Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: web hosting

Forum Member

Default web hosting

We are a small department and are interested in having a web site. Are there any known good free web hosting services out there?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by loosegoose View Post
    good free web hosting services
    IMHO, there are no web hosting services that are both "good" and "free". "Free" hosting usually means some sort of ad banners or other similar distractions and a generally cheezy looking site. If you are interested in having a decent, professional looking web site, you need to consider inexpensive paid hosting.

That being said, many domain registrars also provide value added services and low priced basic hosting packages (under $20/month).

One such registrar I've used and been quite happy with is domaindiscover.com but I certainly encourage you to shop around.

Another option is to check around locally. Are there any ISPs or web providers in your local area? One of them might be willing to give you a reduced rate or even donate basic hosting services.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Default Hosting

Your best bet for both price and service (value) would have to be hostgator.com. I would highly recommend them. PM me and I can assist you further on the matter.
    Jason
    Paid Professional Firefighter/ EMT
    Department Computer Administrator
    City of Beacon, NY Fire Department (IAFF Local 3490)

http://www.BeaconFD.org (Department's Website)
    http://www.BeaconCareerFirefighters.o rg (Job's Union Site)

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed on the above comments that free and good do not go together.

I have been with Total Choice Hosting (www.totalchoicehosting.com) for almost five years and remain very pleased with their product. Starter hosting there is around $4/month (cheap!) and has huge amounts of storage that no department site is likely to use up unless they have unreasonably huge piles of pictures and video clips to put up.

Domain names are an additional expense, a ".com" runs $35/year, but most providers can do it for you bundled with their hosting package and give you a discount, expecially if you purchase the domain for a long time span.

So $4/month for hosting + $35/year ($2.90/month) for the domain comes out to about $7/month. Not a huge expense. However, if that really is too much, contact your local ISP and see if they are willing to donate hosting service to the department.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recommend HostPC.com. They have good prices and great uptime. The support answers tickets very quick too.

Forum Member

Try www.host4twobucks.com. The name says it all. I even get ten email accounts included. Any problems I have ever had they are right on top of.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Default theFireWiki.org

theFireWiki.org allows for free fire department websites. The only thing you may need to do is purchase a web address (really cheap anymore) if you want a direct link to the page. PM me if you have any problems.

Forum Member

We have our site www.gvfpd.com hosted by Microsoft. Go to officelive.com and you can register your domain name and they host your site and 5 e-mail addresses for free. You are kind of limited by their templates on what you can create for a page, but it is pretty easy to get a page up and running and it is free.

Default WWW.12qa.com

I can create a website in about 5 minutes. The cost is about $100.00 -per year. if you upgrade to about 250.00 you can create ulimited websites. this is a real plus. you can do personal websites. Buisness websites it is amazing I created my whole website www.12qa.com. This is websites within websites and it cost me $250. per year

Well, watch out on that Office Live thing. My friend hosted a site there, and they charged him for stuff eventually, because they do require a credit card.

I've never had to create a corporate style website, but I host the websites I make from scratch on freewebs.com. There's a small little ad on the top. I wouldn't suggest a free website if you need to host a lot of videos, pictures, and pages.

This website I made for a Facebook group I have, called "Future Law Enforcement Officers". It took about 1.5 hours to make, and the top banner probably took the most time. http://freewebs.com/futureleos/fleo.htm

If any one involved with your department has access to the Macromedia family of software, such as Dreamweaver, you could make a great website.

And, for free, and quality navigation menus, like the one on my page above, you can visit: http://www.opencube.com/download.html

I'm using the Web Effects (+Infinite Menus) which was suggested by a pro webmaster I know.
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/382...adudsiguk7.gif
    PM me if you want a signature. All you need is a good rep on the forums.

Forum Member

1and1 hosting has been great and reliable. I currently have a website that I truly haven't updated in ages at www.sixboxfiremafia.com.

www.1and1.com

Volunteer FF/1R

Default dead thread?

I know this is a bit older of a thread, but...

I use www.lunarpages.com for our web server for our department website. We have an insane amount of server space (350gb!), and there is a ton of bandwidth as well. The server has never been down in the 7 months that we've been with them, so I'm pretty impressed with the service quality.

Here's our website for reference:

http://www.ashleyfire.org

Forum Member

If your paying more than $50 a year for web hosting than your paying too much. Fire department websites really do not need a lot of bandwith or hosting space. I personally use www.dynadot.com and they're great.

Default Hosting

I disagree that if you are paying over $50, you are paying too much. Also consider the "Service Based" hosting companies. These companies are usually local and charge between $100 - $250 a year for a hosting account. The benefit?

Service! Some departments do not have the expertise to manage their own site and hosting account. With a service based hosting company, all you have to do is tell them what you need (e-mail, redirect sub-domain, ect.), they will take care of the rest. Server is down or something is wrong? Call them and let them know and they will fix the problem and stay on the line with tech support if need be. A very good service to consider if it meets your needs.
    Jason
    Paid Professional Firefighter/ EMT
    Department Computer Administrator
    City of Beacon, NY Fire Department (IAFF Local 3490)

http://www.BeaconFD.org (Department's Website)
    http://www.BeaconCareerFirefighters.o rg (Job's Union Site)

Thread Information