Forum Member

Default Fort Worth Round 3

We were told yesterday that they're calling up the next 125 people on the list for a 3rd class starting Oct 1.

Forum Member

In addition to that, they're having another test around December-January with an expected hire date around March '08. They're looking to pull 2 classes of that test.

If you want to work for Fort Worth this is the time.

Forum Member

Do yall know anything about their tuition reimbursement? I looked through the online paperwork stuff and found a little bit about it. If I can actually get on this next time around I will still have a few clases left and was wondering if they pay even if it is not "fire" related. Agavegrove, have you taken clases while working? (Also maynerd, but I think I remember you saying you had not worked for a dept before) I was just wondering how that worked out, being you have to miss at least one class a week? Thanks for the help as usual!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Do yall know anything about their tuition reimbursement? I looked through the online paperwork stuff and found a little bit about it. If I can actually get on this next time around I will still have a few clases left and was wondering if they pay even if it is not "fire" related. Agavegrove, have you taken clases while working? (Also maynerd, but I think I remember you saying you had not worked for a dept before) I was just wondering how that worked out, being you have to miss at least one class a week? Thanks for the help as usual!
    They go over it the first few days when they do all the orientation stuff. I can't remember specifically what it's about. When I worked for San Angelo I took stuff like ACLS, PALS, etc. No college courses. I finished college before I got hired on.

Other firefighters that have talked to us say they swap shifts with a guy on another shift ("trade time"). Ex. You're on A shift. You'll have FF Joe from B shift come in and work the 6 hours you're in class on your duty days.

Forum Member

for the previous groups, what was the testing like?
    is the polygraph nerve racking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbfd0496 View Post
    for the previous groups, what was the testing like?
    is the polygraph nerve racking?
    Which part of the testing? The written? Overall you have to apply, take the written, then they call the top 75-125 back (last time it was 100). Then you do a physical agility test, fill out a background packet, meet with a background investigator, fill out a prepolygraph book which is essentially the same as the background packet. You take the polygraph, then move on to the oral interview board. If hired you do a 100' aerial climb and blacked out SCBA mask test, then a medical eval.

The poly wasn't bad. Don't lie and when you get in there don't stress. Don't let the poly people jack with you and it's pretty easy.

MembersZone Subscriber

The poly wasn't bad. Don't lie and when you get in there don't stress. Don't let the poly people jack with you and it's pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

i'll agree poly wasn't bad at all. tell the truth. everyone has skeletons in their closet. my poly examiner was pretty cool, some guys said theirs was an ***. but they do try to get you a little excited and nervous by telling you that they can and will be able to pick out every lie. don't let it get to you and tell the damned truth

Forum Member

i took the polygraph friday. it was complete bull****. i dont know how else to put it. the thing was inaccurate. im going in for my oral between the 21st and the 26th. any helpful advice about the poly being wrong. im going to volunteer to take a second one, or even better yet take sodium penathol to prove it was wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

dude, i would not volunteer to take a second one. don't even let them know it bothered you unless they ask.i'm sure nerves factored into it a little but i really don't know what to tell you. if you just prove yourself to the people in the interview (should be the same board we had) then there is no problem. i would focus on preparation for the interview and not worying about the polygraph. interveiw is now, the polygraph is old news for you now. just keep focused and you will be in the next class.

good luck man and we hope to see you in the future.

trevor

Forum Member

ok, thanks for the advice. i was worried that it would have a huge effect on my oral interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

well, it may and may not be brought up in you interview. just be prepared for it to pop up just in case cause they will ask questions about background. i know they did in mine and i've kept my nose clean since i was young.

good luck to ya,

trevor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbfd0496 View Post
    i took the polygraph friday. it was complete bull****. i dont know how else to put it. the thing was inaccurate. im going in for my oral between the 21st and the 26th. any helpful advice about the poly being wrong. im going to volunteer to take a second one, or even better yet take sodium penathol to prove it was wrong.
    trevolp's right. Don't take another poly. My experience with this poly and another dept I worked for was that the poly was to get candidates freaked out so that they divulged information they originally hadn't put on the background packet. That way they'd be caught lying. I'm think there was a guy that found out at the interview that he failed the poly outright. They hired him anyway.

Focus on the interview. Don't answer just "yes/no." Everytime you answer a question throw in something of how you will benefit the dept if you're hired. Not too much, just a short blurb. Be confident but don't sound cocky/arrogant. Look the person asking the question in the eye and answer back to that person.

Forum Member

hows the academy going? yall should be done with the EMT portion right?

Forum Member

This coming week is our last week of rideouts. Everyone passed the class final. Most are still waiting to take the NREMT. Fire starts the 25th which also means starting the official timed runs.

Forum Member

hows the class coming along? did they ever pull a third class? also, is the next test still slated for mid-late fall?

MembersZone Subscriber

class is going well. yeah, third class has been chosen but the start date is in the air last i heard. maynerd or agavegrove might have more info on that. also last i heard is the test should be late fall to early 08 but i don't really know as i am not intending on taking it. again, one of the others might have more info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp View Post
    class is going well. yeah, third class has been chosen but the start date is in the air last i heard. maynerd or agavegrove might have more info on that. also last i heard is the test should be late fall to early 08 but i don't really know as i am not intending on taking it. again, one of the others might have more info.
    Best I've heard is that the 3rd class starts in October and they're testing in January. That's the latest rumor. Notice I said rumor.

Class is a lot better now that we're in fire. We got our mandatory timed runs out of the way so PT has changed to be both fun and productive instead of just plain "productive."

They're also serious about passing tests and passing the timed runs. We've lost 2 guys so far.

Forum Member

whats in the timed runs? is it the same as the original one that you took to get hired? or do they add some things? Did the guys that failed not make the min time or was it something else..like they couldnt complete something?

MembersZone Subscriber

one guy lost his job because he just didn't make the runs. it works on a points system and i could go into details but the basic idea is that if you mess up or don't get something done you get points, and 18 is the magic number. 18 means you are a out of the academy. he earned enough points from not making the runs in the required times that he was canned for it. The other guy is out because of academic reasons. if you don't keep high grades you get points and the same story occurs.

the runs are 1 1/2 mile, 1 3/4 mile and 2 mile. not overly challenging but still takes heart to push through and earn it.

Forum Member

ohhh, i thought you meant like this.. http://www.fortworthgov.org/fire/inf...t.aspx?id=2552

Agavegrove and Trevo, yall both took the San Antonio written right? I'm taking that in a couple of weeks and was wondering if it is similiar to the FW written.

MembersZone Subscriber

tech guy, the link you provided is for the physical ability test, which is during the hiring process. after hire, the standards are considerably higher and timed runs must be completed at or better than a predetermined time.

and yes, i took sa's test. it was in my opinion a little tougher as it had a memorization section. but other than that section the test were comparable.

good luck on san antonio's exam.

Forum Member

Question

Any of you guys know a guy named Brian Wyrick? He is suppose to be going through one of the Ft. Worth academies right now?

MembersZone Subscriber

yes he is currently in the same class as myself.

Forum Member

Talking

yes he is currently in the same class as myself.
    Cool. If you wouldn't mind tell him Larry from Henrietta says hi and that I have a Chief's interview next week.

Forum Member

tech guy, the link you provided is for the physical ability test, which is during the hiring process. after hire, the standards are considerably higher and timed runs must be completed at or better than a predetermined time.

and yes, i took sa's test. it was in my opinion a little tougher as it had a memorization section. but other than that section the test were comparable.

good luck on san antonio's exam.
    The memorization part, IIRC, contains enough questions to make or break your score on the test. The rest of the test is repetitive map reading, reading comp, and a few other things. If you want to do really well, bone up on memorization.

Wyrick is in our class.

Thread Information