Forum Member

Default Driving Problems

In the headlines nowadays, all you see is, "Fire truck crashes enroute to call". I think (No offense to you engineers out there, and i am not saying you do this) that when they receive that fire/medical call, they want to get there as fast as they can, but most of the time its not the safest. Sometimes it could be a motorists fault, or something other than the driver. Do you guys think that this is the problem?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Duck!!.............

Incoming........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Where is Dave and his picture.

T.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Incoming........

i just think that its an issue that needs to be discussed because lots of people are getting hurt from firetruck roll overs. I don't want to point the finger at anyone, i just want to know what everyone else thinks what the problem is.

Forum Member

Calling the dead horse to Aisle 4... Dead horse to aisle 4
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

-------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alpha4 View Post
    i just think that its an issue that needs to be discussed because lots of people are getting hurt from firetruck roll overs. I don't want to point the finger at anyone, i just want to know what everyone else thinks what the problem is.
    One of the problems is stopping at green lights.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

How about we look at it from a different angle.........could the apparatus be designed so that the center of gravity is lower......well, then we would probably just drive faster!

Forum Member

thanks for your answers guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by alpha4 View Post
    The problem is that a big red truck is trying to get somewhere in a hurry, but everybody else on the road is trying to get somewhere in a hurry too.....on a cell phone............... with the radio too loud........and with screaming children.....and a hamburger in their hand........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    The problem is that a big red truck is trying to get somewhere in a hurry, but everybody else on the road is trying to get somewhere in a hurry too.....on a cell phone............... with the radio too loud........and with screaming children.....and a hamburger in their hand........
    ...and it doesn't help that it seems today's Driver Education programs seem to be inculcating a "ME FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!" attitude in our newer drivers.
    Of course there's also the larger social commentary about the individual selfishness and "me, me, me"-ness of our culture these days, too...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

I love the people who stop in the middle of both lanes when I'm driving and wont budge. They just sit there and wave their hands up in the air....

course, I'm waving two fingers back at them

and the best are the ones who just keep driving right in front of you while you airhorn them and use the Q. Apparently they think that they are more important....

Forum Member

Lightbulb

When I rode in the right seat of the Engine, I would find myself putting the backs of my hands together and spreading them apart, much like Moses parting the Red Sea.. sometimes, it actually worked!

Now that I am in the car, I find myself going out the door last and following the parade of the BRT's parting the sea for me!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And...........

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    ...and it doesn't help that it seems today's Driver Education programs seem to be inculcating a "ME FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!" attitude in our newer drivers.

I really don't know what the Driving Schools are teaching these days. In Maryland, if you get a ticket, and are found guilty, of certain violations, you can go to a Driver Improvement Program and avoid the fine. The local D.I.P. (Poetic Justice) is held in the Community hall in our station, and the instructors are a couple of cops. We stood out front a couple of months ago as everyone was leaving after class and watched as 32 out of 45 of them ran the Stop sign on the way out. Next night's activities included an Attitude Adjustment hour.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Such a good horse that was . Our new trucks have some sort of roll stability control on them Sparton cab Crimson engine. It works when the Computer senses that the truck body is going to far to the side in a turn it takes the accelerator from you. Or puts the truck in idle and when it senses the truck is more level you get the pedel power back. It does work but to well the first street turn from the station is a hard left and it does it everytime. But the truck companies are trying to find ways to help with the truck height and rolling problems. And JHR I agree the Q and horn and no one moves and act like you are stupid for driving with you lights and sirens going.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Of course there's also the larger social commentary about the individual selfishness and "me, me, me"-ness of our culture these days, too...
    That is mostlikely why they call my generation. "Generation ME" If I remember correctly. I don't know much about the accidents but I doubt it is one thing that if it was fixed all the problems would be gone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    That is mostlikely why they call my generation. "Generation ME" If I remember correctly. I don't know much about the accidents but I doubt it is one thing that if it was fixed all the problems would be gone.
    After 1982 or so? I think you belong to "Generation Y"...so named because whenever anyone tells or asks any of you to do something, the first word out of your mouths is: "Why?"

I love the people who stop in the middle of both lanes when I'm driving and wont budge. They just sit there and wave their hands up in the air....

course, I'm waving two fingers back at them
    That's why you have a PA feature on your siren panel.... so you can very loudly proclaim: "Will the blue Mercedes blocking the intersection please pull the F over?!?!?!"
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

That's why there is an extended bumper on the truck. Who needs to stop at red lights, just push them out of the way!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ccfdblehman View Post
    Calling the dead horse to Aisle 4... Dead horse to aisle 4
    I guess as long as guys keep wrecking trucks it isn't a dead horse. Maybe some day it will sink in and they will stop wrecking the trucks.

FYI, according to the research Generation Y is more likely to take what they are told and run with it, unlike the previous generation that learned to question authority and ask why. It all has to do with the state od society and the world when they grew up. The generation X folks grew up during such fine things as the Viet Nam war, Watergate, Assinations, and tons of deceit by the government and authorities. Is it any wonder we don't trust those people.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Where's Josh and his "Excuse me Sir, but we're over here" arrows????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Lets be honest.

How many fire apparatus accidents were there in 2006?
    How many fire apparatus responded to calls in 2006?

i just think that its an issue that needs to be discussed because lots of people are getting hurt from firetruck roll overs
    It has been discussed many times on these forums.

Drive with common sense.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Drive with common sense.
    AMEN Brother. It's been said and heard before, and we've about "Forum'd" it out, however it is a valid concern for all drivers.

Most folks out on the street assume that because we drive those big red trucks with all the lights, bells and sirens, we must be specially trained. I mean specially trained, as a regular commercial driver is trained. In many places the apparatus driver does carry a commercial grade licence. They do in British Columbia - its the law there, for any vehicle with three or more axles. Fairfax County does not on the other hand. All drivers here get a waiver on that requirement, but that does not preclude the operator from driving with all the due regard that is expected of a commercial driver.

That all being said and done, one of the things that my military driving instructor (who also contracted to the FD as a driver examiner) said, we as fire apparatus drivers have to not only drive our own vehicle, but we have to be aware of and do our best to be prepared to "drive" for other people. What he meant by that is that we have to be ready to react to the changes in traffic patterns that we cause when we run code 3 (priority 1 for you S'uth'rn folk ) We've all seen it, and it was commented earlier in this thread, about the driver that stopped, while straddling two lanes and refused to move, waving his hands in the air. Nothing like a little W.T.F. in the middle of street or intersection to get the adrenaline really going. Personally, I'd rather do without it, but thats always going to be a factor when responding to an immediate emergency.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

If you crash you just delay treatment longer, unless its life or death it isn't worth it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Lets be honest.

How many fire apparatus accidents were there in 2006?
    How many fire apparatus responded to calls in 2006?

It has been discussed many times on these forums.

Drive with common sense.
    Must be the message isn't getting through, let's keep hammering and maybe someday the hotrods will wake up.

Thread Information