MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Worlds Biggest Firetruck Parade

Oh.. and there's an Apple Blossom Parade too.

Here are a few shots from the parade this year.

The first one is a truck that was originally owned by Vienna VFD, but they donated it to Ebony VFD in southern Va. Other than a small "edit" of the central "V" in our crest, changing it to an "E"...... Sadly though this truck has been out of service for some years, and apparently has spent some while sitting in the middle of a field somewhere.

The last one is also a Virginia fire dept, although I had to ask what a "Victoria" truck was doing this far EAST LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-05-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are the others (I was "Posting-ly challenged today for some reason)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

And another one or two....

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW.... who would paint their trucks GREEN??

MembersZone Subscriber

Skill testing question: Who has actually WORKED with one of these?

Forum Member

I saw a buch of old fire trucks on 17 on my way to richmond on friday they were going noth i was going south
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

deleted because I duplicated it
    Last edited by xltbob; 05-12-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Forum Member

The first one is a truck that was originally owned by Vienna VFD, but they donated it to Ebony VFD in southern Va. Other than a small "edit" of the central "V" in our crest, changing it to an "E"...... Sadly though this truck has been out of service for some years, and apparently has spent some while sitting in the middle of a field somewhere.

I can't tell you the memories that picture brings back. My father was Chief at Vienna for a while and I remember that pumper running as the reserve with one of the open cabs sitting in the back bay of the station. I want so badly to get one of those old Maxims for myself.

The one year in the last five that I don't make it to Apple Blossom and that pumper shows up.

Thanks for the picture!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your welcome Bob, and just to add a little flavour, because you'll likely know the names, Billy Ellis, Sam Savia and Charlie Singleton were with me on the '46 the day of the parade. Billy was driving, as usual.

If you get a chance, you should drop by the station some day. We've just completed a multi-million dollar reno (ok it was finished last year LOL) and some other things too. Or 'visit' us at www.vvfd.org.

Enjoy!

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted by user
    Last edited by superchef; 08-12-2007 at 06:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Skill testing question: Who has actually WORKED with one of these?
    I've used them....they came in handy back in the days of single-stage pumps, long relays, and straight tips. Many changes in the fire service (such as, large diameter hose, improved nozzles, larger tanks, education, drive trains, and technology, to name a few) have made them obselete on newer equipment. If you look hard enough, you may even be able to find a pocket-sized "engineers handbook" with the same info.

Looks like the parade was a fine affair. Sorry I missed it.

Forum Member

Your welcome Bob, and just to add a little flavour, because you'll likely know the names, Billy Ellis, Sam Savia and Charlie Singleton were with me on the '46 the day of the parade. Billy was driving, as usual.

If you get a chance, you should drop by the station some day. We've just completed a multi-million dollar reno (ok it was finished last year LOL) and some other things too. Or 'visit' us at www.vvfd.org.

Enjoy!
    I was there at the rededication ceremony. Steve Savia's speech was a great addition to the ceremony. And yes, I know those names very well. Billy is my dad. I remember sitting in the cab of the '46 back when it was rusting away in a shed out in western VA. I looked at the handwritten labels on the dash for the various switches and realizing that it was my dad's hand writing.

If I remember correctly, I think the Maxim pumper in your photo was the one the station used when the Town asked the station to water Water's baseball field one summer. Dad let me hop up and work the deck gun for a few minutes. That was sooo cool!
    Last edited by xltbob; 05-12-2007 at 11:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Billy is my dad.

WELL NOW! Don't that beat all? I think this world just a bit smaller still. There was a fella at the parade (not sure if he owned the Maxim or another truck), and saw Sam's name on his polo shirt, asked if he knew (dang if I can't remember the name of Sam's other brother, passed away). Anyhow, apparently this guys daughter lives somewhere near Ebony, and there is a resturant that has all sorts of firefighter memorbilia on the walls. Seems that the running coat of Sam's brother is on the wall too.

There was some rumbling between Charlie, Sam and Billy about the Maxim, I guess there was a "Gentleman's Agreement" regarding the sale of it, and they are not too happy (in a gentle sort of way) that its in the shape it is. The rumble was "Maybe he would sell it back to one of us" and then "What would you do if I got it first?"

Forum Member

[/b]

(dang if I can't remember the name of Sam's other brother, passed away). Anyhow, apparently this guys daughter lives somewhere near Ebony, and there is a resturant that has all sorts of firefighter memorbilia on the walls. Seems that the running coat of Sam's brother is on the wall too.

Al Savia is his name. My family visited him and his wife several times in Cocoa Beach FL. Real nice folks.

I was talking to my dad this morning about that pumper. I think he said that its now located in Madison VA.

I'm with Manassas VFD and I've had the chance to drive two of their older pumpers, a '66 Seagrave open cab and a '75 Hahn. I drove the Seagrave up to last years Apple Blossom. That was fun, now I'm hooked on the older pumpers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Bob, it didnt take long between when you talked with Billy and when I got an email message from him. LOL

And I hear ya about the old pumpers. I've always been an enthusiast about old cars but since being with Vienna, and the number of antique fire apparatus, espeically what I've seen Old Dominion come up with... well ya I'm hooked there too. Of course your Dad has something to do with that, and the 46 being in the station too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob, I worked bingo tonight, and Sam was there, so I told him I'd "met" you. He says "HI".

Thread Information