MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volunteering to help a dept. with grant researching and writing?

First, I should introduce myself because I'm in a quite different position than the rest of you, but I still thought it would be a good idea to learn what I can from the people of this forum.

My name is David Bragg and I've recently seperated from the Navy where I served for five years as a helicopter rescue swimmer and door gunner. I now have my eyes set on becoming a firefighter in Washington state (South Puget Sound area.) I'm currently working on completing my B.A. from the University of Washington and as part of my minor in Fundraising Management I have been afforded the opportunity to receive 10 credits (2 classes) for completing two internship programs and naturally, I would love to do something pertaining to firefighting.

Here's the problem, I'm up against a timeline for starting these intern programs and I don't have any depts. that I'm strongly associated with as of yet. I'm in the very early stages of becoming a volunteer at a small dept. close to my house, but they still don't really know who I am and I've also had brief, but very friendly encounters with each of the two local headquarters near my home in (Olympia and Lacey.) I'm not sure which dept. I should approach for a possible volunteer/internship program in helping them with any of their fundraising research/grantwriting tasks and was hoping that maybe someone here can give me some advice.

From all of your experience, do you think that there is a way that I can make this sort of internship work without getting in the way of a dept's. important work? If so, do you have any suggestions about how I should specifically approach them in seeking such an opportunity?

Thank you very much for your time and help! I'm looking forward to reading all of the existing posts on here to learn what I can from all of your experiences.

Respectfully,

David Bragg

Forum Member

I would like to talk to you. E mail me and I will fill you in.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dbbragg1 View Post
    First, I should introduce myself because I'm in a quite different position than the rest of you, but I still thought it would be a good idea to learn what I can from the people of this forum.

My name is David Bragg and I've recently seperated from the Navy where I served for five years as a helicopter rescue swimmer and door gunner. I now have my eyes set on becoming a firefighter in Washington state (South Puget Sound area.) I'm currently working on completing my B.A. from the University of Washington and as part of my minor in Fundraising Management I have been afforded the opportunity to receive 10 credits (2 classes) for completing two internship programs and naturally, I would love to do something pertaining to firefighting.

Here's the problem, I'm up against a timeline for starting these intern programs and I don't have any depts. that I'm strongly associated with as of yet. I'm in the very early stages of becoming a volunteer at a small dept. close to my house, but they still don't really know who I am and I've also had brief, but very friendly encounters with each of the two local headquarters near my home in (Olympia and Lacey.) I'm not sure which dept. I should approach for a possible volunteer/internship program in helping them with any of their fundraising research/grantwriting tasks and was hoping that maybe someone here can give me some advice.

From all of your experience, do you think that there is a way that I can make this sort of internship work without getting in the way of a dept's. important work? If so, do you have any suggestions about how I should specifically approach them in seeking such an opportunity?

Thank you very much for your time and help! I'm looking forward to reading all of the existing posts on here to learn what I can from all of your experiences.

Respectfully,

David Bragg

David give me a call at 800-992-0272 EXt 3111 I'll help you out.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information