Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default SCBA mask Question

We are requesting 10 SCBA's each with an extra cylinder and mask. Our supplier is telling us that we also need to request an additional 15 masks to provide a mask to each of our 25 firefighters. He says that this is the new standard. This really raises the amount we are asking for as each additional mask is $500. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know myself if it is required, but we asked for masks for all of our firefighters and received them without a problem. I think it's a good idea.

Beth

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not believe there is any requirement within NFPA 1500 or NFPA 1981 requiring individual masks, but NFPA 1500 implies it. NFPA 1500 requires fit testing of the firefighters. Why? One size does not fit all. Along with sanitary reasons, departments have put in for individual masks for these reasons and have been awarded.

If you don't request individual masks, what will you have on board 10 large, 10 xlarge, 10 small or some combination. The only way to safely protect your firefighters is with individual masks.

There is no standard, no rule, no law, that states each FF must have their own mask. They only state a FF must have the correct size.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Hey all....thanks for the info...you're great! My narrative already includes a mask for each firefighter, so I'll leave it in there then.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    They only state a FF must have the correct size.

And be successfully fit tested. The salesman will probaby try to sell you on the fact that you cannot guarantee a fit test on any mask other than the one they were tested with. You can't guarantee the fit test after a couple of days of stubble growth or and extra ten pounds at Christmas either, so I think the point is mute.

We are trying to build up to individual masks, but without your slick grant system, it is going to take a couple of years.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 05-02-2007 at 03:26 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information