Thread: 6 of em???

Forum Member

Unhappy 6 of em???

our disbatch center is switching over to some system that requires all personel within the disbatch to have a minimum of minitor 5 by 2010 i beleive so they can have 6 tones for every dept...may i say wtf? has anyone here seen this played out? how does it work? is it confusing or efficiant?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Forum Member

What are the 6 tones for? Our county uses 1 tone for each fire dept., and 1 tone for each EMS agency. Hard to picture why you would need such a system.

Is the dispatch center putting in money for all these new pagers?

Forum Member

I've heard of some Townships and County FD's up here that have like 14 different depts on one freq. and when they have Pager tests you hear all 14. I've heard 4 or 5 different tones for a dept with 4 stations in it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Post Multiple tones on one pager

hoole17, do you have speciality teams in your area?
    In my county, we have our haz mat, fire investigation and CISM teams and the couty coordinators toned out from our dispatch center. All the county did was take our Minitor 4's or 5's (whichever you were issued from your own dept.) and program in the appropriate tones.
    Other depts. in my county, mine included, have another tone for the officers only or just their EMS people.
    I would say that if you were on a department that did EMS and you just wanted to do firefighting, not getting woken up in the middle of the night for an EMS call that you weren't going to go to, would it not make sense to have a separate tone for the EMS people?
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

I think You will find that the switch is being caused by the FCC forceing all public safety to Narrow Banding as they renew there Licencees and only the Minitor 5 will acept narrow banding so every thing else will be junk including a lot of portables (gp 300,gp1225 ect) and we are looking at about half the mobiles in our fleet that will have to be replaced, hope since they are making us switch that they will help pay for this

DVFD

Smile Multi tones here too

We have the same set up here. Some of the depts. have a deticated EMS volinteers at there stations they can be paged out without disrupting the sleep of the FF's that are not trained or do not wish to do EMS. We allso have all of our Oficers on a different tone for a mass officer page. They also have a distinct tone for each officer if per say the chief needs to get in contact with one of his officers that may not have his or her radio on at the time.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

A minitor II is very limited in how many sets of tones it can have in it. In addition, since they have been discontinued and there almost no parts left for them, what it has now is what it's got and thats it. They can't be changed. Also, the Minitor II does not support narrow band radio frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands (doesn't apply to low band).

So apparently your dispatch center is doing something that will make the Minitor II incompatible for one of both of the above reasons.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire View Post
    What are the 6 tones for? Our county uses 1 tone for each fire dept., and 1 tone for each EMS agency. Hard to picture why you would need such a system.

Is the dispatch center putting in money for all these new pagers?
    nope the fire districts/departments are paying for it...most of us have minitor 5's though. but i found out were switching to something called a cav system????

the tones are for as follows
    1) still
    2)EMS
    3)General
    4)weather
    5)non emergancy
    6)Box alarm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    hoole17, do you have speciality teams in your area?
    In my county, we have our haz mat, fire investigation and CISM teams and the couty coordinators toned out from our dispatch center. All the county did was take our Minitor 4's or 5's (whichever you were issued from your own dept.) and program in the appropriate tones.
    Other depts. in my county, mine included, have another tone for the officers only or just their EMS people.
    I would say that if you were on a department that did EMS and you just wanted to do firefighting, not getting woken up in the middle of the night for an EMS call that you weren't going to go to, would it not make sense to have a separate tone for the EMS people?
    all w have in our dispatch area is a CART team as far as specialtys go...oh and a few dive teams.

DVFD

Thumbs up Cad

Quote Originally Posted by hoole17 View Post
    nope the fire districts/departments are paying for it...most of us have minitor 5's though. but i found out were switching to something called a cav system????
    This would more than likely CAD Computer Aided Dispatch

We have it. Good tool ,you can intergrate PD FD and EMS on one screen so dispatch and MDT's (Mobile Data Termanal) or Lap tops can receive updated info as each party's dispatcher gets from the field or a caller.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Thread Information