Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default First Responder SOG or SOP

Our dept just got certified on First Responder.
    Anyone got a copy of an SOG or SOP I can review as to set ours up for our department. firedepo@hotmail.com

Forum Member

I'll see if I can't find anything and get back with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly what kind of SOP are you looking for? As first responders (I'm assuming you mean your firefighters got certified as opposed to "the department"), you're essentially following AHA (or another groups) guidelines. Or are you looking into when, where, how, why, they get dispatched and respond, etc.? "First Responder" SOP is kind of vague.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had eight members of the department take the First Responder For the Fire Department through MU. According to instructors I have to have an SOG or SOP stating that the First Responders are only qualified to there training level, and have a medical director on record. I do not have anything on medical in our SOG's and looking for an example on wording it correctly.
    We have the possibility of losing the ambulance service in our area so I am getting ready the best we can. Hard to do for volunteer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing against your instructors, I'm sure they are well qualified, but I have never heard of such a thing. If you want to make sure, contact the Missouri Bureau of EMS. That will get it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. They may even be able to help you out with the protocols, even.

The only issue I see is that technically Missouri does not recognize First Responders. At least not in the same way they do EMT and EMT-P. From my understanding, they fall into the "Good Samaritan" laws so long as they don't breach the lines of negligence and practicing without a license. No offense intended with this remark, but first responders are essentially advanced first aid providers (or slightly downgraded EMTs, if you like that analogy better ).

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks , I think you nailed it on the head. It is the standard university of Missouri handling the training and not getting the info correct to the players. I will check the site and see about getting the protocols, just need something to cover me. yes it is one step above the basic first aid, its more training in the books and possibly a step to the emt side. gotta take baby steps you know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREDEPO View Post
    thanks , I think you nailed it on the head. It is the standard university of Missouri handling the training and not getting the info correct to the players. I will check the site and see about getting the protocols, just need something to cover me. yes it is one step above the basic first aid, its more training in the books and possibly a step to the emt side. gotta take baby steps you know.
    I completely understand. You're where I was 6-7 years ago. Next step is to get some of those guys in EMT class if at all possible. Don't take my sarcastic remarks about FR's wrong, I've got a number of them and wouldn't trade them. It was just to reinforce my point.

Anything I can ever help you with, let me know. My email is under my user name or drop a PM. I'll do what I can.

You can actaully google search for those. I would call them SOG's and not SOP's when you get them in place.

Regardless of who recognizes what, your community is better off today then they were before your people took the course.

We did MU's Medical First responer for Fire Departments about 6 years ago.
    It is a step up from basic first aid. Kind of mirrors the old Red Cross BLS stuff, Bleeding Breathing broken bones and some truama.

If I remember right you do need a doctor for a medical cordinator and a set of protocals.( what you can do and how to do it)

Really a good program for vol departments when EMS is away.

Thread Information