleet.

Or would it be better to TRY to convince them to claim it as converted and unsafe vehicle due to no seat belts, no baffled tank, high center of gravity, etc, etc, and pick - replacing exisiting vehicle, that is 41 years old.
    Last edited by batt403; 04-28-2007 at 05:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool I'd call it a tanker

Having No brush truck should outscore everyone with a brush truck of any age or condition. And first time purchases for existing missions get high priority. I'd keep it as a tanker at 41 years old to lower the average age of my fleet. No expert, just my two cents.

One thing I would note is that you say this vehicle has never been used or placed in service?

I don't think it necessarily should be listed anywhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with Sly on this--if it's not in service, it's not a vehicle. (we own a '64 that is retired--it's not on our inventory. On the other hand, our '84 this is temporarily out of servic--until it gets brakes--is in the inventory)

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

From the caption where you list apparatus: How many vehicles does your organization have in each of the types or classs of vehicle listed below? You must include vehicles that are leased or on long-term loan as well as any vehicles that have been ordered or otherwise currently under contract for purchase or lease by your organization but not yet in your possession. I would think the truck would fall under the description. However, Fighting41NY brings up a good point, it could technically be a tanker, is it not?

We used to have one and have several departments around us that had one that the primary use was as a tanker. However, with a small pump and a booster reel, it makes a helluva heavy brush truck. Either way, the age is going to help pull down the average age of the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    I'm with Sly on this--if it's not in service, it's not a vehicle. (we own a '64 that is retired--it's not on our inventory. On the other hand, our '84 this is temporarily out of servic--until it gets brakes--is in the inventory)

earl
    If it is not in service yet, I would not list it. You are still building it from a chassis so if it does not roll, I don't count it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    If it is not in service yet, I would not list it. You are still building it from a chassis so if it does not roll, I don't count it.
    Did something change or did I misunderstand something along the way? I thought that if it was being built, in your possession, or even budgeted, you had to count it?

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Did something change or did I misunderstand something along the way? I thought that if it was being built, in your possession, or even budgeted, you had to count it?
    Let me just go to the horse's mouth and find out for sure; stay tuned!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate it, this might have an impact on my information as well.

OK the question posed was:

Department has a old military 6 x 6 chassis given to them on loan for DoF . They have had it for two years and are slowly turning it into a heavy brush truck/tanker for them but, the vehicle has yet to be put in service and has not rolled on any calls. Should it be listed as being in inventory?

Answer from Fire Grants Program Office was:

Depends. How much longer the vehicle is going to be under construction? If they reasonably expect the vehicle will be in service before the New Year, then yes, include it. If they’re gonna take another two years, no. If they’re applying for a vehicle, yes even if they won’t expect to have it operational any time soon (with a qualifier in the narrative that it’s under construction).
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks folks for the info. I have printed the comments and gave it to the chief of the dept. No offense ment to them or anyone else who does there own work but I would be suprised if it would make it into service within the next year. They truly are one of the "needy" one's. They are applying for a brush truck ---I think.

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

What! Does this mean you are talking to yourself.

Had to take a short break getting ready to hit the submit button in a little bit. I think.

T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    What! Does this mean you are talking to yourself.

Had to take a short break getting ready to hit the submit button in a little bit. I think.

T.J.
    At this stage of the game heck,not only am I talking to myself, but I'm answering myself also.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

So by the same token, if a vehicle has been out of service for the last 2 years with no hopes of returning it to service due to age and lack of parts, and said vehicle is a forest service loaner, does that mean that we do not have one?

I think the difference is "out of service" vs. never been placed in service.

We have been in the process of replacing a utility vehicle for our Fire Police personnel over the last 10 months. The old one was sold (unit placed OOS) and the new one is not yet in service, but will be soon. I listed it.

Quote Originally Posted by taz223 View Post
    So by the same token, if a vehicle has been out of service for the last 2 years with no hopes of returning it to service due to age and lack of parts, and said vehicle is a forest service loaner, does that mean that we do not have one?

If this vehicle is on loan, couldn't you just give it back? Then there would be nothing to count.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information