MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

good videos. the 3rd videos where the firefighter with no jacket get burned on the ladder, i almost became physically ill when i saw this for the first time. not because of the "shock" of the event, but more so how the firefighter went up that ladder without all of his gear on. if he had all of his gear on properly his inuries would not have been as severe as they were. this event could very well have ended his career.

i plan on useing this video soon to show the firefighters on my department the improtance of wearing all of your gear.

Forum Member

I'd say that video is at least 10 years old. Story was, the guy was running some equipment up the ladder to another guy and got caught at a bad moment. I THINK it was out in the Vegas area, but not sure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I'd say that video is at least 10 years old. Story was, the guy was running some equipment up the ladder to another guy and got caught at a bad moment. I THINK it was out in the Vegas area, but not sure.

The instructor for my basic class made us watch that video for PPE night. Lets say everyone in my class wont be caught without it on. Its been awhile since my class but i think that may have ended his career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    That video is a least 17 years old.

I was shown that clip when I was in the academy in 1990.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Mishaps are timeless
    Hamptons Fire - Home of The Best Firefighting Video

MembersZone Subscriber

I cant see the video since it doesnt work at work but it sounds like one that I've seen that came from a Houston firefighter... who if I remember correctly, had the same thing happen to him AGAIN for a second time. I may be wrong though... my memory can be fuzzy at times

Forum Member

Here's one by Houston FD St 19. Great video.

Chris.

This is from the thebravestonline.com

http://www.thebravestonline.com/VentJob19.html
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

MembersZone Subscriber

good video and site (thebravest) - Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

LAFD roof operations video on you tube is pretty hot- they get the job done and then some.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

MembersZone Subscriber

Couldn't agree more -
    That is the first link I included in the list.

The 3rd video is actually 28 years old. It was the Beaverton High School fire (Portland Oregon suburb) of the summer of 1979. The fire was in a concealed space above the gym. It was a very hot day and the crews had been on scene for several hours. The AO on the ladder had been standing in the sun on the turn table for the whole time. He heard that the roof crews had finally decided to vent the roof and decided to run the roof board up. The Truck firefighter is seen following him up to help out. As the AO made the roof the fire self vented throwing burning tar everywhere and ignited his department issued poly blend uniform shirt. The AO spent many weeks in the burn unit but returned to duty. I worked with him for the rest of his career. He made retirement and is happy fishing on the Oregon coast today.

What you don't see is the other 15 chiefs, company officers and firefighters who were on the roof scrambling for their lives as the roof went in. Remarkably everyone made it off and the AO was the only injury. Everyone you see in the video is retired now.

It is another reminder that anything can happen anytime ... even hours into the fire, haz mat or EMS call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredC6 View Post
    The 3rd video is actually 28 years old. It was the Beaverton High School fire (Portland Oregon suburb) of the summer of 1979. The fire was in a concealed space above the gym. It was a very hot day and the crews had been on scene for several hours. The AO on the ladder had been standing in the sun on the turn table for the whole time. He heard that the roof crews had finally decided to vent the roof and decided to run the roof board up. The Truck firefighter is seen following him up to help out. As the AO made the roof the fire self vented throwing burning tar everywhere and ignited his department issued poly blend uniform shirt. The AO spent many weeks in the burn unit but returned to duty. I worked with him for the rest of his career. He made retirement and is happy fishing on the Oregon coast today.

What you don't see is the other 15 chiefs, company officers and firefighters who were on the roof scrambling for their lives as the roof went in. Remarkably everyone made it off and the AO was the only injury. Everyone you see in the video is retired now.

It is another reminder that anything can happen anytime ... even hours into the fire, haz mat or EMS call.
    C6, thanks for the follow up, I saw it in the 80's sometime and it helped tremdously making changes to the way alot of FF's went about doing their business. Glad to hear everyone ended up OK and made reirement. Thanks again.
    ex Chief 500

Thread Information