Forum Member

Default Dual Pumping Operations -outdated?

If you have supplied two engines from a single strong hydrant , could you descibe the incident and your results. I'm updating our pump operator training program. Currently we instruct students how to utilize this proceedure in the event the IC requires elevated flow rates. I'm being led in the direction that this is old and outdated and should be removed from the course. Any thoughts?

first engine on hydrant -starts fire fighting ops( sprinkler/standpipe, exposure matersteams ect...
    second engine arrives -goes pump steamer to steamer with first engine.
    (Supplies additional hand lines or materstream as required.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by training6604 View Post
    If you have supplied two engines from a single strong hydrant , could you descibe the incident and your results. I'm updating our pump operator training program. Currently we instruct students how to utilize this proceedure in the event the IC requires elevated flow rates. I'm being led in the direction that this is old and outdated and should be removed from the course. Any thoughts?

first engine on hydrant -starts fire fighting ops( sprinkler/standpipe, exposure matersteams ect...
    second engine arrives -goes pump steamer to steamer with first engine.
    (Supplies additional hand lines or materstream as required.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dual Pumping is a great resource. Why would you want to tell operators that they can't go that route just because you haven't done it for a while.
    I have only been involved in Dual operations a few times, and each time it worked great.
    The last time, the first engine layed in to a fully involved (under construction) 8000 Sq Ft. home. They lit off their deck gun, and both transverse lines.
    When we pulled up, my FF's pulled both of our transverse lines and went to work. I rolled out a 50' section of 5" and made my connection to the first engines storz valve and to mine. (Intake to intake) I took his left over water and made my change over.
    Worked like a charm.
    It would have sucked eggs to have my Capt tell me that we couldn't do that because it was "old and outdated". If it works, expose the new operators and allow them the flexability down the road.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tandem Pumping Why Teach it?

Typically this technique is demonstrated and several students are asked to perform this in both directions. That is to hook up without shutting down the first engine and then to disconnect the second engine, again without shutting down the first engine. We have a fairly good water supply where 20 mains and 12 mains are common in high value districts. Problem is that hydrant spacing is from 700 to 1000 ft. This technique is absolutely essential when additional water is needed, but it is not practical to set up 1,000 ft + relay operations. The second place the technique gets put in place is to supplement an attack engine with a second source of supply (tanker shuttle). Once a 2 engine relay has been achieved, and the water supply is inadequate at the attack engine, it is possible to place a drop tank along side the attack engine, fill the port-a-tank , and then hook up hard sleeve on the fly. This open ended relay also makes the relay a whole lot safer.

Forum Member

Smile Tandem / dual pumping operations.

First off I would say this. Tandem puming is an old operation. But it does have it's place and time. You may only use it once or twice in an entire career. But the one time that old school Chief tells you to set it up it would be nice to know what your doing. I know this happened to me once.
    Some other food for thought. With trucks going to CAFS systems less water is being required. This in turn leaves more water available from the hydrant to send down the line to another cafs equiped truck or even a stanard pumper. You just have to remember your job as an operator is to GET YOUR CREW HOME SAFE, so pay attention to your gauges and your truck. SOOOOoh I think YES you should teach it. It could verywell make you look like a genious some day. Anyone who says this will never be used, well never say never. Anything can happen out here.
    Last edited by robyfd; 05-19-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

Default Tandem Pumping

Why is this being referred to as an "old" operation? So is stretching handlines but we still do it.

With the common use of LDH supply line, tandem pumping is easier than ever. Engines connected to a 5" supply line will have more residual than if connected to 2-1/2" or 3".

The only thing I teach regarding tandem pumping is:

- the "donor" engine must have all required lines flowing first
    - the engines should be visible, or at least in good radio contact
    - communications between engineers is essential

Forum Member

Iam not a FF,but if it works why not let the new guys know about it. We have things in my line of work,that we do not use much anymore. But they are still in the traing manuals as back ups.

Thread Information