Thread: running problem

Forum Member

Unhappy running problem

I'll try to keep this short.

During a hiring process the training staff advised buying good running shoes. I went to a running store, had my running analyzed. They recommended pronator correction shoes and I bought them. After running in them I noticed calf pain. I dismissed it thinking my legs were getting used to not pronating. I still ran ~5-10mi/wk with a combination of sprint intervals, hills, and long, slow runs.

My old pair never gave me any problems. I've put <90mi on them.

I got hired at the department and we did a 1.5mi run. I finished in 11:54. We also ran hills, power walked, and did other running circuits. Last Monday we did the 1.5 again and my time slipped to 12:32. The next day we ran again and I couldn't get a stride. I was jogging at a walking paces/stride. My PT officer was understanding and put me on bicycle/elliptical duty for the time being. I'm due to go to the clinic Monday.

I'm taking naproxen OTC 6x/day. Icing 2x/day after work; 4-6x/day on weekends. Resting as much as possible when at home. Stuff I cannot change are that we run on concrete, run hills (levees), and I cannot completely rest from all leg PT. I have gone back to using my old shoes.

The calf pain is dull on walking, sharper on running. I don't have full range of motion when walking so I shuffle some. The pain is posterior, at the bottom of the calf muscles, and around medially to the shin. It extends distally to the ankle. The pain isn't so severe that I can't jog. After I try to run I can hardly walk. The main problem is I have no leg power. I cannot open up my stride at all.

A condition of graduating academy is running a 1.5mi, 1.75mi, and 2mi run within a certain time. I've made my times on the practice runs. I have about 4 weeks before I have to do the first official 1.5mi run. Cardio's not a problem. I need some recommendations on how to heal my calves so that I can run.

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry it's so long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink go back

it is recommended to slowly wean into a new shoe. Especially if it is a different sole/support. You are changing the loadbearing angle your feet/ankles are used to so your calves and other muscles are trying to figure out what to do. I would recommend getting a new pair of the same shoe you had before. You can get older model shoes through www.roadrunnersports.com, just besure to alternate the old and new shoe for a few weeks to get used to the new shoes

MembersZone Subscriber

Couple of questions, does iceing it down make the pain any better when you get up and start walking agian? How long do you ice it down for, does stretching in any paticular way cause more discomfort than usual ie calf strech and where, does your tibia or akalies tendon cause you any pain with direct pressure. Sorry so many questions but it is hard to figure out without being able to see the problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink figure out?

Quote Originally Posted by killemfixem View Post
    Couple of questions, does iceing it down make the pain any better when you get up and start walking agian? How long do you ice it down for, does stretching in any paticular way cause more discomfort than usual ie calf strech and where, does your tibia or akalies tendon cause you any pain with direct pressure. Sorry so many questions but it is hard to figure out without being able to see the problem.
    What are you trying to figure out? From his history it is easy to see what has changed to cause this new issue. As a PT I have seen this happen time and time again. ANY drastic change and the body responds in this way

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by killemfixem View Post
    Thanks for you're help ogomez. I went back to my old shoes until this problem clears up. After I complete my PT standards I'll work on switching back.

Meanwhile my PT Lt sent me to the Dr. Dr says I sprained/strained both calves. In addition to the ice (2x/day for 20min on weekday, 4x/day for 20min on weekends) the Dr prescribed prednisone and physical therapy. I'm still on light duty PT wise. I go back to the Dr for 5 days to be re-evaluated

Thread Information