Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asonger

Thread: Public Safety PERSONALITY TEST 100%

Forum Member

Talking Public Safety PERSONALITY TEST 100%

There is a right way to pass the test unlike they say in the practice book for Public Safety testing .....

There is this thing call Extraversion..... This is what fire Departments are looking for.. You want the answer all the questions to make you have the personality traits of.... Motivation,Conscieniousness, Social Situations, and just have a high Extraversion. Plus there is 50 questions but actually there is only 25 questions because 2 questions are the same but they reworded each one different so. My advice is go straight the th eback of the exam and do the personality test FIRST. Because you get really tired if you do the first part of the test and then you just run right threw the personality portion of it and not even read the questions carefully.

When i do it i try to match the questions up that mean the same thing and answer them so they match. You dont want to seem weird when you answer one questions in two different ways.

It works i know i got a 100% on the public Safety test after 3 times taking it i found out how to take it.

One more thing DONT answer "NOT SURE"..... if you do only 2 times!!!!. If your not sure then why would a fire department want you if your not sure of THINGS!!!! THINK PEOPLE IT IS REALLY EASY!!!

You will automatically fail the personaility test if you answer questions towards a point of making you look. easly Anger, Emotional unstable. think people a fire department want a stable,motivated person who gets along with people!!!!!!!
    benvin7983 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think that will help me out BIG TIME!!!!

Forum Member

So were you able to get on with a department using public safety?

Forum Member

Default I did horrible on the public safety test.

I noticed you did a 100% I totally crashed and burned. Im wondering though Ive heard some people say to answer strongly agree or strongly disagree on the personality portion. Did the study guide help on the actual test part? I thought I had common sense. I do ok on my study guides and other tests but not on the public safety. What should I do. What was your score the first time taking the test?

MembersZone Subscriber Japhro84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ashncole View Post
    Im wondering though Ive heard some people say to answer strongly agree or strongly disagree on the personality portion. Did the study guide help on the actual test part?
    DO NOT, only use strongly agree/disagee. I did this on the Milwaukee test (NFSI) and it destroyed what would have been a high score. So, I can tell you from experience. Definitely, try and link together the questions that are worded differently so you make sure you answer the same. The study guide is almost identical to the test (I thought so). If you master that thing, then you know exactly the types of questions/formulas will be on that final.
    Last edited by Japhro84; 01-15-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Forum Member

Where can I get this study guide. I got a test coming in two weeks, its my first test, and I want to be fully prepared.

Forum Member

Default Public Safey PERSONALITY TEST 100%

Has anyone had any experience taking a personality test from a company called Fire and Police Selection Inc. out of California.

Quote Originally Posted by fmine109 View Post
    Where can I get this study guide. I got a test coming in two weeks, its my first test, and I want to be fully prepared.
    http://www.publicsafetyrecruitment.c....asp?Type=Fire

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got a 97.7 the other day taking this test for the first time, but I have no idea how I did in what sections. Is the personality part rolled into the score? Or is it separate from the score?

Quote Originally Posted by Japhro84 View Post
    DO NOT, only use strongly agree/disagee. I did this on the Milwaukee test (NFSI) and it destroyed what would have been a high score. So, I can tell you from experience. Definitely, try and link together the questions that are worded differently so you make sure you answer the same. The study guide is almost identical to the test (I thought so). If you master that thing, then you know exactly the types of questions/formulas will be on that final.

To counter your experience Japhro, I recently took this test, did strongly a/d for every question and got a 95.xx, so I would be careful throwing advice out there...you may of just made a few mistakes on other questions, or answered the questions incorrectly period (i.e. s/a when it should have been in a disagree category)....
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

asonger is on the right track. I too got 100% but used strongly a couple of times... It appears that the matching up of pair of questions works. Of course we'll see how long this thread stays up, as we are "breaking the law" by discussing this test. Remember the Nondisclosure Agreement you signed? basically they assert that the test is copyrighted and you are waiving your right to free speech when you sign. I think the PST test is done for now that more and more people know what you are talking about in this thread. There was a test cycle last year here in Washington that had a cutoff score of 100%. So watch for PST to "re-validate" their test and change how they score that portion. Far more infuriating is the "Video human relations test" given by Bates and others. I have 9 years experience in a firehouse, working with many different crews, many of whom had beliefs and ideas 180 degrees from mine. But I got along great with all of them, yet somehow their "test" scores me at 85% every time. I believe that this one was validated using Olympia WA and Long Beach CA. So of course these situations must apply to every department, right?. I miss the days when tests only contained questions that had provable answers, but then again I'm a sucker for reality. ;-)

MembersZone Subscriber

In the past, this test consultant had given scores of 98-100% to candidates who answered either Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. However, from recent examinations across the country, it appears that they have changed the format for scoring. The individuals who are scoring 98-100% are now answering Agree or Disagree.

We recommend that you never, ever answer Not Sure. This gives the appearance of waivering, being wishy-washy and being unsure of your decisions

Personality traits of a successful firefighter that these types of exams are looking for.

• Maintains effective and pleasant working relationships with superiors and peers. This is a must!

• Gets along well with others in a working relationship. Remember that firefighters work a 24-hour shift. You aren’t going home after a normal 8-hour workday like most Americans do; you are spending an entire 24 hours with other firefighters. You are expected to be able to get along in this atmosphere. Getting along is crucial to working side-by-side at an emergency scene. You must be able to trust and depend on each other. This is one of the key personality characteristics that they are trying to find in a successful candidate. Can you get along? Can you work together with others in a continuous 24-hour period?

• Is flexible, not rigid, in thinking. It’s not “my way or the highway.” Firefighting is a team effort, not an individual effort. You must know that suggestions and recommendations are going to be made as a team; whatever is best for the team is what the final decision will be.

• Is a self-motivated individual. Firefighters are people who get things done. They don’t wait around to be told what to do; they take action.

• Is decisive. Firefighters are not wishy-washy or maybe-sort of in their personality traits. They have to make a decision and stick with it. Sometimes decisions don’t work out as planned, but it is a decision based on experience and the situation that is confronting you.

• Has empathy and is supportive of others in time of need. The definition of empathy is being able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes to feel what they are feeling. Are you the type of person that can do that? Or are you the type of person who closes yourself in and can’t imagine what the other person is experiencing. Firefighters respond to emergency scenes where people are in need. You need to be empathetic to better serve others. This is an important personality trait and is one that is critical on these examinations.

• Is able to control and keep emotions on an even keel. Firefighters do not get high anxiety or stressed in emergency situations. They need to stay calm and controlled to make the appropriate decisions.

• Has a pleasant, good sense of humor. Firefighters are easy to get along with their coworkers; they have a good sense of humor; they are not thin-skinned; they can take comments from coworkers and the public without feeling offended.

• Is willing to accept constructive criticism from others. Remember that firefighting is a paramilitary organization. You will take criticism from your superiors; you must accept it, find out how you can improve, and move on.

• Knows that there is a chain of command and that following established department procedures is important in an organization. Again, firefighting is a paramilitary organization. You report to your lieutenant, captain or battalion chief. You don’t step out of rank over your officer to go to their superior. There is a chain of command and you must follow it.

• Is willing to work as a team member. This personality characteristic is one of the most important ones that will determine whether or not you can be a successful firefighter. Firefighting is a team effort. It’s not about individual accomplishments or what did I do; it’s what the team did. This is what it’s all about. You need to be able to work as a team. You must accept the team’s decisions, even if you feel that your opinion in the decision is the best one. If the team determines another decision, then you must follow and support the team’s decision.

• Has a positive and enthusiastic attitude. Firefighters are optimistic and believe that the outcome of a situation will be positive.

• Honesty. Firefighters are by nature very honest and trustworthy individuals. Citizens need to feel comfortable around firefighters and not feel suspicious of their motives.

• Shows initiative. Firefighters take initiative. They don’t lay back to find out what can be done; they take action when it is needed.

• Innovativeness. Firefighters come up with ideas and suggestions for the betterment of the team.

• Uses judgment and common sense. Firefighters don’t just “shoot from the hip.” They use common sense and judgment for the best outcome at an emergency scene.

• Has a positive attitude and believes that a successful outcome will occur in emergency situations. Firefighters are optimistic individuals, not pessimists. They believe that emergency situations will have the best outcome for those they are treating and always display that positive attitude on the scene.

• Has strong values and ethics. Firefighters are honest, trustworthy, dependable, and moral. They don’t try and find the angle that is best for them; they are people that can be depended upon.

• Good organizational skills. Firefighters are well organized. Good organizational skills are needed at the fire house and on emergency scenes.

• Dependable. Firefighters are the type of people that you can count on. They are on time and are there when you need them.

• Able to speak clearly and audibly. Firefighters need to be understood by the public; they don’t speak too fast, they have an even tone and are able to be well understood.

• Ability to follow oral directions. Firefighters are the type of people who can follow oral directions from their superiors and other firefighters.

• Ability to follow written directions. Firefighters must be able to understand their Standard Operating Procedures and their department rules and regulations. They must be able to understand written instructions on how equipment works and is employed at the scene.

• Is able to handle stress and stay calm in emergency situations. Again, firefighters don’t show high anxiety, stress or nervousness – they remain calm so that everyone else in an emergency situation can also remain calm.

• Works with little or no supervision. There are times on an emergency scene when you are given an order and you must complete that order by yourself. You have to be able to know what you are doing and accomplish the task.

• Is able to take charge when the situation demands it. Firefighters are take-charge kind of people. They don’t sit back; they show initiative to get things accomplished.

• Under emergency conditions, can handle critical decision-making. Many times at an emergency scene, critical decisions must be made. Firefighters must be able to make these decisions. They must trust their instinct and experience and have the most optimistic attitude towards a positive outcome.

• Under emergency conditions is able to perform both repetitive and complex tasks with little or no supervision. Firefighters often perform the same repetitive duties at the firehouse and at an emergency scene. They must be able to perform these tasks without direction. Firefighters take initiative to learn how the equipment is used properly and how to maintain it.

• Is able to treat the severely injured and sick. In today’s environment, 70% of what firefighters due on the job is related to the medical field – whether it is a heart attack, shortness of breath, diabetic emergency, etc.

• Is able to accomplish duties in tight time frames. Many times at the fire scene and at the firehouse, duties must be completed in a short time frame. Firefighters must be able to handle deadlines and accomplish the task successfully.

• Does high quality work and makes suggestions to improve how things are done. Firefighters make suggestions so that they can improve the nature of their work and be able to accomplish tasks on the emergency scene in a well organized manner to provide the best service possible to the public.

• Realizes that safety is a top priority. Firefighters realize that many times they must put themselves in harm’s way to save another person. On the fireground, firefighters are always keeping keen attention and detail to the safety of themselves, other firefighters on the scene, and any civilians.

• Has the sincere desire to serve the community and help people. This is what firefighting is about. You are in a job to serve other people. People whose houses are on fire, or have been in an accident or have a medical emergency, and/or catastrophic situations – you must be the type of person who has a sincere desire to step up to the plate and be willing to put your life on the line to serve people you don’t even know.

• Willing to accept people as they are without regard to race, creed, or gender. Firefighters treat people equally. They must treat those living in a $20,000 home the same as those living in a $400,000 home. It doesn’t matter what color, religion or sex someone is – firefighters look at the person as a person. They don’t stereotype people and truly believe that all people are created equal.

• Can render emergency care to anyone regardless of who they are, where they are and what their beliefs are. Firefighters cannot be biased towards anyone; they show everyone the same respect – whether an individual is on welfare or is a millionaire. They do not care what the religious or social views are of those they serve.

• Understands that there are cultural differences and does not stereotype individuals. Firefighters know that there are many different cultures in our country. They cannot stereotype cultures – whether good or bad – they treat everyone fairly.

• Able to treat all people with dignity and respect. Again, firefighters do not care what your social, religious, and/or economic values are – they treat everyone with the same respect.

• Willingness to continue learning new things. Firefighters are always in continuing education. They need to find out what the newest medical procedures are or the latest innovations on the fire scene.

Fireprep.com has over 250 pages of FREE information and career articles to help you reach your goal of becoming a firefighter.

Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 32,000 subscribers.

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Default Hard breaks

LOOK!

If you listen to the first post of this thread... YOU WILL NOT DO WELL. Talk to anyone who took the NFSI and they'll tell you that the personality profile CHANGES FROM DEPARTMENT TO DEPARTMENT. What will bomb you on MI Wi's test will ace the Cali test. BE careful of who you listen to on the internet.

Default Dangerous thread

First off many are right that you shouldn't mention specifics from a test in any sort of public forum. Also having taken PS many times in the past and having had several friends take it, they have changed the personality section several times, one reason is public discussion about the testing process such as this. Not getting into any specifics they have attempted to take out the guess work and Strongly one way or another approach to taking the test. I have had people fail going either way. They have tried to change the personality section to be more accurate and true to today, meaning all across the board of answers will get you a good score. They will even mention before taking the test to answer honestly and not go strongly one way or the other everytime. However most firefighters I know including myself have very strong personalities and if you don't you will have a harder time surviving some houses. But that is also only out here in WA and it can be different in other areas. To be honest if your not passing the test its probably not because of the personality portion, they have tried to minimize that portion. Your true personality will come out much much more in the interviews where it counts.
    CL

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    To counter your experience Japhro, I recently took this test, did strongly a/d for every question and got a 95.xx, so I would be careful throwing advice out there...you may of just made a few mistakes on other questions, or answered the questions incorrectly period (i.e. s/a when it should have been in a disagree category)....
    That could be too, I guess. I've only taken the NFSI one time. To make it simple, answer how you feel. Next time, that is what I will be doing. Using a broader scale instead of limiting myself to 2 choices.

Quote Originally Posted by coachleather View Post
    To be honest if your not passing the test its probably not because of the personality portion, they have tried to minimize that portion. Your true personality will come out much much more in the interviews where it counts.
    Very true. My last PST test I took was for KC Medic 1 and I only scored mediocre 85%. Surpirsingly, as I have scored much higher in the past, that got to the next phase. But because I scored well in the next four steps including the two interviews, where the most points are scored I shot up to third on the list. Unfortunately they only hired two last year, granted if I would of done a better job on the written I would probably have a position right now, they were going to hire six but the County axed 'em to two. So although I think it's important to do well on the written everyone knows that typically the oral comprises most of your score and they truley can get a sense if you have a compatible personality with the agency you are applying to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BearTech View Post
    asonger is on the right track. I too got 100% but used strongly a couple of times... It appears that the matching up of pair of questions works. Of course we'll see how long this thread stays up, as we are "breaking the law" by discussing this test. Remember the Nondisclosure . Far more infuriating is the "Video human relations test" given by Bates and others. I have 9 years experience in a firehouse, working with many different crews, many of whom had beliefs and ideas 180 degrees from mine. But I got along great with all of them, yet somehow their "test" scores me at 85% every time. I believe that this one was validated using Olympia WA and Long Beach CA. So of course these situations must apply to every department, right?. I miss the days when tests only contained questions that had provable answers, but then again I'm a sucker for reality. ;-)

I just took one of those tests a couple of weeks ago on video. I dont know how I did yet. It all seemed common sense but I will probably be frustrated later. What I am wondering Is if you can score 100 on public safety. Was 85% compareable with others. Where are you compared to others. Do you have any idea? It was frustrating to have so many personality questions but I was thinking It might weed out some of these bookworms that cant hack it in real life but seem to get the job because they can score high. I guess Ill know more when I get my results

Default Ps

You can definitely score 100% on PS, I had a 99.7 when I got hired and several friends of mine who have since been hired got high 99's and one got 100%, furthermore emphasizing the need for an updated test. Honestly don't get hung up on the written too much. Obviously you need a decent score to get an interview but once you get that interview unless it is a large dept. like Seattle, Portland, Etc... the written score is not looked at much after that initial period to get you into the interview. Then it is all on you and how you present yourself and your experiences, etc...Everything you have already heard. Ashncole have you been working as a volunteer FF, or EMT? If your in WA state you pretty much need your EMT-B to get hired anywhere. Also what about community service and a diverse resume. You need it all to get noticed. Good luck.
    CL

Forum Member

Default experience

Quote Originally Posted by coachleather View Post
    You can definitely score 100% on PS, I had a 99.7 when I got hired and several friends of mine who have since been hired got high 99's and one got 100%, furthermore emphasizing the need for an updated test. Honestly don't get hung up on the written too much. Obviously you need a decent score to get an interview but once you get that interview unless it is a large dept. like Seattle, Portland, Etc... the written score is not looked at much after that initial period to get you into the interview. Then it is all on you and how you present yourself and your experiences, etc...Everything you have already heard. Ashncole have you been working as a volunteer FF, or EMT? If your in WA state you pretty much need your EMT-B to get hired anywhere. Also what about community service and a diverse resume. You need it all to get noticed. Good luck.
    I am volunteering and I do have EMT-B I also have ffI/II haz-mat ops driver operator and others. all Ifsac and NREMT Im not from Washington but Idaho. I typically Interview well for most jobs but havent seen how I do on ff interviews. I also worded my last comment wrong. It was more in referance to Beartech. He scored 100 on ps test and 85 on a video test. So I am wondering If he scored 100 on ps If 85 was pretty high on the eanking for a video test? I just need more practice on my written and I can go from there to see where intervies start taking me.

MembersZone Subscriber

The one and only way to answer these types of questions is with how you honestly feel. I took several tests with different departments and answered the personality question the way that I thought they would want me to and did horribly. On the FDNY test, which they mail you the corrected copy of your answer sheet, I did not miss one question until I got to the personality ones. The last test I took I did just what the study guide said and answered the questions the way I personally felt and got a 100% on that section. By psychologist would classify me as a classic introvert, in the fact that I am self motivating and not the life of any given party, the exact opposite of what ASONGER is telling you to do. Several of the questions were blatantly questions to indicate whether a person is an introvert and extravert. Ie. “Would you rather spend time with your friends or alone reading” find of stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind. Most tests are written by professionals, people who have spend a considerable amount of their life studying personalities and their success in the work place. Two- you have NO idea what they are trying to measure on these test. I spend a considerable amount of time in college taking psyh classes, including classes on personality and personality assessments, if you didn’t write the test or contract with the company that write the test you will have no idea what they are exactly looking for.

Lastly, if you are willing to put the success of your testing on the advice of people on an internet forum that will admit they have not been hired you probably need to find a job as a janitor…

Thread Information