Thread: FDs in Colorado

Forum Member

Default FDs in Colorado

The wife and I would like to move to Colorado, originally we were going to in two years after we finish college. However, I wouldn't mind looking to move out there this summer.
    Does anyone know of any departments that are hiring or will be hiring in the summer? I'm currently a volunteer (Jan 07) and will have my fire 1/2 and emt-b after this summer.
    I'm thinking of Winter Park, Longmont, Ft. Collins, Aurora, etc... the Denver area in general.
    Thanks for the help,
    Tim

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Take the "DRCOG" exam that will cover about 12 depts, google it! then start checking everyones websites for future hiring..........there are a lot of oppertunities here but it is EXTREMLY COMPETITIVE!!!!! we had over 130 apps for 3 spots last year in my small Dept!!!!!
    It would be a lot easier with a P behind your EMT though, there is currently a push for Dept's to start doing transport.
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Yes, Colorado departments are extremely competitive. I would definitely have a plan for other work because it could take you awhile to work your way into a paid department. Colorado has many volunteer departments and if you do move here, I would suggest that you join one if there is one in your community. Get some experience doing volunteer and many times it can help you to land a place on a paid dept. If you are truly serious about a position on a paid dept. I would get your EMT-I or EMT-P as they are preferred.
    S.Davis
    EMT-B/FF1/ARFF

Forum Member

Yea, I currently volunteer out here in Missouri. I am getting my degree in Physical Education K-12 (2 years left) so I have a fall back plan. I still dont know if I want to go full-time or just volunteer, either way it's fun. Any tips on good places to live or departments to work for? I visited Winter Park over the Winter and had a blast skiing etc, so I want to live somewhere pretty close to the mountains. Right now I'm working on getting my fire 1 & 2 and EMT-B this Fall. I might go for my medic license, but we'll see what happens down the road.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Forum Member

Default Wakehead

I heard that there is a recent opening for Aurora!! Hey Wakehead, I am a FF/EMT(in Medic school right now) for a Florida FD. I have been on for 6 years and I want to go back to Colorado REAL BAD. I used to live in Littleton for over 6 years and I just miss it sooo bad. I grew up in south Florida and now I live up in Orlando and I just really dislike Florida ALOT. I am 39 yrs. young. What are my chances out there once i get my Medic license? thanks bro.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Aurora is always accepting Laterals(3 years in Colorado already Colo FF1)
    As far as your situation, I would say not bad, with the medic Cert that is, most Depts here are starting to figure out that the Bus will pay for it self....mostly, and put two more FF in the house, not to mention the great PR it gives... what you need to figure is where you want to live there are so many small Depts here it is mind boggling..as far as being 39... I just got picked up at 37... your expierience will help alot..
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Wakehead, stay safe bro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pancho,

If you do move to the Denver area, come do a ride-a-long with Wheat Ridge. I would be glad to talk to you about our Volunteer program. I will warn you though, it's a pretty intense time requirement the first six months.

WRFDTO

Forum Member

Yea, more and more lately I've been thinking about staying volunteer. Where is your department located and what all do you guys do? Rescue, ems, fire?

Forum Member

You might want to take a look at areas on the western slope.
    Grand junction is one of the largest cities in Colorado and on the western slope near the Colorado/Utah border. The City of Grand Junction has a paid dept. with five stations. There are several surrounding communities with a total of 8 volunteer or combination departments. We have tons of recreation opportunities including ski areas. The nearest one being about a 30 minute drive. Several others within an hours drive. Mesa State College in just now starting to offer an EMT-B certification program with or without a BS degree. They will also be offering EMT-I and P in the near future. They also have a good physical ed. program.
    I highly recommend that you visit both sides of the state. They differ quite a bit in terrain and lifestyle.
    S.Davis
    EMT-B/FF1/ARFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Pancho,

We are located on the North West corner of Denver. We do everything but transport.

WRFDTO

Thread Information