A bit of background. I grew up in fire stations. My grandfather and stepfather are both retired captains, I've got 2 uncles who are a chief and asst. chief respectively, and several cousins on the job as well (this is all in New England, btw)

Anyway, I'm 29 and live in the Los Angeles area. From the time I was a little kid until my late teens, I wanted to become a firefighter. Long story short, that didn't happen because in my late teens I sort of fell into a career in the television industry. It's a good career and all, but I can't shake the feeling that I should be doing something more important...something that gives back to the community and helps people.

That brings me to where I am today. I'm 29, married, with a house and a mortgage and a kid on the way. And this firefighting bug hasn't stopped biting even after all these years.

I'd be interested in trying to join the LAFD or LACoFD. I have absolutely no idea whether or not this is a realistic goal.

So, a couple of questions.

1) Am I too old to even consider this career change?

2) Do I have a realistic shot of getting on even though I'm not a medic?

3) What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I shake this bug? (that's more of a rhetorical question)

4) I realize that I don't know what I don't know. So, forumites, what don't I know?

Thanks. I appreciate your input.