Forum Member

Default Oklahoma Openings

I am interested in knowing if any of you are trying to get hired by an Oklahoma dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, I have been trying for about 2 years. I just recently got accepted to the Tulsa Fire Academy. Do you have any specific place you are wanting to get hired? If you want to get on in Oklahoma City or Tulsa, run, don't walk to paramedic school. I did and it was the smartest decision I ever made. Bottom line is research the department you want to get hired with, find out if they have any engines that are ALS (paramedic) or if they run ambulances. If they do you can guarantee they want paramedics and it will put you at the top of the list. If they don't care about paramedics then work on you oral interviews skills and be in great shape. A lot of the smaller departments put a lot of emphasis on maxing out the physical tests.

Forum Member

I am currently a medic, and Stillwater is my dream job. Have you ever taken the test offered by EOC in Shawnee? I took it last fall and was disappointed with the lack of responses I received.

Good luck in Tulsa. I did see they were testing, but chose to wait and see what happens other places. Tulsa may be a little too big for me.

Are you currently working as a medic? I may choose to try for a job with a private ambulance service until something happens. Just wondering if you had any insight into a decent service. I know my options are limited.
    Last edited by hopingtogetther; 05-09-2007 at 07:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I had a buddy who did the EOC and practically aced the written, passed the physical and didn't get one call. Supposedly they all want firefighter I. He is pretty disappointed with it as well. As a certified medic you shouldn't have a hard time finding a decent ambulance job. Stillwater is a popular department. Do they only hire from the EOC list or do they have their own testing? If its your dream department grind it out till you get it. I am not currently working as a medic. I'm trying to avoid it till my academy starts.

Forum Member

I did receive a letter from Mustang asking me to submit an app. I never heard another word. I suspect they are not interested in medics since they are a BLS dept. Stillwater only hires from the EOC list. Rumor has it, they are going to add 9 brand new positions this fall, and I think 36 over the next several years. So could be a lot of opportunities there. Their old chief was pushing for a new staffing increase, but he left in Dec. I think everything is up in the air until a new chief is hired. So tell your friend to not give up hope. The plan is posted on their website.

I am currently working as a medic out of state, but thinking about going ahead and moving back so at least that big hurdle is cleared.

I do have my FF I. It has been a few years and no way I could pass the test today, but the certificate is in my file.

I cannot believe more OK depts do not put more emphasis on requiring people to be at least EMT-B in order to get hired. Especially the depts that require people to attend an academy, no matter how much experience they have. 90% of the calls are medical. It is not that difficult to obtain Basic cert.
    Last edited by hopingtogetther; 05-09-2007 at 11:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glenpool Testing

Glenpool, OK just announced their test. You can view it by going to www.firerecruit.com and looking at the samples page.

Thread Information