Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Points Systems

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Points Systems

Looking for some ideas on starting a points systems for calls, training, station duties, fund raiser, ect. Also how much do you pay per point?

I would award more points to duties than to going to calls. Everyone wants to go to calls the true members show up to clean, fund raise, and train.

May want to try a search. I remember talking about point systems before on here......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

1 point per hour of training, calls, department regular meetings, committee meetings, fund raisers, clean ups, special project meetings, cadet/junior training meeting, officer meetings, special meetings, and extra work details.

Each point is equal to $1.00. This money that is accrued is payable on December 15th of each year. Records are kept for each activity and if you want credited for the attendance other than calls, you are responsible for signing the log book.

Members have the option of returning the money to the department if they so choose or they can donate it to whomever or whatever if they do not want the extra cash.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a point system, although I don't know if they still use it. We never got paid though. I thought that was the idea of volunteer.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Each year, every fire department in the state of Louisiana gets a check from the insurance companies for 2% of the insurance premuims paid in thier district during the previous year. We use that money for our points system. Up until last year, that check as in the $25-28K area. Last year, it was about $42K due to some recent high value residental construction.

We take that check, divide it by the total number of points accumulated during the year, and that is the value of a point. Last year it was $4.22 per point.

Points assigned as such:
    EMS call, MVA, fire alarm, smoke investigation, false, etc ... 1 Point
    Fire other than structure .............................. ... 2
    Structure Fire .............................. .................. 3
    Scheduled weekly training night ........................ 2
    Local outside training .............................. ........ 2
    Training outside of the area ................ 3 (per day)

Points can also be awarded at officers discrestion for work details or unscheduled training.

Forum Member

My department doesn't have a points system. Our township trustee pays all of us $6 for every business meeting attended, $7 for every call made, and $8 for all trainings and special meetings (IVFA, mutual aid, etc...). Also, officers are paid another $50 I believe. We keep a sheet in the radio room and everyone is to check off their name when they show up for a meeting or training. The member running the base is responsible for checking names of the members on the call (on apparatus, in POV, or on station).

Show up to a call - get a point. Show up to a meeting/drill/training - get a point. Help out with fundraising, cleanups, etc. you get a point.

Make enough points, you get to stay a member. No pay.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Show up to a call - get a point. Show up to a meeting/drill/training - get a point. Help out with fundraising, cleanups, etc. you get a point.

Make enough points, you get to stay a member. No pay.
    What a wonderfull system. Especially the no pay for a volunteer dept. Who knew
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Ya know, It is not being paid no matter how you would like to keep bringing this point across. It is an incentive-awards program. Do you receive a monetary amount. Yes you do. Are you being paid, a stipend, for what it matters, it is well less than the national standard of minimum wage. So no, technically we are not paid.

Again, the point being, the member can decide what to do with the amount. Around here I can not think of a member who bust every call, meeting, detail, and such to become paid a point(Buck).

The fire chief here was at a time paid a dollar a day by the village, and this was paid at the end of the year. Paid chief or volunteer chief, you decide.

I have been around since 1972 and ya know, it bothers me that some would think that I am not a volunteer if I were to choose to keep my stipend, seeing how the system went into effect last year.

The other hours that I log in administrative work and equipment checks, and creating new logs, initiating training standards, being here when the vehicles are serviced or taking them to service appointments. Talking with recruits, going to council meetings, going to township meetings, meeting with members on one to one basis, all these things that are not point totaled are not volunteer right.

Default Pay for Volunteers

As Fire Commissioner I was actually surprised to hear from our Volunteers that they are not Volunteers for the money. There was talk of giving them a pay raise and said that wasn't nessesary. How nice was that. I know that when I was a Volunteer wayyyyy back I would have paid them for the training and experience.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Our points system is set by the counties LOSAP system. It's similar to Bone's.

1 point per call, drill, hour of collateral duty, meeting ect. Set points for MFRI training classes, 20 pts per year for being an officer.

You need 60 points total in 4 categories to get a years credit and maintain your membership status. There are limits on the number of points you can get in each category.

No pay, but after 25 years you can collect a small retirement.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I believe incentives/pay/whatever for volunteering has always been around in various forms.

I may be misremembering, but weren't the exempt associations originally an incentive for volunteer membership? I thought even back in the day members of the associations were "exempt" from some taxes or fees or something. Just something I read at the Hall of Flame.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information