MembersZone Subscriber

Default San Antonio, TX is testing again

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/Admin...ng/Recruit.asp

Join San Antonio's Bravest
    Applications accepted June 4, 2007 through June 30, 2007
    Download the official annoucement detailing application places, times & requirements: Official Annoucement [pdf]

Applications will be accepted beginning June 4, 2007 thru June 30, 2007 at 300 S. Callaghan (Fire Training Academy). See Minimum Qualifications to determine if you are eligible to apply. The Fire Trainee Examination will be administered at 3p.m. on August 20, 2007 at the Convention Center located at 200 E. Market.

Applicants that live 100 miles or greater (mapquest.com) from San Antonio can have an application packet mailed to them upon request via email or phone (210-207-8427). Mail-in applications from applicants living within 100 miles will be discarded without notice.

If you meet the 100 miles or greater criteria, you can make your request beginning at 7:45 am (CST) on Monday, May 28, 2007. Last day for application request is midnight (CST) Friday, June 15, 2007.

Mailed application submissions must be postmarked no earlier than June 4, 2007 with a return postmark and mailed no later than midnight June 30, 2007. If return envelope has two postmarks, the most recent postmark will take precedent. SAFD will not be held responsible for damaged, delayed or lost mail.

Recruiting Office
    215 S. San Saba, Suite 107
    San Antonio, Texas 78207
    (210)207-8427
    E-mail:SAFDRecruit

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hiring trend

Thanks for the info Chuckbrooks. Do you work for the department? If you do, do you know if they're continuing their high hiring trend? I had heard they were taking close to a 100 off each list in the past. Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got the letter. I start the academy next week. As far as their present or future hiring practices, this was my first time testing so all I could give you is rumors. Sorry, but I'm not real well informed on this.

I posted this because I don't see a lot on here about the SAFD usually. I think it's a great department and is at least worth a look.

I can tell you that there is no residency requirement, that the test is very objective (not too many subjective tasks or questions during the entire process actually), and that most of the specific questions that you have can be found in the forums on http://www.sanantoniofire.org or at the official department website.

I did a lot of research on my way out of the Army when I was in Alaska and San Antonio was my first choice. Luckily, it worked out. But, I know several people who have tested for several years and are still trying to get on. If you study the Barron's guide and get good at memorizing photographic details and answering questions about them, it will help you a lot on the written test. Your ranking comes entirely from the written. The rest is pass/fail.

They usually have more than one class off of the yearly list. Our's is the first class and we took the test last July (so the process takes a while). There will be 22 in my class. I believe that they took those 22 from about the first 150 off of the list.

I don't actually work for the dept yet. So, any info that I have has comes from the hiring process and from friends of mine in the dept. But, I do live down here and can give you some area info if you PM me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Below is a link to the FAQ's section for the 2007 San Antonio fire exam.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/Admin...RecruitFAQ.asp

Don McNea Fire School will be conducting prep classes for the fourth consecutive San Antonio fire exam. The class date will be August 18th. We will have additional details in the near future at our website www.fireprep.com

If you want to get the early edge over your competition, you can purchase the Encyclopedia of Firefighter Examinations that is recommended by the San Antonio recruitment unit to prepare for the exam at the link below.

http://www.fireprep.com/encyclopedia...ighter_ex.html

Good luck !!

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Test drive our 14 day e-mail series that covers the written, psychological, oral interview and physical agility at the link below.

http://www.fireprep.com/fireprep_com...day_email.html
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 05-24-2007 at 10:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also look at the Barron's study guide (the brown one that has a few old FDNY tests as practice tests in the back).

App. Processiong recommended this one as well.

I used that book and was well prepared for the test last year.

MembersZone Subscriber

when do you take the CPAT? is it only good there or can I take it anywhere as long as it is certified and within a year?

Also to get the language credit, how do you do it? Is it written or oral? and when do you test for it?

MembersZone Subscriber

ChuckBrooks,
    How close to you getting out of the Army did you start applying to various departments?

MembersZone Subscriber

Does any one know the "work week"? I heard it was straight 56 with 9 hours OT in the check each pay? I this true?

Forum Member

the website and application recommended 3 helpful extra books beyond the study guide, i dont feel like buying 3 books and feel it is overkill for studying and dont wanna fill my head with extra info if i dont have too. in your opinion chuck, what are the top 2 book to study beyond the study guide?

also, its takin you almost a year from when you tested and get to start the academy??

Forum Member

Has anyone requested an out of town application? I did one with email on like the 1st and then one by phone on Monday. I have not gotten a response nor an application, jw if anybody else is doing this.. Wondering if I should try and actually talk to a person tomorrow because it is the last day. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I left a voicemail i believe on monday sometime and she called me back tuesday morning... and it was supposed to be in the mail real soon she said but i havent recieved anything yet but its gotta come to MI so idk... I would call first thing tommarow if you can

Good Luck

Forum Member

i requested an application since i was out of town by email and got it really really quick, im talkin within a few days.

Thread Information