MembersZone Subscriber

Default LA area departments...do I need to be an EMT to get hired?

I noticed that it's required to be at least an EMT do get hired on certain Los Angeles area departments, but that requirement is conspicuously absent from the requirements for LA City and LA County (though city does say that it's "highly desired")

2 questions: 1) All other things being equal, do I have a realistic chance of getting hired by LA City or County without being an EMT? and 2) Does one get EMT training in the academy?

3rd question: Does anyone have any hard numbers on the number of EMT/Paramedics hired in these 2 departments vs. non EMT/Medics hired?

Permanently Removed

Pretty much expect to have an EMT card to get a job anywhere in California, including the LA area. And yes, the demand for the EMT-P (Paramedic) card continues to grow. (That debate in another thread)

LA City or County may not require an EMT card at time of application, but without a doubt you will need an EMT card before you get to ride on the big read truck.

When in doubt, read the job flyer. Here they are-

LA CITY FIRE

LA COUNTY FIRE
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-07-2007 at 02:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Pretty much expect to have an EMT card to get a job anywhere in California, including the LA area. And yes, the demand for the EMT-P (Paramedic) card continues to grow. (That debate in another thread)

LA City or County may not require an EMT card at time of application, but without a doubt you will need an EMT card before you get to ride on the big read truck.

When in doubt, read hte job flyer. Here they are-

LA CITY FIRE

LA COUNTY FIRE
    Yes, I read the job flyers. I guess I'm a bit confused. They do not require a certificate...they only state that it is highly desired. You say that one needs an EMT card in order to "ride on the truck", but if that's the case then why not just come right out and make it a requirement like so many other departments do? That's why I was wondering if they teach EMT classes in the Academy.

Sorry, I'm just confused.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, I guess my other question is, if EMT training isn't offered in the Academy, what is a good place to get a certificate in southern California? I found a program at UCLA, but that's about it.

Permanently Removed

JLam- I am guessing that the EMT card is not a requirement at time of application to draw in more people off of the street.

It is extreamly rare for Firefighter Candidates not to have an EMT card today.

I am pretty sure LACo gives their Trainees the EMT portion at the beginning of their academy. So that covers the county.

As for the CITY, I dont know.

You can get more LA based questions answered at the formus section of this board- www.lacountyfire.com

Also, you can get your CA EMT here- www.ncti-online.com

Hope that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the links.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department (major So Cal) does not require an EMT certification priot to being hired. Having said that, I would NOT advise entering into a fire department's academy without it.
    EMT is a 108 hour course that requires quite a bit of studying over the course of the semester. We cram it into the first three weeks of our academy. Imagine nothing but EMT for three weeks with quizzes every single day. Any failed quizes result in "improvement" points. These points are accumulative into the Operations portion of the academy.
    It's not uncommon for someone to struggle with EMT, earn a bunch of points and fail out because he or she reaches the maximum number of points during operations.
    90 percent of the calls you will go on as a firefighter are EMS related. You need a strong EMT foundation. Even IF you do get hired, and do pass EMT in the academy, you will struggle as an EMT.
    Take the class now. It also makes you a stronget candidate. You will find that the competition is fierce here in So Cal. Candidates with AS degrees and fire academies are very common.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Permanently Removed

Paul- Any insight on LA CITY's EMT req?

Forum Member

LA City has not hired a candidate in the past several years without having their EMT. I spoken with recruiters and firefighter's who strongly encourage that you get one prior to employment. Experience isn't required, but it offers a good understanding and backround to reflect on when in the field and taking test.

Also, be aware of the National Registry. I know alot of people who have passed EMT but struggled with this test, which is now a requirement for EMT Certification.

ANTELOPE VALLEY COLLEGE, COLLEGE OF THE DESERT, CRAFTON HILLS COLLEGE, EAST LOS ANGELES COLLEGE, EL CAMINO COLLEGE, GLENDALE COLLEGE, IMPERIAL VALLEY COLLEGE, LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE, LOS ANGELES HARBOR COLLEGE, LOS ANGELES VALLEY COLLEGE, MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE, PASADENA CITY COLLEGE, RIO HONDO COLLEGE, RIVERSIDE COMMUNITY COLLEGE, SANTA ANA COLLEGE, SANTA MONICA COLLEGE, VICTOR VALLEY COLLEGE

These are the colleges listed under LAFD's website. UCLA also offers a very good program. I personally took mine 3 years ago at RCC who offers a very good program, i felt i was ahead of the game when i came to LA County to work as an EMT with a private ambulance company. I was trained along side with Paramedic instructors and Students, which allowed me to learn as they taught and learned. Though, I'm not sure if or how much the program has changed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post

3rd question: Does anyone have any hard numbers on the number of EMT/Paramedics hired in these 2 departments vs. non EMT/Medics hired?
    I believe LAFD has classes of 50 cadets. of the last classes only 4 of them were Paramedics, the rest were EMT's. Of those EMT's, only 25%-50% of them had actual field experience. Those stats have been conciderably the same in the past few classes.

as for LACOFD, I wouldn't know the stats. Last time I heard, Alot of guys didn't have either, or even field experience. But, They are changing their focus this time around with the new test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, looks like some EMT classes are in the cards for me then. Thanks for all the information folks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brnsknFF View Post
    LA City has not hired a candidate in the past several years without having their EMT. I spoken with recruiters and firefighter's who strongly encourage that you get one prior to employment. Experience isn't required, but it offers a good understanding and backround to reflect on when in the field and taking test.

Also, be aware of the National Registry. I know alot of people who have passed EMT but struggled with this test, which is now a requirement for EMT Certification.

ANTELOPE VALLEY COLLEGE, COLLEGE OF THE DESERT, CRAFTON HILLS COLLEGE, EAST LOS ANGELES COLLEGE, EL CAMINO COLLEGE, GLENDALE COLLEGE, IMPERIAL VALLEY COLLEGE, LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE, LOS ANGELES HARBOR COLLEGE, LOS ANGELES VALLEY COLLEGE, MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE, PASADENA CITY COLLEGE, RIO HONDO COLLEGE, RIVERSIDE COMMUNITY COLLEGE, SANTA ANA COLLEGE, SANTA MONICA COLLEGE, VICTOR VALLEY COLLEGE
    College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita/ Valencia has programs as well with ample night courses and a summer course.

Thread Information