Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    West Oneonta,NY 13861
    Posts
    137

    Default trident air prime

    hi all, just wondering if anyone has experience with trident products "AIR PRIME". runs of the air system of trucks, venturi mounted to pump. trying to find an alternative to hale esp primer. we have had nothing but troubles with the new esp on our 2003 engine, 3 times in less than 4 yrs and it wont work now. looking for an alternative. thanks stay safe


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Primers

    I have been spec'ing that primer on 90% of the new trucks I have quoted and sold for the last few years. Haven't had one complaint. Even had some clients that retrofitted older trucks after they had a chance to use the Trident. One thing you have to be sure to check is you have a large enough compressor and air storage. Most trucks I do we put and extra air tank on. A 18CFM compressor should do the trick.

  3. #3
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Westofd,PM me.I may have a solution for your ESP without changing it out. T.C.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    438

    Default Tell us all

    Why not just post it and give us all a chance to learn. Come on T.C., share the wealth!!!!!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Swanton Fire Dept. Swanton, Vermont
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Why not just post it and give us all a chance to learn. Come on T.C., share the wealth!!!!!
    Now Tom... I am sure he has his reasons.

  6. #6
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    We had two of those on our rigs.The vanes over time get sticky and the primer quits working.What we did was pull the little plug out of the top,installed an oil tank,plumbed them up and now they're an oil type primer rather than the enviornmentally friendly oilless.The up side is they work,everytime,and you don't have to pull them apart every six months to free up the vanes.Hale can't sell you the kit but almost any fire mechanic worth his presence can make the conversion.Simple,inexpensive and effective. T.C.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    We had two of those on our rigs.The vanes over time get sticky and the primer quits working.What we did was pull the little plug out of the top,installed an oil tank,plumbed them up and now they're an oil type primer rather than the enviornmentally friendly oilless.The up side is they work,everytime,and you don't have to pull them apart every six months to free up the vanes.Hale can't sell you the kit but almost any fire mechanic worth his presence can make the conversion.Simple,inexpensive and effective. T.C.
    Funny you should mention that. In 1998 the rotary gear primer on our'78 Hahn, Hale QLD125 failed (a whole 'nother story). I replaced it with a Hale oilless primer. When it was new, if you didn't operate it at least every week, it would stick. After a couple of tries, it would break loose and work. Ever since then, it works fine. We have a dry hydrant that includes about 40' lateral and about a 20' lift. It pulls a prime from there every time, no sweat (annual practice). So simple, even FWDbuff can do it.

    Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9

    Default More TRIDENT info wanted

    So...does anyone have any more info about TRIDENT primer? How about Retrofit issues? Freezing issues? Clogging issues?

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Hale actually recommends you use and check the primer weekly. Part of that check is to flush water through it for 10-15 seconds. As the vanes turn, some of the carbon wears off and can collect in the primer and jam the vanes. Flushing them helps get rid of the carbon that collects. Perhaps that is part of your issue?

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponebutton View Post
    So...does anyone have any more info about TRIDENT primer? How about Retrofit issues? Freezing issues? Clogging issues?
    I don't know about how much trouble it was, but a department I just sold a rig to had a Trident primer retrofit into an existing pumper. I didn't sell them that pumper nor was I involved in the install, but they're so tickled with the primer that we did a change order to put one on the rig they bought from me...

    My discussions with them made it sound like installing the Trident really wasn't that big of a deal. I think (it's been a while since we talked about it) that their mechanic did the install in their station in about a day.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    I don't suppose anyone would know round-about what one of these costs? We've got an older pumper that the primer has gone out on. Hale says it's an antiquated primer and there's no longer parts available. We really don't want to have to mess with spending $1,500 on a primer for a truck we rarely use. I'm curious if this Trident is a more cost-effective alternative.

  12. #12
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Catch,like I said Hale isn't allowed to tell you what I just did.And your book definition is spot on.However with our water and use conditions,we found that a oiless to oil conversion eliminated the problem. Entirely! No sticking,no screwups,and faster priming with less wear.Do you want a tuna with good taste or a tuna that tastes good? T.C.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6

    Talking Trident Air Prime

    I have this primer installed on the last 2 truck we have purchased, and retrofitted our other engine when the esp failed. We have had no problems with the primer at all. We will never go back to an electric.


    Quote Originally Posted by westofd1 View Post
    hi all, just wondering if anyone has experience with trident products "AIR PRIME". runs of the air system of trucks, venturi mounted to pump. trying to find an alternative to hale esp primer. we have had nothing but troubles with the new esp on our 2003 engine, 3 times in less than 4 yrs and it wont work now. looking for an alternative. thanks stay safe

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Catch,like I said Hale isn't allowed to tell you what I just did.And your book definition is spot on.However with our water and use conditions,we found that a oiless to oil conversion eliminated the problem. Entirely! No sticking,no screwups,and faster priming with less wear.Do you want a tuna with good taste or a tuna that tastes good? T.C.
    I understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying you're not right. Just throwing a thought out for a possible quick fix for a lot of guys. I'm sure you know as well as I do a lot of the fire service doesn't care for their equipment like they should.

  15. #15
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    So simple, even FWDbuff can do it.
    Do those Trident air primers work on under-the-hood sprinkler systems?
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-09-2007 at 06:41 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    West Oneonta,NY 13861
    Posts
    137

    Default retro-fit

    just to add a little more. we just got said truck retro-fitted with the trident unit. our test & drill with it seems very good. there is little noise compared to the electric units. and there is not a 300 amp draw on electrical system. as for another reply when we first had issues with esp unit a hale rep at factory told me that they hadn't had any complaints about the units and as a matter of fact it was the standard for most manufacturer's. at which time i told him ( politely ) i could tell him at least 2 other departments in a 10 mile radius that have had nothing but troubles as well. after the first rebuild they told us to just pull prime valve after pump had picked prime to flush out primer . it still didn't help. the only good thing is our neighboring department has rebuilt there's 4 times in 3 yrs. then last month after 2 rebuilds i talked to a rep and he sent me the info on converting esp to fluid. its an easy fix. in the info they say to install 2 tanks, 1 for the priming liquid and 1 for the expelled liquid. we discussed it at a meeting about what to do about not being able to trust the esp unit's reliability and decided to go with the trident. our repair shop gave us a few names of departments that had spec'd them on there new trucks and they all were very positive as being the way of the future. if it works out well on this unit it will be retro-fitted to our other engines in the future. sorry for the long post. stay safe. walt

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    I'm pushing to add the Trident AirPrime™ for all our new trucks.

    One thing has me wondering though.....

    NFPA 1901 (2009) 24.12.1* states that the chassis air brake system shall not be used for emergency use applications.

    How do we get around that?

    I went to the appendix to get some details on the asterisk notation, and it states that the air brake system is not intended rescue air bags, air tools, air reels, and other rescue applications.

    I never understood this requirement when it was instituded since chassis air compressors usually have 100% duty cycle ratings. Air brakes fill a HP air bag like a champ.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
    I'm pushing to add the Trident AirPrime™ for all our new trucks.

    One thing has me wondering though.....

    NFPA 1901 (2009) 24.12.1* states that the chassis air brake system shall not be used for emergency use applications.

    How do we get around that?

    I went to the appendix to get some details on the asterisk notation, and it states that the air brake system is not intended rescue air bags, air tools, air reels, and other rescue applications.

    I never understood this requirement when it was instituded since chassis air compressors usually have 100% duty cycle ratings. Air brakes fill a HP air bag like a champ.
    But if you specify an independent tank that is specifically for this purpose, and will not drain the air tanks used for braking, does this satisfy the requirements?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    257

    Default

    You get around it by signing the contract before Jan 1! haha

    We specified the Hale ESP and said the Trident Air could be used as an alternative. After reading more and more about the Trident I hope the bidders propose that over the Hale. The air compressor is 18.7 cfm so that should be plenty.

    Unless your doing pump and roll operations I dont see how the air primer could be a concern with your brake system.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    You get around it by signing the contract before Jan 1! haha

    We specified the Hale ESP and said the Trident Air could be used as an alternative. After reading more and more about the Trident I hope the bidders propose that over the Hale. The air compressor is 18.7 cfm so that should be plenty.

    Unless your doing pump and roll operations I dont see how the air primer could be a concern with your brake system.
    I wasn't even aware of Trident until they came and made a presentation at our county engineers' association meeting a year or so ago. I was very impressed with its simplicity and there for inherent reliability. Its operating principle is very similar to that of an exhaust primer. If I had been aware of it when we spec'd our Toyne, I'd have asked the members to consider using it. I do get to go to Trident's facility and visit every now and again. Their location is such we'd probably be due there on a second alarm.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Air Bags
    By DepChief03 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2002, 02:36 PM
  3. air compressor vs. air cascade
    By re27sq in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2002, 10:28 AM
  4. testing Breathing Air
    By S. Cook in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2001, 11:34 PM
  5. Testing Breathing Air
    By S. Cook in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2001, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts