Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Job history

Forum Member

Default Job history

I can't remember every job I've had. I am moving to the states and I had to put down all the jobs I've had in the last ten years so that the FBI can investigate me. Does this mean when I fill out a job application I only have to put what I put down for the FBI investigation or would I still have to put every job I've had even though I don't remember?

First of all.. I don't think it's the FBI that is going to investigate you. More than likely it will be the Police Department's Internal Affairs officer, who will do a background check for arrests, felonies, misdemeanors and any outstanding warrants.

They will probably run your name through the NCIC database as well as local databases.

If they ask for a ten year history, then give them a ten year history. What they will be looking for is a pattern of work. Some people quit because they have to work weekends and holidays, didn't get the raise they expected, they don't like their boss, or other silly reasons to numerous to mention.

I can remember every job I've ever held since the days of the old paper route!

How old are you anyway?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    First of all.. I don't think it's the FBI that is going to investigate you. More than likely it will be the Police Department's Internal Affairs officer, who will do a background check for arrests, felonies, misdemeanors and any outstanding warrants.

They will probably run your name through the NCIC database as well as local databases.

If they ask for a ten year history, then give them a ten year history. What they will be looking for is a pattern of work. Some people quit because they have to work weekends and holidays, didn't get the raise they expected, they don't like their boss, or other silly reasons to numerous to mention.

I can remember every job I've ever held since the days of the old paper route!

How old are you anyway?
    I know the FBI isn't going to be investigating me. They already have. What I'm saying is, how can an employer in your country find out every job I've had when I can't even do that? I've tried everything I can think of but our government only keeps record of employments on us for the last five years. By the way, I have absolutely no criminal record. I am not a criminal.

That's what I would do. However, the one I am interested wants to know every job you've had (as if a McDonalds job 20 years ago is relevant).

Congratulations. I can't. I had many many jobs when I was young, lots of them seasonal that I don't even remember who it was for. I made the mistake of not thinking to keep exact records of every little thing I did because a fire department would ask me one day what seasonal job I did 25 years ago. I also didn't foresee someone putting me down when I simply asked for help on an issue. I should have seen it comin' though huh?

I am 32.

Where in my post did I "put you down?"

Egads.. if you think me mentioning that I can remember every job I had since the paper route days threatens you, how in hell are you going to function at ballbusting central: the firehouse?

If your prosepctive FD wants that information, and you really want the job, then then I would suggest that you move heaven and earth to find it. I highly dobut they want to know who's lawn you mowed or which newspaper they wanted, or how many billions of burgers served at MickeyD's. As I said.. they are looking for a work history. The FD is going to be making a significant investment in you, from buying turnouits to training. They want to protect that investment.

I never said you had a criminal history nor called you a criminal. The FD will do the background check to protect themselves and their investment in you.

I gave you advice. Use it ot not, I'm not the one who may risk losing the opportunity of getting the best job in the world... you are.

PS: look through old tax returns... that may jar your memory ...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 05-07-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

CaptainGonzo, you're right. My apologies. You didn't put me down. But in the ball busting life of a fire house I think I would keep my mouth shut until probation is done and by that time I'd know if I fit in. Then it's a matter of taking it and being able to dish it out too. And I understand about how the FD is making a huge investment so they want to make sure they aren't wasting time or money.

I've thought about it and I think it's more of a matter of not remembering exact dates. I think I may remember all the jobs I've had but some of them I didn't have very long. I either quit or got fired. However, I would think that 'past ten years' is more important. Even the county sherrif's department only wants that.

Thank you for your advice too. I do appreciate it. I'll look into old tax forms.

PS I know you never called me a criminal. I was just pointing out that I wasn't so I am not in the least scared of having a criminal check done on me.

No problem... good luck!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    I made the mistake of not thinking to keep exact records of every little thing I did because a fire department would ask me one day what seasonal job I did 25 years ago. I also didn't foresee someone putting me down when I simply asked for help on an issue. I should have seen it comin' though huh?

I am 32.
    I am interested in knowing what seasonal job you had....when you were seven.

Judging from your other posts, you're going to be everyone's favorite probie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg View Post
    I am interested in knowing what seasonal job you had....when you were seven.

Judging from your other posts, you're going to be everyone's favorite probie.
    Since you take everything so literally I'll answer you. Shovelling snow and raking leaves...when I was seven.

Thank you. Although I see nothing wrong with my "other posts", I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks for reading...dawg.
    Last edited by hoosierdaddy; 05-08-2007 at 12:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the department that gets this guy is going to have fun with him,

MembersZone Subscriber

Thisdoes seem kinda odd to me for adept to ask for a forever history of employment. The most I think I have seen is 10 years with the exception of the Navy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd1a2 View Post
    Hmm...you take a newbie with five posts who brings up a thread that's been dead for over a month for no reason other than to bash someone and what do you get?

Troll.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    Thisdoes seem kinda odd to me for adept to ask for a forever history of employment. The most I think I have seen is 10 years with the exception of the Navy.
    I thought it was odd too but they did. Right on the application it says begin with most recent employment and list every full time, part time, or seasonal job you've had.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd1a2 View Post
    I just had fun with you.

You have my permission to walk away with your head down and your tail between your legs.

Thread Information