Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scab Labor

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

Default Scab Labor

Listen to this BS. in my dept we have a guy who is an army reservist and is being placed active for 18 months to goto Iraq (my prayers are with him) but my union negotiated with out discussion with the union body to hire a temp firefighter instead of paying out the OT. Also a neigboring city dept to my dad had their union negotiate to hire 10 or more full time firefighters at $10 an hour no benifits. My dept is bad enough I think but to do this is outragous the guys in this city have no idea they will be out of a job here shortly.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Forum Member

Sounds like you guys need to bring it to a vote and get rid of your current leaders if they're doing things like that without getting to union bodies approval. Or they might need to be reminded that they are only representatives, not sole decision makers.

Forum Member

I would offer that it sounds like your e-board violated the IAFF constitution and by-laws. Contact your district vice-president and ask for a ruling. It may have to go to a trial board, if the gist of your post is accurate the IAFF will probably remove them from their elected positions.

Forum Member

Default What?

Your union leaders and negotiators need to become ex-union leaders and negotiators ASAP. What kind of moron would allow a non-union FF into a union shop? That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of a union doing. Good Luck Bro!!! Are you guys IAFF?

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

yes we are IAFF. the eboard came out in our last union meeting and apologized for their actions. we seem to be rolling over as a body though and taking it. I am just off probation so i dont think it is really my place yet to stand up and voice my opinion. any suggestions.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Forum Member

I'm speechless!! I just don't understand how a local could allow this. It goes against what unions are all about. I would absolutely fight this because it is setting a very dangerous precedent. What is to prevent your city from filling open positions with cheap scab labor from here on? For the union to fight for wage, benefit, pension, and manpower increases, then allow this is a## backwards. I would follow the above advice and contact the district V.P. Protect your future!!

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    I'm speechless!! I just don't understand how a local could allow this. It goes against what unions are all about. I would absolutely fight this because it is setting a very dangerous precedent. What is to prevent your city from filling open positions with cheap scab labor from here on? For the union to fight for wage, benefit, pension, and manpower increases, then allow this is a## backwards. I would follow the above advice and contact the district V.P. Protect your future!!
    I can see the town/city pulling a "Circuit City" deal...firing everyone, then hiring them back at $10 an hour with no bennies. Damn, they may even do a New Orleans on you and hire you back at minimum wage!

You may be just of probation, but you do have a voice.

In a past post, where you were chastised by many of us for stating "it's your fire service"...

It's your union... and the future of "our" fire service we are talking about here.

Contact your State organization if you belong to it, or better yet, call the International's offices in DC.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    I am just off probation so i dont think it is really my place yet to stand up and voice my opinion.
    No offense, but would this be your position if you were laid off because of the actions of your union and municipality?

Ex-Member in good standing, IAFF
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

DC Gonz, and FWDbuff are absolutely right on here. So what if you're just off probation. If you are a union member in good standing, your voice counts just as much as the next guy. Frankly, I'm blown away that more guys on your job haven't called for these guys heads to roll. I always tell our new guys that this is their union too. Get involved, show up for meetings, and voice their opinions. They are the future of our union, as you are yours!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    yes we are IAFF. the eboard came out in our last union meeting and apologized for their actions. we seem to be rolling over as a body though and taking it. I am just off probation so i dont think it is really my place yet to stand up and voice my opinion. any suggestions.
    If this happened where I used to work, I would be SCREAMING at the top of my lungs for the Union President's and ALL of the E-Board members IMMEDIATE resignations. But I have to sit back and ponder for a minute- If your union officials (including the E-Board) allowed this to happen (no fight, no questioning, no I & I Bargaining, no vote of the membership, or at the very least a discussion at a meeting) I have to wonder- what have they let your Fire Chief get away with in the past? For something this huge to have been allowed, I find it hard to believe more things have not happened. Sounds to me like your Local is in bed with the Chief.

One other thing adding on to my previous statement- if you pay dues to your union, speak your mind. When you are out on the apparatus floor being a Proby, THEN be quiet.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information