Forum Member

Default Advice on possible "laundry list"

We are applying for a breathing air compressor and fill station this year. We already have the cascade system. Approximate cost is $56,000.

Additionaly we decided to ask for scba fit testing equipment, approx $11,000.

Now, we are thinking of asking for 23 scba facepieces that we would have fitted with above equipment and assigned to each firefighter. Approx cost is $20,700.

Do you think we are asking for too much? Is asking for facepieces not a good idea since we are not getting complete SCBA?

Thanks and happy submitting!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire View Post
    We are applying for a breathing air compressor and fill station this year. We already have the cascade system. Approximate cost is $56,000.

Additionaly we decided to ask for scba fit testing equipment, approx $11,000.

Now, we are thinking of asking for 23 scba facepieces that we would have fitted with above equipment and assigned to each firefighter. Approx cost is $20,700.

Do you think we are asking for too much? Is asking for facepieces not a good idea since we are not getting complete SCBA?

Thanks and happy submitting!
    At $900 per mask, you'll never get that by the computer and if you do, they are going to ask for a reduction if you get an award.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

kurt...finishing up a quint narrative, have you ever glanced over any after they had been submitted?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by steelman View Post
    kurt...finishing up a quint narrative, have you ever glanced over any after they had been submitted?
    Sure all the time, kurtb@chiefsupply.com
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

awesome, i will send it tomorrow after i hit the button....it probably doesnt have a snowballs chance...it's the first time in my life that i actually sustained writers block for about a week..........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    At $900 per mask, you'll never get that by the computer and if you do, they are going to ask for a reduction if you get an award.
    Hmm, that is the quote we got from our MSA dealer. How much of a reduction?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire View Post
    Hmm, that is the quote we got from our MSA dealer. How much of a reduction?

The max I saw in the quotes I worked with this year was about 5757-600, most were around 475. You need to tell that guy to sharpen his pencil.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    The max I saw in the quotes I worked with this year was about 5757-600, most were around 475. You need to tell that guy to sharpen his pencil.
    Ok. Thanks for that information! I'll call him up in the morning.

So, let's say the price is ok. Do you think we should add them in the request?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure.Its the completet solution to what oyu were staing was the problem, nobody has a fitted mask.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually pickup MSA SCBA Masks with HUD for around $500 from our local dealer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire View Post
    We usually pickup MSA SCBA Masks with HUD for around $500 from our local dealer.
    Hmmm. I'll have to check into that. I don't want to ask for $500 apiece, then not being ablt to get them for less than $800-900. We don't have the money to make the different.

The mask we would be a getting is:

MSA UltraElite facepiece with nosecup, Speed On head harness, HUD receiver and Clear Command voice amplifier.

Anything about that make them more expensive.

MembersZone Subscriber

...as far as the 'laundry list' issue, let me tell you what I did last year:

We put together a grant for an Exhaust system for 2 stations, 30 sets of boots, 12 handheld and 6 mobile radios and a fitness initiative. But we put these 4 items into an overall improvement of our fire department. We showed how bad radios (that werent narrowband compliant) and bad boots could contribute to ff safety....along with clearing up our breathing in the station and getting ourselves into better shape (2 cardiac issues within last 5 years - only 16 ff's).

We didnt just ask for a shopping list though...it was a sharp analysis of our department's needs in order to get our members healthie and put them in the best position to safely do their jobs. I think you can easily justify the laundry list you need, as long as you tie it all together. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thanks Dobieg. You're right, if you can justify it, you can do about anything. I just worry because I think some of my success (3 for 4) is because of concentrating on one thing.

Anyway, seems like the voice amplifier might be the extra cost. I think we may just go for the compressor this year.

Thread Information