MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congressional Support

Any idea on how much these letters of support help in getting funded?

Any opinions/experiences?
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT284 View Post
    Any idea on how much these letters of support help in getting funded?

Any opinions/experiences?
    The reviewer's will never see them but, at tech review before award they are present in the original file. Be sure you go on AFG website under their FAQS and get the proper address to send LOS to and be sure that when you ask for the letters from the Congressionals that you have them include a reference to your application number.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    The reviewer's will never see them but, at tech review before award they are present in the original file. Be sure you go on AFG website under their FAQS and get the proper address to send LOS to and be sure that when you ask for the letters from the Congressionals that you have them include a reference to your application number.
    So does this mean they have any merit or is it a waste of time? I know I hated to see this process politicized, but if it will help we can garner the letters.

MembersZone Subscriber

My opinion, expressed often...It may not help us get awarded, but it can't hurt if we're on the edge.

MOST IMPORTANT......
    By including a copy of your narrative with the request for the letter, your Congressional office will be exposed to the plight of fire departments, and they are the ones who have to make tough votes on the budget. In a sense, asking for a letter of support is a form of lobbying. I can't speak for every District, but i know that in ours the narratives get read. We can tell that from the letter of support.

Please, if you applied--ask for support so that they are aware of the issues we face on a day to day basis. If we don't tell them, they ain't gonna know!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    My opinion, expressed often...It may not help us get awarded, but it can't hurt if we're on the edge.

MOST IMPORTANT......
    By including a copy of your narrative with the request for the letter, your Congressional office will be exposed to the plight of fire departments, and they are the ones who have to make tough votes on the budget. In a sense, asking for a letter of support is a form of lobbying. I can't speak for every District, but i know that in ours the narratives get read. We can tell that from the letter of support.

Please, if you applied--ask for support so that they are aware of the issues we face on a day to day basis. If we don't tell them, they ain't gonna know!!

earl
    Could not have said it better myself
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

You did say it yourself--i only memorized it. Guy.

earl (is it time to deprogram??)

Forum Member

Don't let Earl kid you, we all just got plain donuts and coffee, the lady that sat through seminar from the congressmans office got the ons with sprinkles and a cup of Starbucks. Careful with the quotes from Kurt, next thing you know it will be snowing up there again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Don't let Earl kid you, we all just got plain donuts and coffee, the lady that sat through seminar from the congressmans office got the ons with sprinkles and a cup of Starbucks. Careful with the quotes from Kurt, next thing you know it will be snowing up there again.
    Didnt I read something on here about a strange taste in the coffee during Earls seminar. Now I understand why the starbucks for the lady from the congessmans office. Hey Earl, I believe Kurt is looking for a place to do seminars in the northern states sometime in January. Are you ready to do it again? If the interest is there I believe Alum Bank would host again!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Let's check the cost/benefit formula here....

One good donut and one cup of quality coffee. 31 competitors and my Congressional Grants Liason. Son, there's a point where Brotherhood stops!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

MOST IMPORTANT......

One more thought--local letters of support aren't likely to make a lick of difference on the AFG award, ever. But what better way to make it known to your local lawmakers what your needs are. If 20,000 departments shared their AFG requests with their town/township/county/parish officials (how about your state legislators or governor???)....do you think somebody might get a wake up call??????????

earl (geez, i quoted myself. wierd. egocentric. never again)

Forum Member

One more thought--local letters of support aren't likely to make a lick of difference on the AFG award, ever. But what better way to make it known to your local lawmakers what your needs are. If 20,000 departments shared their AFG requests with their town/township/county/parish officials (how about your state legislators or governor???)....do you think somebody might get a wake up call??????????

earl (geez, i quoted myself. wierd. egocentric. never again)
    That aint as bad as answering your own questions. When you start doing that your in deep sh#$. Hey earl, are you going to Indy on the 9th for chiefs day at the track?? I plan to be there.

Dwayne

Forum Member

Ima..We would love to host down here in Johnstown PA. Ill have to talk to Kurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman8611 View Post
    That aint as bad as answering your own questions. When you start doing that your in deep sh#$. Hey earl, are you going to Indy on the 9th for chiefs day at the track?? I plan to be there.

Dwayne
    Nah, my helmet's black!! I was in Indy the last 2 weekends working the little track, next weekend at Chicagoland, two weeks later in Indy to work the USAC race (Night Before the 500). I'm hoping we'll get a call from the DNR and i'll head down your way to sign off on that. With the price of gas, i might have to ride my bicycle down there!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Attack6 View Post
    Ima..We would love to host down here in Johnstown PA. Ill have to talk to Kurt.
    Attack, you know the number. Get on the books now, premium dates filling fast
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Attack, you know the number. Get on the books now, premium dates filling fast
    Premium dates, or fair weather dates???????? We all know you do not appreciate driving from Pittsburgh.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    Premium dates, or fair weather dates???????? We all know you do not appreciate driving from Pittsburgh.

Kelly
    Heck, after this past year, in PA and IN, It will be a piece of cake this time.I'm a seasoned pro now!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Heck, after this past year, in PA and IN, It will be a piece of cake this time.I'm a seasoned pro now!
    It sounds like Tom is interested in hosting one of your seminars Kurt, and if that doesnt work and you need a place in Pennsylvania to put one on, I am willing to do the work for you again. It is the least my department could do after all of your help with our grants and our community finance problem. Just remember, I did offer to drive out to Pittsburgh to pick you up!! I am still getting compliments on the editorial that was written. We are at a snails pace with our township supervisors, but it appears they are willing to help us with finances. I will update you all more as this progresses.

Kelly

Thread Information