MembersZone Subscriber

Post Need a little guidance please

Hello,
    My name is Drew Cash, I am 28, and I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I am wanting to become a Firefighter very bad, but I understand how difficult it is to get on. I have 3 arrests on my record. The first arrest was when I was 15 so I was a minor and I am not worried about it. My second arrest was in 2004 when I was in college for Simple assault (Misdemeanor). My most recent arrest was 14 months ago was for Disorderly Conduct (Misdemeanor). Will this hold me back from becoming a Firefighter? I am registered to start an EMT class in July so that is a good start. I do have a good story because 6 years ago I was in a terrible car accident in which an EMT saved my life. The passenger was my girlfriend and did not make it. I feel that I was left here to help others. I am looking for a little guidance. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Andrew

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a similar problem, I got a DUI when I was 18 in college and a then that summer got arrested at the beach for possion of alcohol. I knew that was going to be a black eye for the rest of my life. Most paid departments have policies on background history and every city is different. Go to the cities human resources department and they will be able to give you a list of disqualifiers, most cities websites will have them listed also.
    I will tell you the route I took when I was 20. I knew that I had to have something to help equal out my past mishaps. I joined the navy, I knew the military would look good for me later on. I became a Damage Controlman, or in other words shipboard firefighters. I had the same job as a regular firefighter and then some. So when I came out of the Navy I had some good training and experience, not to mention the military experience.
    Now the Navy might not be a good option for you, but the Air Force also has a job that is a firefighter. And man they have one of the best firefighting schools around, I took a few class at their trainning area and man it was top of the line. Also not to mention the Air Force guys live a little better than any of the other military branches. Again if this doesn't sound good they also have the air national guard which has a fire fighter job and you go to all the air force schools. Not to mention most of the schools you receive certifcations that you could use to apply for a DOD fire department.
    I know this was a pretty long response, but I was in a simialr situation and now I am on a large and very fire heavy department and livin the dream. Im not a big military pusher because I do know that it is not for everyone, but it really did help me out. I hoped this helped you a little. GOOD LUCK Buddy

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Saints are VERY HARD to find

Drew,

Understand that firefighters are probably the most trusted members of society...people literally trust us with their lives, property, children, etc.

Therefore it is understandable why departments have very strict requirements...and are looking for people with morality and values.
    With that said, however, they also understand that there are very few saints.

If you take a fire test and become involved in a FAIR hiring process, there will be three things that will HELP you overcome your past:

Acknowledging your mistakes
    -They have seen your background (or will), so be TRUTHFUL in all parts of the processes. Acknowledge your mistakes as that...and show them how you have LEARNED FROM THEM(and therefore haven't repeated them).

Time from negative occurances
    - The more time that has passed since your last speeding ticket, arrest, etc the more you have proved that you have "overcome" your past issues.

Actions since negative occurances
    - Actions speak louder than words. Anyone can SAY that they want to "make a difference" or "help people." Few people DO. If you are going into an interview and the panel asks you why you want to be a firefighter...if your reason is because you want to help people - you better have something in your background to back up your words...like working with Habitat for Humanity or similar community programs.

One last thing.
    If a firefighting career is "something you want bad" then be prepared to be told NO many times before you get told yes. Honestly, your past will be difficult to overcome, but if you take the three things I mentioned above into consideration, your hurdles will become smaller as time goes on.
    TEST AS MANY TIMES AS YOU CAN.
    DON'T GIVE UP.

Good luck and keep stayin out of trouble,

John

Forum Member

I agree with sparky. Tell them up front about your past. Be honest in all your dealings with getting the job.Do not give up. If you really want the job you will get it. But you may hear a few NOs before you get a Yes.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Cash advance?

Quote Originally Posted by drew4980 View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Drew Cash, I am 28, and I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I am wanting to become a Firefighter very bad, but I understand how difficult it is to get on. I have 3 arrests on my record. The first arrest was when I was 15 so I was a minor and I am not worried about it. My second arrest was in 2004 when I was in college for Simple assault (Misdemeanor). My most recent arrest was 14 months ago was for Disorderly Conduct (Misdemeanor). Will this hold me back from becoming a Firefighter? I am registered to start an EMT class in July so that is a good start. I do have a good story because 6 years ago I was in a terrible car accident in which an EMT saved my life. The passenger was my girlfriend and did not make it. I feel that I was left here to help others. I am looking for a little guidance. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    Andrew
    Drew, You made some comments that have me wondering about your character. You say you're not worried about an arrest when you were 15yrs.old. To me that statement means you think you are above the law. I can only imagine what you did,seeing how you omitted the details. Obviously you didn't learn your lesson, getting busted twice more in your mid twenties. Im sorry you lost your girlfriend in a tragic mva, however that does not make for a "good story". Perhaps if you answered your calling 6 years ago after the accident, instead of "simply" assaulting people, you may have been able to use that inspiration. The advice you have rec'd thus far is excellent,and you couldn't go wrong enlisting in the military, which in my opinion is the best pre-requisite one can have. I sincerely hope you can formulate a plan that will land you a covetted firefighting position soon. All the best dude.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Drew, You made some comments that have me wondering about your character. You say you're not worried about an arrest when you were 15yrs.old. To me that statement means you think you are above the law. I can only imagine what you did,seeing how you omitted the details. Obviously you didn't learn your lesson, getting busted twice more in your mid twenties. Im sorry you lost your girlfriend in a tragic mva, however that does not make for a "good story". Perhaps if you answered your calling 6 years ago after the accident, instead of "simply" assaulting people, you may have been able to use that inspiration. The advice you have rec'd thus far is excellent,and you couldn't go wrong enlisting in the military, which in my opinion is the best pre-requisite one can have. I sincerely hope you can formulate a plan that will land you a covetted firefighting position soon. All the best dude.
    I thank everyone for the responses of guidance that I have received thus far. As far as this last suggestion, I am confused. I never in my life have believed I was above the law. I am not looking to getting into an internet argument either. The only reason I said that I was not worried about getting into trouble when I was 15 was because I was a minor and had my records sealed. I will be honest when applying for a position, but I was a minor and I learned from that mistake. I realize your comments about assaulting people and answer my calling 6 years, but I spent a few months in the hospital and recovered and answered my calling to complete college. I am human, I make mistakes. I am sure that you have never made any mistake and I wish that I was as good as you, but I am not. What is done is done. I will continue with my EMT and then Paramedic education and take it from there. I will continue to stay out of trouble and continue to volunteer. I have already volunteered in various businesses including Habitat for Humanity and Shepherd Center where I was a patient, but I will continue to volunteer in more. I think so highly of Firefighters and I will become one in the future. I understand that I may get alot of No's, but I will keep trying until I get that one Yes. If the highest that I can get is a Paramedic, then that is what I will do and do the best job everyday doing it that I can. I do understand the difficulty of becoming a Firefighter and if I could change the past I would, but I cant. I do respect your comments and if it was meant to discourage me, then it did not work. I was left here to help others and I will not stop until I am a Firefighter.
    Respectivly,
    Drew

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drew4980 View Post
    I thank everyone for the responses of guidance that I have received thus far. As far as this last suggestion, I am confused. I never in my life have believed I was above the law. I am not looking to getting into an internet argument either. The only reason I said that I was not worried about getting into trouble when I was 15 was because I was a minor and had my records sealed. I will be honest when applying for a position, but I was a minor and I learned from that mistake. I realize your comments about assaulting people and answer my calling 6 years, but I spent a few months in the hospital and recovered and answered my calling to complete college. I am human, I make mistakes. I am sure that you have never made any mistake and I wish that I was as good as you, but I am not. What is done is done. I will continue with my EMT and then Paramedic education and take it from there. I will continue to stay out of trouble and continue to volunteer. I have already volunteered in various businesses including Habitat for Humanity and Shepherd Center where I was a patient, but I will continue to volunteer in more. I think so highly of Firefighters and I will become one in the future. I understand that I may get alot of No's, but I will keep trying until I get that one Yes. If the highest that I can get is a Paramedic, then that is what I will do and do the best job everyday doing it that I can. I do understand the difficulty of becoming a Firefighter and if I could change the past I would, but I cant. I do respect your comments and if it was meant to discourage me, then it did not work. I was left here to help others and I will not stop until I am a Firefighter.
    Respectivly,
    Drew
    Drew, I want to apologize for being so critical to you earlier. Now that I see what you've been through, and the strides you have made towards a firefighting career, i'd say your chances are excellent. Good luck 'future' bro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Drew,

I will admit that I had some of the same concerns that our Canadian brother had, but decided not to voice them.

I will also admit that if everything you said in your last post is true, then you are well on your way to jumping those "hurdles."

Understand that you will face adversity, much like the previous post, while going through the hiring process...your intentions and your character will be questioned and tested.
    As long as you are honest, respectful and respond the way that you have, I believe you will have a decent shot at a job.

Two more words of advice:
    1)Most departments form their ranking list based on your written test score. Besides being in great physical shape, and being honest throughout the process, STUDYING YOUR BUTT OFF is probably the most important thing you can do to help you get a good shot at a job.

2)Remember that it's more about the journey than the destination. Keep this in mind to help you stay postiive. As you try to get your "dream" job, realize that it will help you to become a better and stronger person.

Good luck, keep in touch...
    John

Thread Information