Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default I just want opinions.

What do you all think about an Assistant Chief being a Fire Department trustee also? Do you believe there could be a lot of conflicts of intrest?

If you guyus tell me what you think of that then I will tell you more about the fiasco that is tearing my FD apart.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Well..........

Quote Originally Posted by tfdping1018 View Post
    What do you all think about an Assistant Chief being a Fire Department trustee also? Do you believe there could be a lot of conflicts of intrest?

If you guyus tell me what you think of that then I will tell you more about the fiasco that is tearing my FD apart.

Nowhere near enough information here to form an opinion.
    1. What State are you talking about?
    2. What does a Trustee do?
    3. How is the Trustee placed in the position?
    4. Is the trustee required to be a Fire Dept. member and/or a qualified Firefighter/Officer?

I understand the Assistant Chief part very well, having been one for 12 years.

We don't have Trustees here, so my questions are to get me informed on the subject.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Are fire trustees elected? If so, there probably isn't a damn thing you can do about this situation. Firefighters (even Assistant Chiefs) don't give up their political rights when they join a fire department.

Could there be conflicts of interest? Sure. The way to handle that is for the trustee to carefully follow whatever your state's recusal guidelines might be.

In my Department, Trustee and Chief are so unrelated, it's not even a consideration.

You need to give a little more detail.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just about everywhere I have ever heard, Asst Chief is obviously an operational position, while trustee is on the admin side of the house. It's 2 different hats. If anything I think it would be a good thing (I'm both a Asst. cheif and a trustee). Unless your chief has no life whatsoever and can go to every meeting of every committee, then haveing ops folks on admin is a huge benefit. The info the admin side is discussing will no doubt affect the operations side, and vice versa. That Asst. Chief can be the link between the 2, and it's a win win situation!!

Are you talking about a trustee for your fd or a trustee for the township you live in? I think we need some info. But one would think that quote unquote the fd would be taken care of and not put on the back burner right?

Forum Member

sorry guys I can't talk about this anymore. There will probably be an investigation coming in the very near future so i don't want to talk about this much more. Again I'm sorry and hopefully this will be over soon, because people are at each others throats.

sorry guys I can't talk about this anymore. There will probably be an investigation coming in the very near future so i don't want to talk about this much more. Again I'm sorry and hopefully this will be over soon, because people are at each others throats.
    Then why did you even ask the question? Good Luck!

Forum Member

If I recall correctly, you are the same guy whose department was in a feud with the public works department, and whose membership was seriously divided by a heavy-handed tobacco ban. Is that right?

Didn't your mommies ever teach you about playing nice with the other children?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=randsc;804603]If I recall correctly, you are the same guy whose department was in a feud with the public works department, and whose membership was seriously divided by a heavy-handed tobacco ban. Is that right?QUOTE]

Yes your right.

I asked the question because I was wonderig if any other departments had problems like us. Most of this is all stemming from one group, and their leader has alot of power.

Forum Member

Like Hwoods said, a lot more information is needed.

That situation isn't unusual in CT or MA.

My fire company (incorporated) in CT has the three Chief Officers as voting members of the Board of Directors as part of being Chiefs.

Go over the line into small towns in MA it's not unusual to see the FD run by a municipally-appointed Board of Fire Engineers -- who in turn appoint themselves as the Chief, Deputy Chief, ***'t Chief, etc of the Department.

Thread Information