MembersZone Subscriber

Default nashville or bust

anyone know anything new about nashville like a final count of applicants? is the physical agility just pass or fail or is it counted into your overall score just curious not rally that important im just excited to go to tennessee i love that state. good luck everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

heard about 800. Don't know about agility.

Read

eatstress.com

Don McNea fire school

MembersZone Subscriber

so i'm still wondering, is the agility the same day as the written test. I know that it said in the notice, but I don't really see how they could process that many people for two tests in one day, even if they split it up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    so i'm still wondering, is the agility the same day as the written test. I know that it said in the notice, but I don't really see how they could process that many people for two tests in one day, even if they split it up.
    It looks like everyone from out of town (of some distance) was scheduled for their CPAT and written on the same day--I guess to help the out-a-towners out a bit. Most everyone that is local (or somewhat local) has taken his/her written and will take the CPAT the last week of May/first week of June.

And what they told us during the written was that the PAT would be combined with your written score to give you an overall score and thus a ranking on where you stand.

MembersZone Subscriber

ahhh, okay. that makes sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

so is it the standard CPAT??? or do they have their own variation?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pat

Would someone that knows please tell of what the nashville pat consists of. When i took the written test all that was said was that it is the same as the one 3 years before with an aerial climb. I did not take the one prior so other than the aerial climb i have no idea. Also is there a time limit on each section.

Master Firefighter

I too am looking for information regarding the test. I have 1 week till I make the trip down and would like some more info. I have been working on getting ready for about 3 weeks and am able to make it through the stair portion with 65lbs. I dont think I will have an issue even though it will not be easy.

PipemanE1

I was told the agility test consists of climbing an aerial in full gear and lift various objects and placing them in certain areas. I was just wondering if we have to use their gear or can we bring our own gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default nashville final list

I was told that after the scores are made on tests and the list is made that if a candidate is not at least in the top 100 the chances of getting in a class before the list expires is very slim. Just wondering if there is any truth to this. Also does anyone know if the ranking on the list is made of just the written and pat scores or does education,experience, interview and location help with points also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Ok, I hate to sound like a wuss, but i have somewhat a fear of heights. Ill climb, ride, whatever during a fire scene or emergency no problem. But to climb an aerial just for the fun of it is not my cup of tea. Can someone please tell us if this is a true cpat or just made up. I am over 500 miles from Nashville and if it is a true 102 ft Aerial id like to know so i dont waste my time and money. $3.19 a gallon is not cool. Thanks guys, and I know im a wuss....Lol Thanks again!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ladder climb is required. Not sure of the rest.

Master Firefighter

I dont like to reproduce emails sent to me but all I did was email someone in training and they sent me an email with all the specs including pay, benefits and the whole process. The ladder is only 85ft

MembersZone Subscriber

okay, so there is an aerial climb, what else is being tested in the agility??

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm hearing that a lot of people are having the pat and the written on the same day, but I only got notice for the written...did anyone else just receive notice for the written? I am already here in Nashville and hoping I did not miss it...

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the written exam on 4/25. they told us the pat for locals would be scheduled the last week of may and first week of june. As of today i recived nothing by email or mail telling me when the pat is or what my staus was on the written test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the information! I got there and took my test and no pat so I guess I will get my e-mail just like the locals. I live about 7 hours away so I was not quite sure if I was considered in close proximity or not. But good luck to you dsmns! Hope to see you at the pat!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pat

I have nashville pat next week still know nothing but the aerial climb, please someone must know what else is on the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was it me or wa that a VERY VERY stupid test? To me it was pointless and worthless. I drove over 1100 miles over the past two days and spent money on fuel and a hotel to leave very disappointed....I think those type of test are worthless and have no reason to be given to a firefighter....how about the question driving down the road and trying to figure how long it will take till you get there...or trying to pry the nail out of the board and how much pressure or whatever it will take? Freakin stupid....and to answer ur question about the physical part...if you get past the 85 ft. ladder climb ur in!! As far as im concerned civil service tests like that are a complete joke!

MembersZone Subscriber

can anyone break down what the agility consists of ???

MembersZone Subscriber

there is the 85ft aerial climb, pass/fail. then climbing up and down 2 flights of stairs with a rill of hose on your shoulder, dragging 100ft of hose, lifting 40lbs up on a platform about 4 ft off the ground and putting it back down, and dummy drag of 50ft, dummy weighs 175 lbs. there you are

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the breakdown. The aerial climb is pass/fail but does your time affect your final points and is there a time limit. Also is there a time limit on the other parts are is it just when you finish is the your time. Do you go immediatley from the aerial climb to the other parts are is there a break and did you have to wear any type of weight device like a vest or gear. THanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if and or when any surrounding depts. are hiring? Like Murfreesboro, Franklin, Hendersonville, Lebanon?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

this might not help much but might get you started...the lt. at the written explained there will be a
    1. high rise pack carry 3 story
    2. fan placement - up to the table and down 2 times
    3. dummy drag - 175lbs.

that is what I know for sure. im pretty sure he said in 6 minutes. there might be one more event that I am missing but i am pretty sure that is it, can't quite remember the details like how long you have to drag the dummy...sory but hope that helps. good luck!

Forum Member

NFD is one of the most political agencies I have seen. I don't mean to sound hypocritical, but I was born and raised in Nashville. I tested with NFD over 10 years ago. As far as it sounds, the written and physical agility are still the same. If everything is still the same as it was back then, if you don't know someone with the agency or not a minority, your chances are extremely slim. Having an EMT license will possibly help.

The TN Highway Patrol had a huge shake-up because of the politics involved in getting hired. To be honest, they couldn't touch NFD in comparison.

Again, that was several years ago, and hopefully things have changed, but from talking with other FF's with NFD, it doesn't sound like it.

Thread Information