Thread: ang commitments

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ang commitments

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about the air national guard. the FF program is run through goodfellow and is the same as the air force. what i am wondering is, will having a commitment to a weekend a month and two weeks a year for the next 3 or 6 years look unattractive to a to someone who wants to hire me? thanks in advance

Forum Member

I am in the ANG and I found it helpful having the training through the guard. Employers cannot discriminate you because you are in the military. There is a program called the ESGR and it helps you out. Many departments like having military fireman because we are already disciplined and all of that good stuff. The certs you earn in the guard and reserve also set you ahead of many career ff's because most departments won't send you to school until you have been there for some time so getting your officer, instructor and investigator certs along with your driver/operators will set you way ahead. Just my 2 cents

MembersZone Subscriber

what is the esgr program? i know there are laws against discrimating against servicemen, but does that mean it won't happen? i don't think it will, but i thought i should check before i sign on the dotted line.....

Forum Member

the esgr is employee support of the guard and reserve. It helps with the prevention of discrimination against military. I joined the guard in APR05 and have had no problems with any of my employers. The department I work for now actually likes the fact that I am a guard firefighter because they do not have to send me to advanced schools since the guard covers most of my advanced courses.

Forum Member

A lot of pros and cons. The ANG firefighters do deploy often. I've noticed our local ANG guys seem to do about 4 months overseas out of every 18 months. I don't care what the law or ESGR says, some places will discriminate against you and not hire you. Oral interviews have a lot of leeway in grading and can justify a lower evaluation however they want. Not to mention, how many application periods and tests will you miss while deployed? It can also be difficult to take your paramedic course if you can't do clinicals on weekends and you're deploying the middle of the class. Once you are on the job, different story. They will complain, but can't do anything about it.

Whether the training helps or not varies too. If you are in a state that accepts the certs-like ryguy must be-it could help. However, there are about 15 states that don't, and many metro depts want you to go through their dept academy anyway. In my case, my military training has made me a better firefighter. But it hasn't mattered a dam towards promotion, raises, or certification.

You are to be commended for wanting to serve our country. But don't do it for the fire training.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the good input. i am really looking forward to the ang. i think it will be a great experiance. i'm not doing it just for the training, i want to help people who need it. i guess thats also a big reason for wanting to be a firefighter. i just am trying to get as much info before i join as i can. thanks again.

Forum Member

GUNNYV is soooo right about that, I failed to mention that some citied require you to go through their academies regardless of your certifications. I am fortunate that where I live, the state accepts all of my certs and I did not have to go back to the academy. Even so.....fire academy is awesome. The guys in my department talk nothing but good about fire school. As far as deploying, I have not been deployed since joining the unit 2 years ago and they have not had any unit alerts since. Maybe because we have C5's instead of fighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 164thDelta View Post
    GUNNYV is soooo right about that, I failed to mention that some citied require you to go through their academies regardless of your certifications. I am fortunate that where I live, the state accepts all of my certs and I did not have to go back to the academy. Even so.....fire academy is awesome. The guys in my department talk nothing but good about fire school. As far as deploying, I have not been deployed since joining the unit 2 years ago and they have not had any unit alerts since. Maybe because we have C5's instead of fighters.

from everything i have found, ct will take my all the certs i will get. most of the departments around won't make me do the academy, but if they do, its just more training. the base here has a-10's but are changing over to passenger jets (c-130's?). they havent been deployed much in the past, but again, i wouldn't join if i didn't like the idea of getting shipped out.

MembersZone Subscriber

You didn't mention where you live, but I always suggest visiting the unit on a drill weekend. Ask the people there about how things are run. You will be expected to have your "5 level" and complete required mobility training before you're allowed to reschedule any drills.
    As far as the civilian job and employer support situation, I believe it happens frequently but as it's been said before, it's hard to prove as the hiring process is so subjective.
    Have you considered the USAF Reserve or other state's ANG and compared them??? There will be differences in the unit's mission, facilities, equipment, benefits, incentives, opportunities, and annual tours. It all depends on what you're looking for. The ANG may even vary from state to state. If your civilian job requires you to relocate, it may be easier to transfer from one Reserve unit to another compared to the ANG.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    Have you considered the USAF Reserve or other state's ANG and compared them??? There will be differences in the unit's mission, facilities, equipment, benefits, incentives, opportunities, and annual tours.
    Three of my Marines transferred to the ANG in Ohio. Michigan Air Guard had no room, but Ohio did. Ohio also gave them tuition assistance and a bonus that Michigan did not offer. If you're close to neighboring states ANG/AFR bases, check your options.

MembersZone Subscriber

You didn't mention where you live, but I always suggest visiting the unit on a drill weekend. Ask the people there about how things are run. You will be expected to have your "5 level" and complete required mobility training before you're allowed to reschedule any drills.
    As far as the civilian job and employer support situation, I believe it happens frequently but as it's been said before, it's hard to prove as the hiring process is so subjective.
    Have you considered the USAF Reserve or other state's ANG and compared them??? There will be differences in the unit's mission, facilities, equipment, benefits, incentives, opportunities, and annual tours. It all depends on what you're looking for. The ANG may even vary from state to state. If your civilian job requires you to relocate, it may be easier to transfer from one Reserve unit to another compared to the ANG.
    i did get the chance to visit during drill weekend. the guys that i talked to gave me some really good info. i also looked into reserves and other states, but most of the other bases didn't have either the possitions or benefits i wanted.

as far as i can tell, the ang is fairly uniform from state to state, but if i need to relocate i might not beable to get the same possition on a new base.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

...and they said there was no such thing as a smart Marine!!!....LOL
    Last edited by davjohnson; 05-10-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Worldwide Menace

...and they said there was no such thing as a smart Marine!!!....LOL
    LOL!

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

An experienced recruiter would know about overfilling positions in the USAFR, but that may not be an option these days.. I don't hear much about it in the ANG. You should at least ask.

Forum Member

Overfilling still happens. I was double-slotted in a position with someone else. Its no biggy because once one of you gets promoted, the position is no longer double-slotted (correct me if im wrong, this is just how i interpreted it when explained to me)

I have loved the ANG Fire Dept thus far. Its def. worth the time and commitment. Your experience will vary from base to base, but i have been lucky enough to be in the presence of many city guys from philly, allentown and such where i can learn THAT much more...the guys on the dept have such a wealth of knowledge, its hard to figure how where to start picking brains...Hardest part for me is the drive to and from base on the weekends...and thats no real big deal

-Stanton
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Thread Information