Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumb question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dumb question

Ok I have a dumb question but as I tell all my rookies the only dumb question is the one not asked so here I go. Could some one give me a short explaination of that the CEDAP grants are and what type of equipment you can apply for. I know thats a big topic and i have looked in past thread for information but most just talked about part of it or confused me even more. Thanks and please be gentle with me lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not a dumb question at all....

Commercial Equipment Direct Acquisition Program (CEDAP) is a Federal grant program that provides specific equipment directly to first responding agencies. It is a DHS/DOD program that is administered through the Responder Knowledge Base (https://www.rkb.mipt.org/), which is also a clearing house of information on a number of grant programs.

The CEDAP home page is here:
    https://www.rkb.mipt.org/contentdeta...ntent_id=83219
    The "Knowledge Links" box in the upper right hand side of the page will link you to the eligible product list for this year. Compared to the past few years, there is little on this list that is directly fire related, but CEDAP funding has its roots in law enforcement so it's time for them to get a little extra shot. There are a few pretty good haz-mat tools on the list, and don't overlook anything.

The application process is pretty straightforward, as long as you know your needs and critical infrastructure that you protect. As with any Federal grant program these days, interagency ineroperability is of paramount importance. Departments that have ever received any UASI funds OR have been awarded an AFG grant since 10-1-2005 are not eligible this year.

Kurt Bradley may have some clearer information on his web site, www.chiefsupply.com.

Hope this helps.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Is that all they are offering this year is those 18 items through CEDAP? Or am I mis-reading it. Thanks in advance.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, you are not mis-reading it; only 18 items to pick from. Not much to pick from either.

Just for everyone's benefit I am going to throw my two cents into the mix here. The funding matrix from now on will be 80% for Law Enforcement and 20% Fire/EMS/other. Look at it kind of like you do AFG where 25% of the money is in Vehicle Acquisition and 75% in Ops and Safety.You have better chance in AFG by applying in the bigger pool of money so Ops & Safety apps get funded much more often.

Use the same logic with CEDAP. If 80% ofthe awards are going to go to Law Enforcement, then go to your law enforcement agency and offer to help them write the grant in exchange for sharing benefit of the equipment.

IE; A haz-mat ID kit. LE needs to know what chemicals they are dealing with when taking down clandestine drug labs. In most cases with a suspected meth lab they are going to have the FD standing by anyway for fire suppression, hazmat help and SCBA equipment.

Use that logic and create a "taskforce" type approach. If they want you to identify properly what they are about to deal with; then you need that tool to do that job. Now, if the application goes in under the LE agency name, with a good collaborative effort approach in the spirit of NIMS and interagency cooperation, you will stand a better chance of getting funded because you are swimming inthe bigger pool of money.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Use the same logic with CEDAP. If 80% ofthe awards are going to go to Law Enforcement, then go to your law enforcement agency and offer to help them write the grant in exchange for sharing benefit of the equipment.

NOW YOU BRING THAT UP...

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post

NOW YOU BRING THAT UP...
    Well, since I have been a little BUSY lately with AFG, it is the first time I have really had time to answer that little dilemma. Sorry! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help. I guess I can;t apply for a while we got a 2005 and 2006 AFG grant.

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I guess I can;t apply for a while we got a 2005 and 2006 AFG grant.
    You just learned a very valuable lesson guy; always look at the eligibility requirements first on any grant you think you might be interested in. Saves a lot of time and effort sometimes.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Red face

So, this is the palce for dumb questions, We were awarded the 2006 FP&S grant. Does this eliminate us from the CEDAP?

Quote Originally Posted by HDFireball1 View Post
    So, this is the palce for dumb questions, We were awarded the 2006 FP&S grant. Does this eliminate us from the CEDAP?
    No, it said AFG, not FP&S.You are eligible
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information