Forum Member

I won't name the agencies in order to maintain my anonymity:

After HS - U. S. Marine Corps
    After d/c: Service writer for a now defunct Dodge dealership (had nothing to do with it going out of business )

Security officer for Digital Computer Corporation (in a town RIGHT next to Gonzo's)

Police dispatcher and EMT-Basic
    Police/Fire/EMS dispatcher and EMT, POC EMT and Firefighter
    Career Firefighter for 2 departments
    Laid off by one......then worked as a Paramedic.........

Worked part-time as a Paramedic through PA school and now I work in an Emergency Department as a Physician Assistant.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

First job I held was at the end of my senior year in high school I work for Winn-Dixie Grocery in Waco for a whole 1 1/2 years till I got hired by Rural\Metro in Dallas as a dispatcher. Four years later I transferred to Rural\Metro in Waco till they left and East Texas Medical Center came in. That's it for me.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking WhooHoo.............

Damn............

Started helping my Father with Plumbing jobs when I was old enough to carry the tools.
    Right out of high school, went to work for the Forest Service as a Lookout Tower operator.
    Hired by a Major Metro FD in 1962, left them for a Large Metro area Combo FD in 1965, retired in 1985. Since then, Part time gigs as a Dump Truck Driver, Railroad Track Repairman, Freight Train Crewman, (Learned to Drive the Locomotive too) Settled into Asphalt work about 15 years ago, Now own an Asphalt Maintenence Company. Also, a recent 3 year stretch as a Part Time Firefighter for the Forest Service. I've also lived on, and worked, a small (80 Acres) Farm for the past 33 years. And I tried my hand at being a Scrap Metal Broker. And, what seems like a Full Time Job, I'm in my 49th year as a Volunteer Firefighter, with the last 21 years as a Chief Officer.

And in my spare time..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HHHmmmm Lemme Think......

Let's see:
    Junior High School:
    Irrigation Company (Digging ditches, clean-up and finally installations)
    Drywall Company (Carryin' stuff, holdin' drywall, clean-up and then nailer/installer)
    Ranch (Professional "Mucker" of digested hay, cleaned hoofs)

High School:
    Irrigation Company (Installs)
    Drivin' Water Tenders for my Uncle
    Pets Shop (Sales and then eventually Asst. Manager)
    Roofer for about a week
    Painted houses
    Vons Grocery (Courtesy Clerk, Nightcrew and the last 6 months as Loss Prevention)

After High School:
    Worked on Bird Farm as a Professional "Mucker" of bird crap....... (armed with only a 55 gallon bucket and a scraper...... windy days sucked) and feedin' the large birds by wheel bucket and 5 gallon bucket...... windy days sucked. We had Asian Quail, Guinnies, Pheasants. Eventually worked-up to help clean pig stalls and help insemenate various animals such as pigs, cows, horses and the such while still cleanin' crap.

Vons
    Irrigation Company
    Local Hospital (Stockin' PIXIS Machines and each Department of Medical Equipment)
    Got hired by F.D. at the age of 19 at the level of a Paid-Call FF

Earned spot workin' shift work (M-F, 0800-1700) as an Extra-Help FF
    Became a Driver/Operator for F.D.
    Worked/Instructed as a Lifeguard
    Was given a crew of 3, could only pay 2 though daily...... ran crew and calls
    U.S.F.S. for a season on a Handcrew
    Ski Patrol as a Base Patroller and later moved-up to an actual Ski/Snowboard Patroller

How I got through the Fire Academy:
    Vons
    Local Hospital
    F.D. on the "Box"
    Gotta loan from a great friend......

After Academy:
    Irrigation (Repairs and installs)
    Non-professional hauler of Rodeo Horses (for x wife)
    Owned a Business teachin' ICS, NIMS and Tactics
    Career FF, promoted to Engineer
    Paid-Call for my original Dept. still
    Volunteer FF/Engineer (I think that's my position..... still new)
    Husband, again...... I know I didn't learn the first time
    Dad

I think that's it....... I know I forgot somethin'........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

I think I am beginning to hate this thread. Everytime I start to go over the list of jobs I've held, I think about my life, and how my job history really doesn't reflect who I think I am. Bummer.. Anyway, I guess I'll bite..
    Junior High-High School: stockboy at local Pharmacy one day a week, mowed grass in summer for lady in my church.
    High School: Same as above, plus checked cotton during summer vacation for insect infestations, referred findings to boss so he could tell farmers what to spray for.( Introduction to contract labor and paying lots of self employment taxes..)
    College: Worked part time at a Muffler Shop doing mechanic work, and brakes, as well as playing with fire. (acetylene torch and welders..)
    After Graduation with Associates Degree in Auto Technology: Continued work in Muffler shop for another year.(Refused to follow guidance counselors advice to go into accounting because of high math scores.. Proud smile: 4.0 GPA in college algebra AND technical physics.)
    Quit muffler shop, went to work as mechanic on Natural Gas compressors and oilfield pumpjack engines for about two and a half years.
    Went back to school for truckdriving.
    Worked for a little over two years driving a truck doing local deliveries for a steel company.
    Quit and went to work driving over the road for most of a year working for a friend of mine.
    Bought my own truck and became semi-independant, self employed(Leased on to a few different companies as a contractor).
    I have been self employed for almost 6 years now.
    Joined a volunteer fire department about a year ago, after being around it for a few years and helping unofficially.(Greatest thing I've done so far in my life.)
    Looking for something to do when I grow up.

Forum Member

Gas station attendant 1 yr
    Dish washer summer
    Grocery bagger 1.5 yr
    Building houses summer
    USAF 23 yr
    Volunteer Firefighter 1 yr

And still having a Blast!!

Forum Member

Too many to list, but probably my second favorite job in life was pumping gas on the NY State Thruway in the late 70's when the gas shortages were going on. Anyone remember 5.00 maximums, odd/even license plate days etc? Made a lot of cash on the sly back then and there was nothing better then when shift ended pulling up my orange Ford Maverick to the front of a mile long line and filling the tank.

Forum Member

Oh..forgot this one, 12 years old, got a small job cleaning the local volunteer firehouse on the day after meetings. Had to clean bathrooms-wax floors etc. Should have taken only 2 hrs a week but probably spent 6 hrs alone staring at the 1958 Mack "B" series pumper and reading the firehouse journals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Time to start a new career!

Gee, I havenít had to bring up the past for a long time. Think Iíll keep a copy of this for the Grandchildren. They might be surprised what this old guy has done.
    Started out pedaling the morning papers in 1955, and later worked for a local fire extinguisher service company during high school.

After graduation, I worked for a local manufacturing company running lathes & grinders making carbon parts for pumps and jet engines.

Full time student for 2 years at DeVry Tech in Chicago. Then returned to home town and worked for a TV & appliance store as a service tech.

Returned to the manufacturing sector making powder metal parts as a press operator, oven operator and QC Technician. Found a job as an electronics tech. for General Dynamics working on Ground support equipment for the TFX program (now the F-111 aircraft) and later in the electoaccoustics lab building sonar listening devices for the Navy.

Returned to the old home town and worked as a research tech in a carbon plant, took a promotion to cost analyst position and later Tool and Gauge technician. Began running with the local Volly department. Cut back in industry forced a return to Powder Metal manufacturing and later back to another carbon manufacturer as a research tech. in their electronics division, where I performed Mil testing on carbon composition, carbon film and ceramic resistors.
    Promoted to Quality Engineer and later Quality Manager for this company in the electronics division with operations in seven plants on the East Coast from NC through Va. and into Northern Pa.

Family was grown and empty nest allowed me to return to college, so at age 51 I graduated from Pitt with a BS in Business and a minor in Math. Found employment in a local mfg plant that was subsequently closed and the operation moved to Mexico City.

Went to truck driving school and spent the next 10 years driving over the road for Barr-Nunn and a local company. Finally got to retire in January of 2005.

Along the way I found the time to function as a firefighter, driver, Lt., Capt., Asst. Chief, and Deputy Chief. , and a PA State Fire Instructor specializing in Pump Operations, and Driver Training. Currently listed as an Instructor Emeritus and working part time for Butler County Community College.

Forum Member

High school:
    City housing - landscaping and maintenance work 2000-now
    School district - theater electrician, stage hand, carpenter 1999-2003

College:
    City housing - (still there)
    Worked in campus cafeteria on the grill, dish room, and serving line, finally became shift manager 2003-2005
    Fire department 2005-now
    Campus public safety officer (started as patrol officer, quickly moved to communications and dispatch management along with other admin crap) 2005-now
    Radio station engineer - started about a month ago

Wow, 4 jobs right now. Not to mention odd jobs I do for people in the realm of handyman stuff.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 05-14-2007 at 03:59 AM.

Thread Information