MembersZone Subscriber

Default IFSAC and Pro Board Frustration

I have been a paid on call firefighter for 3 yrs. Before that I was US Air Force(4 yrs) I have been trying to get a job with the Department of Navy (Federal Firefighter) I have some posts and information traded on the Military Forum. However this post relates to IFSAC and Pro Board accreditations. I am FF II, Hazmat Ops, NREMT-B, and Tech Rescue certified with the State of Illinois. However Illinois is not IFSAC or Pro Board accredited. I am having a difficult time figuring how to get my certifications accredited by one of these organizations. I talked with a woman from Missouri Fire Marshals office. I would have to retake (or take their state exams) and complete the practicals at a local Missouri FD.

Working a full-time job this is not practical.

Is there a way to get this all done online, or have the Illinois system reviewed? There has to be a better way!!!

Forum Member

IFSAC and Pro Board accredit the training programs at "certain training facilities". If you want a certificate accredited by either of these, then you will have to take the course from some one who is already accredited by them. There is no "transfer" option.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep....

Illinois at one time participated in IFSAC accreditation. Don't know why but now they do not. Looks like I cannot get certified or accredited what-ever you call it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another option that you could look at is getting your IFSAC certs from a fire school. Many are only a week long. I had to go back trough everything when I got my current position bacause I came from a non-IFSAC state and the DOD wouldn't allow reciprocity.

Forum Member

Contact the Bucks County (Pa.) Fire & Emergency Services Training Center. They have a division set up specifically for Pro Board Certification for the Federal Fire Service. There should be someone there that could tell you how/if to convert your existing credentials to Pro Board Certs. They are a top-notch outfit, and should be able to help you, or at the very least guide you in the right direction.

http://www.bucks.edu/publicsafety/main_county_list.html
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I got in contact with Bucks County. Thanks for the information.

I could not reschedule a vacation to make the weekend testing there September 22/23. So I am waiting on the 08' schedule to come out. I have not heard from Great Lakes, so I have more time. With the government there is nothing but time. So I hope to get my FF1&2, Hazmat Aw&Ops in a one weekend shot.

Forum Member

Unless you are looking for a job in a department that specifically requires/accepts IFSAC or ProBoard certs, having them is no more useful than having the certs you already possess.

Are you looking for a particular job that requires/accepts IFSAC or ProBoard certs? If not, I wouldn't suggest going out of your way just to get them. If, OTOH, you ever take a FFII certification course etc. through an agency approved by IFSAC/ProBoard for any other reason, I would definitely suggest spending the extra fees to get the cert registered with one or both national boards.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Ifsac

Your question about IFSAC. They accreditied the testing process and not the training program. IL used to be accreditted by IFSAC, but is no longer.

Where ever you go, ask if you can challenge the the NFPA standards by testing.

Any questions, email me back at wayne_bailey642@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Default Just wondering...

You mentioned you were in the Air Force, was it as a Firefighter? I am guessing not because the FF certs in the Air Force are all IFSAC. I am guessing you are going to have to challenge the tests which shouldn't be a problem, you will just have to study the material again before taking the written tests and complete the practical evolutions and homework to get the certifications.

Forum Member

Default Ifsac/Proboard

As stated before, you need to get IFSAC or Proboard to work DOD. Another option if you know someone that works at a DOD Fire Department, you could see if they would allow you to do complete the CDC. I have HEARD of people whom had worked in different fields in the military, being able to complete a CDC after they were discharged. You need a hook up though. CDC is a product we have for civilians and the AD/Reserves where you study on your own in a sense and basically challenge the exam and skills. They are accreditated by both IFSAC and PROBOARD. And so you know proboard is the NFPA (they have the same address).

In any education adventure it is in your best interest to attend schools that are accredited nationally. Between the 2 of them they have most states covered. I have been a firefighter for 10 years, and have been able to jump to 3 different states now becuase I had training that was supported in most places. It is just like those people who let their NREMT go because the state doesnt require it only to be scrambling to get it again when an opportunity arises. You do not want to narrow your choices. I love this job, and I took specific steps to ensure that no matter what happens I am able to have this job no matter where I live (for the most part), I am able to start the hiring process and not worry about how I am going to get new credentials. Dont sell yourself short.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCFFPM View Post
    CDC is a product we have for civilians and the AD/Reserves where you study on your own in a sense and basically challenge the exam and skills.
    If you take the CDC, you don't need to challenge the test. One is given to you at the end. Once you past the test, the skills portion will be set up for you to take.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    If you take the CDC, you don't need to challenge the test. One is given to you at the end. Once you past the test, the skills portion will be set up for you to take.
    What I meant it is like challenging a class. Meaning you dont attend any classes, you just study for it. It is somewhat of a joke, but it gets you the cert. I did Inspector II and Hazmat IC, and they are very easy.

Default Try this to transfer certs.

If you were a fire fighter in the military, then you can got to www.theproboard.org. There you will be able to move on with your Pro Board Certificates. It does cost $15.00 per cetificate but it is worth it in the long run.. I am basically in the Same boat with Michigan. I have been a fire fighter with the Michigan Army National Guard for almost ten years and none of my certs will transfer over. But the Military is IFSAC and they should trans fer to Pro Board. So give it a look and see what they can do.

Forum Member

Default No reciprocity?

I am a career FF in Illinois, which is a non-IFSAC state to my understanding. If I wanted to apply to a Missouri FD, am I out of luck on reciprocity? Are there any options aside from retesting?

Thread Information