Thread: W T F ???

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Angry W T F ???

I can not believe this story.... Or maybe I should? All I could think was "What a Jerk."

D.C. Man Sues Dry Cleaner For $67 Million
    Plaintiff Claims Dry Cleaner Lost His Pants

POSTED: 3:40 pm EDT May 2, 2007
    UPDATED: 3:53 pm EDT May 2, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Every now and then, something taken to a dry cleaner's doesn't come back, and now a D.C. man is suing his dry cleaner for millions over a pair of pants.

Roy Pearson said that two years ago, he took the pants from a pinstripe suit to a D.C. dry cleaner for alterations. He claims they lost the pants and tried to pass off a pair of gray slacks as his.

Christopher Manning, the lawyer for the couple who owns the business, Jin and Soo Chung, said those gray slacks were the pants Pearson dropped off.

"He did not drop off any pants that had red or blue or any other pinstripes," Manning said.

The Chungs eventually offered to pay $12,000 to settle the dispute, NBC News Pete Williams reported.

"We can't sleep properly," said Jin Chung, who emigrated from Korea in 1992, through a translator. "We cannot eat properly. We can't function properly, because this is always on our mind."

Pearson, a local judge who declined to be interviewed, is hoping to sue the pants off the cleaners, asking for $67 million in damages. He claims the Chungs committed fraud when they put up signs that said "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

Pearson's suing under a consumer protection law that allows fines for each day of what he claims are multiple violations, which, along with asking for $15,000 to lease a car to get to a different dry cleaner, is how he gets to $67 million, Williams reported.

Victor Schwartz, an advocate for changing the legal system, said consumer laws are open to abuse.

"They were designed to protect consumers against real fraud, misstatements that could hurt somebody, not for a small business that says 'satisfaction guaranteed,'" Schwartz said.

Manning said he's never seen a lawsuit like it.

"They came here," Manning said. "They started a cleaner's, and a mere 10 years later, they found that dream has become a nightmare at the hands of Roy Pearson."

The case goes to trial next month with the Chungs hoping they don't get taken to the cleaner's.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

"Welcome to America", I guess.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Welcome to America is right...

I can't seem to figure out where he comes up with 67 Million... at most he deserves what.... 50 bucks for a nice pair of pants, and maybe a couple hundred for "pain and suffering/mental anguish"

What a tool.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It was the "along with asking for $15,000 to lease a car to get to a different dry cleaner" that got me worked up on this one.

Personally, I would say "Nice try. Please come again."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    What a tool.
    No, He's the whole toolbox.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

This F@*@ing judge know the laws and it looks like he purposely waited two years to rack up the law suit. Where he he gets his figures is $15,000 for each charge per day times 700 and some days equals a hell alot of money. Another lawyer just using the system to try and grab money off these business owners. Here in Kansas you have two years to file a civil suit and it looks like they may have the same law there. I can not believe they offered him $12,000 to settle but it looks like they are scared and trying to make it right, but this jerk is taking advantage of them and thier ignorance of the civil laws. I hope they have a good lawyer, to help them. But their lawyer probably belongs to the same country club and will work it out there over a few drinks while patting each other on the back.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think this is crazy. Maybe I'll start leasing out my pick up for some extre side cash. What kind of vehicle costs 15,000 a day? We're all in the wrong business.

MembersZone Subscriber

Further update from this Sick Jerk.

Judge Drops Pants From Suit Against Dry Cleaners
    Suit Now Stands At $54 Million

POSTED: 1:48 pm EDT June 6, 2007

WASHINGTON -- A customer who believes he was mistreated by a dry cleaner has dropped the pants from his suit.

Roy Pearson filed a $67 million lawsuit against the dry cleaning business that lost his pants, but now he has lowered his demand -- to just $54 million.

Instead of the lost pants, he's now focusing his claims on signs that were once in the shop that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

But an attorney for the family that owns the business said no reasonable person would interpret the signs to be an unconditional promise of satisfaction. He doesn't expect Pearson to win any compensation when the trial starts June 11.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Badgerland FOOL

Down to $54 million...I guess he has a heart after all.....(please note the sarcasm).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    Down to $54 million...I guess he has a heart after all.....(please note the sarcasm).
    Ya no kidding. What a dork this guy is. Hope he looses!

Badgerland FOOL

Not only loses but gets disbarred and hit by a bus on his way out of the courtroom. Then we would have true justice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only loses but gets disbarred and hit by a bus on his way out of the courtroom. Then we would have true justice.
    Well. Not sure about being disbarred, but being hit by a bus in the Metro DC area is about 1:10 shot of becoming reality, the way everyone around here drives and walks against red lights.... I see at least one near-miss with pedestrians vs vehicles every week. There were three reported incidents just in the past 5 days.

Badgerland FOOL

Talking

Wow, sorry didn't realize that one hit so close to home!

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad to see he lowered his standards. Should get D_BAG of the year award.

MembersZone Subscriber

We could only wish!

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw some of the news report last night.. I almost choked on my dinner when I heard that he "broke down in tears" at one point....

[Pricey Pants Case Against Dry Cleaner Begins
    Judge Seeks $54 Million

POSTED: 2:29 pm EDT June 12, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:26 pm EDT June 12, 2007

WASHINGTON -- A judge who is seeking $54 million from a dry cleaner that lost his pants said he is acting in the interests of all D.C. residents.

In opening statements of his civil trial on Tuesday, Roy Pearson, who is arguing his own case, claimed signs at Custom Cleaners that read "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service" were misleading to thousands of customers. The signs have since been removed.

Related: Take Survey Watch The Report {Mal note: the polls read 90% say he is wrong for wasting time and taxpayer money on this one - DO YA THINK?}

A lawyer for the defendants, the Chungs, said no reasonable person would interpret the signs as an unconditional promise of satisfaction.

Pearson, a D.C. administrative law judge, called several witnesses who have patronized Custom Cleaners. Each testified they stopped going there after a routine mishap.

Dr. Grace Hewell said Custom Cleaners ruined a pair of her suit pants, and when she asked for satisfaction, she was chased away, News4's Chris Gordon reported.

According to Gordon, Pearson himself testified on Tuesday, and at one point he became choked up, asked the judge for a break and left the courtroom to gather himself.

A lawyer for the Chung family, which owns the cleaners, said the family misplaced the judge's pants but soon found them. Chris Manning also said Pearson has a history of filing egregious lawsuits.

Pearson originally sued the Chungs for $67 million under D.C.'s consumer protection law. Last month, he modified his lawsuit to focus on the signs.

Previously, the Chungs offered Pearson settlements of $3,000, $4,000 and $12,000, but he refused them, Gordon reported. On Tuesday, the Chungs asked the judge to reward them court costs and attorney fees if Pearson loses the case.

The case is being heard in D.C. Superior Court.

Previous Stories:

June 6, 2007: Judge Drops Pants From Suit Against Dry Cleaners
    May 2, 2007: D.C. Man Sues Dry Cleaner For $67 Million

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I had to wonder how much he paid those other folks to say "I was not happy with the service either."

WHAT A JERK!

Badgerland FOOL

A judge who is seeking $54 million from a dry cleaner that lost his pants said he is acting in the interests of all D.C. residents.

At least he is not doing it for selfish reasons....

I almost choked on my dinner when I heard that he "broke down in tears" at one point....

Choked on your dinner or choked back tears?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Judge Drops Pants From Suit Against Dry Cleaners
    And here I thought this was about to go in a totally different direction...

I think the whole thing is BS, and this "Judge" is a JO. At the same time...
    But an attorney for the family that owns the business said no reasonable person would interpret the signs to be an unconditional promise of satisfaction.
    I don't think the words "reasonable" or "interpret" should be used by any defense attorney. Way too vague to base a defense on. The sign does not imply a contract, nor does it put a price on satisfaction, or even WHO it is that has to be satisfied.

At a minimum since the "judge" dropped the physical damage of the case (lost pants), he has also lost the basis by which he determined his damages. Even if the logic behind his damages were right (which they weren't), he can no longer apply them to this case.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

I almost choked on my dinner when I heard that he "broke down in tears" at one point....

Choked on your dinner or choked back tears?
    He must have studied at the Paris Hilton School for Courtroom Behavior.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard this morning he's charging himself something like $400/hr to represent himself. If he wins, I'm sure the poor defendant is going to have to pay for his legal fees.

One more example of what's wrong with our judicial system.

Badgerland FOOL

Angry Update

Part of the Judge's claim is legal fees...the catch is he's his own attorney. So the ********* is actually billing himself for his own time he's wasting on this stupid issue. Then passing the savings on to a small business owner....OMG he is more of butthead than I thought...if that's possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I saw some of the news report last night.. I almost choked on my dinner when I heard that he "broke down in tears" at one point....
    :
    I saw that as well, and thought what a little bitch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    I saw that as well, and thought what a little bitch.
    HAHAHAAA. I had a similar image.... while I was choking on dinner. I still can't believe where he gets off asking for 54 million. Even if he "wins", I hope he rots in hell or whatever his religious equivilant of that is.
    ========
    STILL JERK

Judge To Make Ruling In Pricey Pants Lawsuit Next Week
    Administrative Law Judge Sues Cleaners For $54 Million

POSTED: 2:29 pm EDT June 12, 2007
    UPDATED: 9:00 am EDT June 14, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The administrative law judge who's suing a cleaner for $54 million over a pair of pants wrapped up his case on Wednesday.

Roy Pearson Pearson is suing the owners of Custom Cleaners, who allegedly lost his pants in 2005. Pearson said he is acting in the interests of all D.C. residents against what he said are poor business practices.

On Wednesday, the judge presiding over the case announced that she would give a verdict in the case next week.

Survey: Take Survey
    Video: Watch The Report

In opening statements of his civil trial on Tuesday, Pearson, who is arguing his own case, claimed signs at Custom Cleaners that read "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service" were misleading to thousands of customers. The signs have since been removed.

A lawyer for the defendants, the family that owns Custom Cleaners, said no reasonable person would interpret the signs as an unconditional promise of satisfaction.

Pearson called several witnesses Tuesday who have patronized Custom Cleaners. Each testified they stopped going there after a routine mishap.

Dr. Grace Hewell said Custom Cleaners ruined a pair of her suit pants and when she asked for satisfaction, she was chased away, News4's Chris Gordon reported.

According to Gordon, Pearson himself testified on Tuesday, and at one point he became choked up, asked the judge for a break and left the courtroom to gather himself.

Chris Manning, a lawyer for the Chung family, which owns the cleaners, said the family misplaced the judge's pants but soon found them. Manning also said Pearson has a history of filing egregious lawsuits.

Pearson originally sued the Chungs for $67 million under D.C.'s consumer protection law. Last month, he modified his lawsuit to focus on the signs.

Previously, the Chungs offered Pearson settlements of $3,000, $4,000 and $12,000, but he refused them, Gordon reported. On Tuesday, the Chungs asked the judge to reward them court costs and attorney fees if Pearson loses the case.

Stay with News4 and nbc4.com for complete coverage.

Previous Stories:
    June 6, 2007: Judge Drops Pants From Suit Against Dry Cleaners
    May 2, 2007: D.C. Man Sues Dry Cleaner For $67 Million

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 06-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Forum Member

and the moral of the story is don't cry over lost pants

Forum Member

Angry

Gee.. I wonder how big business finds ways around the law. Judges like this would be my answer. Throw a couple Bennys my way and things will work out fine. What an idiot and disgrace. I think there is a Tiki bar on some small island that needs a firefighter.....lol

Badgerland FOOL

Any word on the ruling in this case...just want to know if I need to break out the winter clothes again in case he wins and hell freezes over.

Thread Information