Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Information Collection

We have a field report for EMS. It has room for the patient's name, address, dob, SS#, vital signs, medication, hospital preference, and the like.

We do not have a similar form for fire responses. As I sat at the computer this AM filling out a run sheet for a car fire it struck me that I didn't have much information to pass along to our invesitagtive division or to document in my report.

What information would you all like to see?

I tried to search the forums, but as you know the search engine has "limited" capabilities.

Thanks in advance, Geinandputitout

MembersZone Subscriber

There is Annex material for NFPA 921 that is essentially the old NFPA Fire Incident Field Reporting System notes. You can photo copy these forms out of the back of the book or adapt them to your needs and make up your own.

Another way to do it is just keep some blank NFIRS forms in the apparatus and use those as your note form. That way, you know that you have all the info you need for that form.

Lastly, you may want to talk to some of your PD brothers and sisters. Many times, they use a similar type of data collection form for their runs. This could easily be adapted to your needs.

Forum Member

my original post wasn't very clear. we collect all he basic info to fill out a NFIRS report already. Another poster sent me this:

The things I like seeing are the basics; doors/windows locked, open, unlocked. Witness/owner/occupant information is always very important. Include what they were doing/observed before and during the fire. Just tell a story of what you observed upon arrival, what you did and found during suppression and what everyone said.

I work on an engine that runs 6 - 12 calls / day. If I typed everything my crew did on every run, I'd be typing for 4 hours a shift. I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'll check with the boys in blue and see what they suggest.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    my original post wasn't very clear. we collect all he basic info to fill out a NFIRS report already. Another poster sent me this:

The things I like seeing are the basics; doors/windows locked, open, unlocked. Witness/owner/occupant information is always very important. Include what they were doing/observed before and during the fire. Just tell a story of what you observed upon arrival, what you did and found during suppression and what everyone said.

I work on an engine that runs 6 - 12 calls / day. If I typed everything my crew did on every run, I'd be typing for 4 hours a shift. I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'll check with the boys in blue and see what they suggest.

Thanks
    If this is what you are looking for, than the forms in the Annex of NFPA 921 are exactly what you are looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

On another note, when I was in the public sector, my partner and I put together a two-page questionnaire that, on large jobs when interviews were not practical, we would hand out to the first due guys and ask them to complete and return to us. We could then screen them and interview the guys who something pertinent to the case. The questions involved every aspect of their response (dispatch, observations enroute, observations upon arrival, specific assignment, specific actions, specific observations, did they encounter anything with their five senses that would be important, etc.). The answers were given in sort of a written statement format.

Yeah, we also used it as a screening tool to nail fire fighter arsonists (I am proud to state that my agency locked up 38 volunteer fire fighters during my career in the unit). Amazing what people write down when they are not thinking about it.

No, I no longer have any copies of it.

Forum Member

No worries about not having a copy. Thanks for the input.

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

Check out NFPA 906. It contains model field notes for most types of fires.

Thread Information