Thread: Thanks

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on these threads. The information found here is often times more helpful than trying to decipher the govermentese in the guidance docs. Every time someone who is new to the wonderful world of grants asks about grant info I refer them here. The knowledge base here is remarkable. Thanks and good luck to all who submitted! You can't win if you don't play.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bsfd121 View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on these threads. The information found here is often times more helpful than trying to decipher the govermentese in the guidance docs. Every time someone who is new to the wonderful world of grants asks about grant info I refer them here. The knowledge base here is remarkable. Thanks and good luck to all who submitted! You can't win if you don't play.
    Its a pleasure to see someone use the infromation provided to their advantage. You have to have a passion for this work to do it everyday and it is my pleasure to serve you all and help wherever I can.Good luck.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen--Thanks to all of you!! The progress our department has made over the past few years wouldn't have happened without this forum. A special thanks goes out to Kurt Bradley for investing hours (and days!!) to my education.

Good luck to all.

earl

Forum Member

I would also like to say THANKS to everyone!!

Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

I too have to thank everyone who participates on this forum. There is such a wealth of knowledge here. It i wonderful to see so many poeple helping each other. Only in the fire service!!! Thanks! Not to forget Kurt Bradley who puts up with all of us "Thanks Guy" Good luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks To All

I also want to thank everyone, Kurt, Brian, Earl, and others. If it had not been for me setting here days on end soaking up all that I could I would have been completely in the dark (am most days anyway), when they told me I was to write the grant for a neighboring department. Without all of you I would not have been able to do it.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, the deadline has now passed as I'm typing and the waiting game begins. As we all know firefighters are a special breed of people. The camaraderie and bond that we know as the brotherhood/sisterhood is epitomized here on the forums each day. It doesn't matter if you are call, volunteer or career. The folks that frequent this site are there to help their fellow firefighters reach that goal; a successful grant. Ideas and opinions are respected whether they differ from our own or not and folks are not belittled for asking questions. Thank you for all that help out and Good Luck to all.

Forum Member

Default Me too

I too would like to say thanks to all here that offer their assistance and advice to others. I'm glad to be a part of something where competitiveness is put aside for the goal of helping others strive for something better.

My hats off to you all!!
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    I also want to thank everyone, Kurt, Brian, Earl, and others.

T.J.
    Well, it isn't bad to be 2/3 right. I'd scratch Earl off that list and add in:

onebugle (who has every PG and NFPA Code memorized)

neiowa (King of Recycling--if Junk Yard Wars comes back, he's on my team!!)

k3twp (recipient of 132 SAFER awards and counting)

Limeforever (who said fire trucks gotta be red??)

not2l84u2 (aka Big Daddy--has a car seat mounted on his Hawg)

imafireman (fighting more than grant apps--and doen't look like Leon Spinks!!)

And the list goes on and on and on....
    And i'm going home now!!

earl (is peer review done yet?? Geez, what's taking so long????)

MembersZone Subscriber

So Brian, are you submerged in the Yuengling yet?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Shhhhhh, you'll wake up Brian.

If that man drinks half the Mountain Dew and Red Bull and he talks about, he's gonna have a sever withdrawal attack in the morning.

earl

Forum Member

Ditto on the thanks to all who share their knowledge . No one person can have all the knowledge and know how to get through the grant process. What it shows is that we are all brothers in life!
    Ed

Forum Member

I agree many thanks, you can tell no one on here works for the federal goverment. Here you ask a question, and get an answer within seconds, and they are usually right. Thanks to all for the help.

Forum Member

I too want to say thanks to all the people who ask and respond to the questions on here. Special thanks to Kurt for guiding me through my application. You too earl. You help a fellow Hoosier alot.

Dwayne

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    So Brian, are you submerged in the Yuengling yet?
    No, ran out unfortunately, but I've got other concoctions I can handle. I nice hard apple cider right now while I update the database. Maybe tomorrow night I'll light up the Jack Daniels soaked cigar I picked up in Lynchburg while I was there. A nice little back patio unwinding smoke until FP&S and SAFER kick up here soon.

I'd like to thank everyone for the trust and confidence y'all have shown in me over the past few years to let me work on your applications to the point that this is now my full-time occupation. Still think of myself as just another guy showing up when the pager goes off yet got to handle around 500 apps this year and just got invited to speak at FH Central in Orlando in October on top of Expo in July. Hard to believe that I get to make my living helping other people get lots of money for what they need. This is so much better than living out Dilbert it ain't even funny.

And just so y'all don't think I never slept at all while I did handle every app but I had some help from a couple under-gurus for about 100 of them. Which I'll need again, looks like I'll be on the road hitting close to 40 states for free workshops again starting in Sept or October. Hello frequent flier miles...

Forum Member

Default Brian

I think i should have had you do our application too. I read another thread about the cost benefit formula which i didnt list in my narrative. Will that kick us out of running?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The cost-benefit formulas are only done (at least I only do them) for project decisions for people. No real reason to have them in the narratives, it's the computer that does those calcs, not Peer. Sometimes trying to explain the calculations out people trip up or forget steps in the equations. At that point you're at risk that a reviewer knows their math inside out and dismisses the entire app on that point. Same reason you never argue you're in a different classification than they put you in. So if it says you're Rural, don't argue you're suburban. The formulas are standard federal guidelines not up for debate, and if you can't debate it properly Peer can dismiss on that sole point not the merit of the app itself. Seen it happen many times. Peer is about marketing your problem and solution in the most concise space possible.

And just 'cause I did a lot of apps doesn't mean I need to do everyone's, or that someone can't get funded doing the exact opposite. Like I said in another thread, many denied apps are from project design, not narrative. Project design is the foundation, do it wrong and the house of cards comes down. I had one applicant back on their heels before I got the real answers from them on their project. The way they sold the solution to me said they were creating their own problem for the solution to fix. Simple solution was 'stop doing that'. Had to make them think before they gave me the real answer, so that I could give a valid problem statement and argue the solution.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to all who provided answers, but also to those who asked the questions. I am a Town Clerk and deal with other federal grant programs. The AFG program is so easy to work with, it is hard to imagine that it is a federal program. I think that the practice of having "Peer Review" is the most outstanding and practical concept that the federal government has ever instituted.

Forum Member

Thanks to all who help on here. Big thanks to Kurt who had to help me pull my head out of my a** after a severe case of writers block. I ened up doing about 8 apps for area departments. I cant imagine doing as many as Kurt and Brian. A well deserved trip to Las Vegas is next on my agenda..June 20th..Soon as school lets out for summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman8611 View Post
    I too want to say thanks to all the people who ask and respond to the questions on here. Special thanks to Kurt for guiding me through my application. You too earl. You help a fellow Hoosier alot.

Dwayne
    Good luck on the tanker/tender--i'd grant you one based on what we read. (i think Sue wrote about 10 or 12 checks to fund projects this year. If only she had the power to levy taxes to make then cashable....)

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Big Thank You to Kurt

Thanks again for your help. I learned alot again this year. Even though I am no longer a part of the dept. I wrote for this year and got awarded for last year I think we have a strong app. and I hope with all my heart they get awarded again this year. I still live in the town and the better their equipped the better they will be if my house burns.

If it was not for the gurus on here helping all of us I don't know what we would do. I hope that I can attend one of the seminars this year. I would really like to meet that man who has helped me so much so far.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Big Thanks

Icame on here to say thanks for all you people that helped and discuss things on the grants. this was the first year i found this forum thing, new to this side of computer work. we applied to AFG 02,03,04,05,06. It would have been a lot easer with this help i had reading info here. we got grant if 05 for pumper and everyone that read my naritive said that is what got it done. thanks again to every one this was great and also intertaining reading. randym stfpd301

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks from down south. Maybe Kurt and Earl will help us in getting our 1st AFG. Thanks again to all of the answered questions on these post.
    Gentlemen, good luck

Just checked, no 1199 yet!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1 View Post
    Thanks from down south. Maybe Kurt and Earl will help us in getting our 1st AFG. Thanks again to all of the answered questions on these post.
    Gentlemen, good luck

Just checked, no 1199 yet!
    Scott, it's a little early for the 1199, but i just checked mine too--making sure the FP number was still on there. I swear, between the time the 1199 updates and the announcement is made--that's when i look most often!!

earl

Thread Information