Forum Member

Default Not trying to start an argument or anything...

I was just kinda thinking the other day...

We all see the 9/11 - 343 tattoos, car stickers, t-shirts, yadda yadda...

I know that 9/11 was obviously a terrible thing, and that so many firefighters were lost that day... but does anyone else think that putting so much emphasis on "Never forgetting" those 343, is putting much less emphasis on every other LODD?

Again, let me say once more, that I know its a terrible, terrible day, and my heart goes out to all of those killed on that day... it just seems like nobody thinks about all of the other firefighter deaths because of the WTC.

Why aren't there more "Never forget all of our fallen brothers" tattoos, or stickers, instead of "never forget, 9/11 - 343"

I dont know... just something I was thinking about when I saw someones truck with a 343 sticker...

I'm not going to be online for a while, but just looking to get some responses for when I come back this evening.

Again, Im not trying to start an argument, or make 9/11 seem like less than it was, just trying to have a rational discussion.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default One word....

TRENDY!!

(I do have a simple FDNY oval sticker on my bumper but that is it.)
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    I was just kinda thinking the other day...

We all see the 9/11 - 343 tattoos, car stickers, t-shirts, yadda yadda...

I know that 9/11 was obviously a terrible thing, and that so many firefighters were lost that day... but does anyone else think that putting so much emphasis on "Never forgetting" those 343, is putting much less emphasis on every other LODD?

Again, let me say once more, that I know its a terrible, terrible day, and my heart goes out to all of those killed on that day... it just seems like nobody thinks about all of the other firefighter deaths because of the WTC.

Why aren't there more "Never forget all of our fallen brothers" tattoos, or stickers, instead of "never forget, 9/11 - 343"

I dont know... just something I was thinking about when I saw someones truck with a 343 sticker...

I'm not going to be online for a while, but just looking to get some responses for when I come back this evening.

Again, Im not trying to start an argument, or make 9/11 seem like less than it was, just trying to have a rational discussion.

Who is telling you to forget the other BROTHERS? Not trying to start an argument or anything...
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 05-09-2007 at 06:29 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Well, I'll never forget!

Career Firefighter in the Southeast & Manhattan College '92
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

I think all of us who have had a LODD of someone they know or someone in their department will have no problem keeping that memory. For those of us far removed from NYC, the brothers lost brought a particular perspective as we were trying to digest the initial reports of the day: the towers gone? can't relate to that. 5000 people dead? no. 500 firefighters and police dead...now there was a catastrophe that struck home

Banned

I'm just hoping that NYC can be as classy as Oklahoma City. They have an Awesome memorial. The ground at the site of the WTC should be forever sacred, and should have nothing but a memorial on it. Let's hope that is all they do.

MembersZone Subscriber

NEVER FORGET...

...the 343+ and all the other brothers who had the heart to go in when everyone else was running out. They exemplified courage that day and many paid a supreme price. I knew only one by name but I will always remember each and every one for their sacrifice and the example they set that day. I will remember that despite those tragic events, FDNY still remains committed to protect, knowing they are a prime target in the war on terror.

...all of the other LODD's. They had the same courage the 343+ showed on 09/11. Their death is no less significant to me.

...we do this so others may live and to protect property. It is a dangerous profession and we know the risks. Be safe out there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Who is telling you to forget the other BROTHERS? Not trying to start an argument or anything...
    I never said I was forgetting any of them, I was just curious as to why people always have the "never forget our brothers from 9/11, but no sticker for all the other fallen firefighters over the years...
    IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

...... I was just curious as to why people always have the "never forget our brothers from 9/11, but no sticker for all the other fallen firefighters over the years...

Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 05-09-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

free enterprise i guess....you may be a good idea for a bumper sticker, hat, etc.

Forum Member

I just have the remember 9-11-01 decal
    I did not personally know any of the FDNY guys lost, but I did have five friends killed in Tower 1, one friend killed in the Pentagon, and two neighbors killed on flight 77. All of our lost countrymen need to be remember from that day. Those that were targeted directly, and those that died trying to save the targeted. As for all the other LODD deaths, I hope I honor them enough by getting on the BRT every time the alarm rings(or beeps these days) and doing my best to help our fellow man in their times of need.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I never said I was forgetting any of them, I was just curious as to why people always have the "never forget our brothers from 9/11, but no sticker for all the other fallen firefighters over the years...
    Personally when ever I see a "343" or "never Forget" it reminds me to remember all of our fallen brothers and especially the ones that I have known. If you get the chance try to attend the Fallen Firefighters memorial held each year at the National Fire Academy in Emmittsburg Maryland (1st weekend in October), you will see a great deal of stickers and shirts that are dedicated to local fallen firefighters. At my department, We wear black maltese crosses with a "TH3" on them on our helmets, this was designed for Ted Herloff Hansen III who was killed in 1996 during a smoke explosion.

FDNY suffered a tremendous loss on 911 that was felt by all firefighters around the world. Again IMHO The "343" or "Never Forget" helps to remind people of the unselfish sacrifices that firefighters are making "somewhere, everyday" If your looking for sirts, patches etc. that represent all fallen firefighters try this link www.firehero.org

Dave Burton Gary Fire Department
    Ted Hansen III Hobart Fire Department
    Frank Gilbert Portage Fire Department
    Bob Samanthas PMH
    Last edited by Chief2701; 05-09-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Never Forget

NEVER FORGET....... Rest Brothers, and my heart mourns everyday for you and your families.

To me every LODD death is tragic. But 9/11 was a brutal, murderous, unprovoked attack by radical Islamic extremist on the innocent. 9/11 effected all Americans unlike a local LODD. I would wager that most of the
    "9/11 decals" you see on cars are not owned by Firefighters.

The threat of radical Islam is not merely a few thousand terrorists using small explosives to kill a few dozen people at a time—usually in the faraway Middle East. Rather, it is an historic recrudescence of a violent, conquering old tradition of Islam that almost overwhelmed the world from the Seventh Century until as recently as the 17th century. It is radicalizing the minds of increasing numbers of the world’s 1.4 billion Muslims to be very aggressive culturally, as well as violent—from Africa to Indonesia, to Cairo to Ankara, to Paris, to Rotterdam to London to Falls Church, Va to Ft. Drum NJ. Look how these asshats returned our kindness by supporting them in Bosnia. We open our doors to them and they return the favor by looking to kill us.

9/11 ripped my heart a part. That’s the difference to me....
    Last edited by RoughRider; 05-09-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post

Yeah, Im aware there are Worcester 6 stickers (yadda yadda) also, but how often do you see those? I don't recall ever seeing one in my life (northern IL) Granted I don't live near where it happened, you hardly see them anywere else, however you see 9/11 sickers everywhere.

Again, I realize there are other stickers out there for specific deaths, but as a majority, you'll see many many more stickers that say "Never forget 9/11, 343" than you will "Never forget our fallen brothers" To me it just seems silly. I jsut feel if you're going to represent 343 of your brothers on the back of your car/truck, why not all of them?
    IACOJ

Forum Member

OlieCan meet HotTrotter,
    HotTrotter meet OlieCan.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    NEVER FORGET....... Rest Brothers, and my heart mourns everyday for you and your families.

To me every LODD death is tragic. But 9/11 was a brutal, murderous, unprovoked attack by radical Islamic extremist on the innocent. 9/11 effected all Americans unlike a local LODD. I would wager that most of the

The threat of radical Islam is not merely a few thousand terrorists using small explosives to kill a few dozen people at a time—usually in the faraway Middle East. Rather, it is an historic recrudescence of a violent, conquering old tradition of Islam that almost overwhelmed the world from the Seventh Century until as recently as the 17th century. It is radicalizing the minds of increasing numbers of the world’s 1.4 billion Muslims to be very aggressive culturally, as well as violent—from Africa to Indonesia, to Cairo to Ankara, to Paris, to Rotterdam to London to Falls Church, Va to Ft. Drum NJ. Look how these asshats returned our kindness by supporting them in Bosnia. We open our doors to them and they return the favor by looking to kill us.

THANK YOU WELL SAID BROTHER.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelFire View Post
    OlieCan meet HotTrotter,
    HotTrotter meet OlieCan.

I fail to see the connection

Theres a difference between Hottrotter talking about Juniors being full firefighters, and me, rationally and calmly discussing why there aren't more support for all of our fallen brothers, instead of just a huge wave of support for brothers who died at 9/11.

Get out of here troll, you're just trying to stir things up. Im here for a simple discussion.

My heart goes out to anyone involved in 9/11 or the Worcester 6, I am simply trying to give more suport to everyone else as well.

I knew people would take this way out of context... I suppose I shouldn't have posted it up at all... I guess I just assumed there wouldn't be such ignorant posts.
    Last edited by OlieCan; 05-09-2007 at 02:38 PM.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post

See... this is more of the type of response I was looking for. Someone to take what I said, and actually comment with their opinion, and not try and make this discussion into something it wasn't.

Thank you for your response, and I understand your position.
    IACOJ

Border Patrol

Yeah, Im aware there are Worcester 6 stickers (yadda yadda) also,
    yadda yadda? nice...

This brother (who lost many of his friends from his own house on 9/11) showed you an example of how there are others who are memorialized with decals, etc. and you come back with yadda yadda?

I fail to see the connection
    Don't worry, the rest of us do.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt790 View Post
    yadda yadda? nice...

This brother (who lost many of his friends from his own house on 9/11) showed you an example of how there are others who are memorialized with decals, etc. and you come back with yadda yadda?

Don't worry, the rest of us do.
    the "yadda yadda" was talking about stickers, decals, hats, shirts, and all that. the "yadda yadda" wasn't about worcester, it was about all the merchandise.

I love everyone on here who takes things out of context to try and make others look stupid, while making themselves look good.

(This is where someone quote me and says "don't worry, you're already making yourself look stupid")

IACOJ

Forum Member

I'll type it out one more time, but this time, read it slowly so you understand...

I was just curious as to why there wasn't more stickers or whatever other merchandise saying something along the lines of "never forget all of our fallen brothers" instead of merchandise specifiically for certian instances. There are many many firefighters who have 9/11 stickers that had no direct impact with 9/11 (other than being a firefighter itself) yet they have a 9/11 sticker, instead of an "everyone sticker"

Please stop taking my posts out of context and grow up.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

To me, a sticker that says Never Forget All of our Brothers is doing exactly that. It's grouping everyone into 1 nameless mass. A sticker that says Never Forget 343, you know what that means and who it refers to. A sticker that says W6, you know what that means and who it refers to. A generic sticker is just that...generic.

J.M.O.

PS - I have neither. I don't need a sticker to help me remember and if someone else does, that's their problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

It is really quite simple. More people "memorialize" 9-11 because how many other LODD's happened while THE ENTIRE NATION WATCHEDlive on TV.

In my lifetime, I cannot recall a single time that it has happend even on a small scale.

Another reason, is that many americans took 9-11 personally, even if they did not know personally any of the victims, be they FDNY or civilians.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Thank you Bones and pvfire for staying on topic and expressing your opinion.

Bones - thats a good way of looking at it, I never really thought of it that way. I also have neither sticker, I was jsut curious.

In the end I suppose it doesn't matter at all one way or the other... a sticker on your car won't change what it represents to the person who owns it, I was just wondering cause I had a small discussion with a member of my department when I saw it on another guys truck.

Thanks to those of you who stayed on topic, I pretty much got what I was looking for.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

the "yadda yadda" was talking about stickers, decals, hats, shirts, and all that. the "yadda yadda" wasn't about worcester, it was about all the merchandise.

I love everyone on here who takes things out of context to try and make others look stupid, while making themselves look good.

(This is where someone quote me and says "don't worry, you're already making yourself look stupid")

Then you should have explained yourself in that manner, instead of throwing out the yadda,yadda... You look like you have been around long enough that you should know that if you thow out a hap-hazard (sp) statement, that leaves it for someone else to interpret, than there is a very good chance they will not see it your way and get you flamed.

T.J.

Thread Information