MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone else looking at lay off's?

So for the 3rd year out of the 5 I've been career the town/Chief is threating lay off's. My town has a $1.4 Million deficit. We are looking at a prop 2 1/2 override to erase the deficit but it's not looking very promising. If the 2 1/2 does not pass we would lay off 3 FF/EMT's out of the 10 person union. If it does go through the town would lose 24hr coverage, and our recently aquired ILS license for our ambulances. If for some reason the prop 2 1/2 does pass(not likely) they are already planning on going for another override next year and the next few years after. To top it off 2 of the 3 FF's to be laid off have pregnant wife due in sept(one with twins!). Is anyone else in the same situation we are in?

Forum Member

Fitchburg FD has two firefighters in the Academy right now that will be laid off July 1st.

Canton FD just put 2 firefighters through the Academy. they are in the same situation.

I consider us fortunate. I went to the finance commitee meeting this morning, and the Chief's proposed budget was discussed in 15 minutes and approved by a 3-1 margin.

The budget still has to go before the City Council for final approval... keeping the fingers crossed!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Fitchburg FD has two firefighters in the Academy right now that will be laid off July 1st.

Canton FD just put 2 firefighters through the Academy. they are in the same situation.

I consider us fortunate. I went to the finance commitee meeting this morning, and the Chief's proposed budget was discussed in 15 minutes and approved by a 3-1 margin.

The budget still has to go before the City Council for final approval... keeping the fingers crossed!
    Are you hiring anytime soon? You are civil service right? I though my job was secure so i didn't take the civil service last year, stupid me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15 View Post
    Are you hiring anytime soon? You are civil service right? I though my job was secure so i didn't take the civil service last year, stupid me.
    We are in civil service, and the list is already out. We have 1 new firefighter starting in mid June and will be in the July 7th MFA class. There may be more openings in the next year due to retirements. We aren't adding new firefighters, just maintaining the authorized Department strength.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Layoffs????? Take a look at Florida's new tax reform, it could possibly be the worst ever, My old Dept Chief said he could have to lay off 30-80 FF's. Florida departments could lose 1/3 of thair budget. The politicians say it wont affect Public safety????
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Temporarily Inactive

Heck no!! We now do third party billing for ems. We are now in the process adding appox. 9-10 firefighters. We currently have 60 members i believe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just hired by Los Alamos County Fire in New mexico and we are not laying off anyone. In fact they want to hire another 30 FF's in Oct. They want to also hire 200 in the next 4 yrs.

MembersZone Subscriber

With a few notable exceptions, I see more of a hiring freeze in the not so distant future than lay offs. Instead of hiring new people to fill positions, they will just allow current positions to retire.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by wakehead View Post
    Layoffs????? Take a look at Florida's new tax reform, it could possibly be the worst ever, My old Dept Chief said he could have to lay off 30-80 FF's. Florida departments could lose 1/3 of thair budget. The politicians say it wont affect Public safety????
    Okeechobee county might lose there city FD and the men there along with losing maybe 20 people from the county.

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Good Luck with that Brother! Hopefully this will only freeze hiring and budjets!You guys already do more with less out there!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

We have been threatened with layoffs/station closure every year for the last 3-4 years. We did have one layoff, but we were able to get him back after a few months. Our city is in a so-called "budgetary shortfall" because of, IMO, very incompetent management. We have managed to avoid the station closure, mainly due to city commissioners supporting us, but vacant positions are not being filled and it's only a matter of time before we will not be able to man all our stations. A lot of uncertainty about the future here.

MembersZone Subscriber

If Florida'stax reform bill passes the state is gonna have a serious surplus of FF's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedicsully View Post
    Okeechobee county might lose there city FD and the men there along with losing maybe 20 people from the county.
    Why don't you guys just send Spider up to Tallahassee.

Forum Member

Yeah, this whole Florida thing is not looking good for us. I don't know of a single dept in the state that hasnt raised the issue with its employees of layoffs. And I dont mean 1 or 2 people. Some of the biggest depts in the state are looking at cutting up to 200 people. And its not just us, all of the county run EMS depts and every police dept and sheriff's office is going to start cutting people also. Nobody's getting jobs in this state for a while, and those that just got one are probably going to lose it due to our wonderful state's leglislature.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

Forum Member

Detroit is talking about permanently closing 6 to 7 more fire companies and laying off from 100 to 120 firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireLt1951 View Post
    Detroit is talking about permanently closing 6 to 7 more fire companies and laying off from 100 to 120 firefighters.

Is your son one of those who may be laid off?

I wonder how many of Kwame's cronies are keeping their jobs...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do so many states feel the need to cut funds to the FD. I know some cities in Ohio were making cutbacks a couple years ago. Anyway, they make these cuts and then have the nerve to say that it won't affect public safety. How can it not, especially with station closings. You are increasing a coverage area for other stations thus adding to the time it takes to get on scene. It doesn't make sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    Why do so many states feel the need to cut funds to the FD. I know some cities in Ohio were making cutbacks a couple years ago. Anyway, they make these cuts and then have the nerve to say that it won't affect public safety. How can it not, especially with station closings. You are increasing a coverage area for other stations thus adding to the time it takes to get on scene. It doesn't make sense.
    It's actually very simple... They lie.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course they do, their politicians.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Is your son one of those who may be laid off?

I wonder how many of Kwame's cronies are keeping their jobs...
    No, but if they decide later to layoff more he could be on the hit list. He has 7 years in now and would be about 50-60 away after this round of layoffs.

All of them are keeping their jobs. After the last layoff they actually changed all the administrators titles and gave them a raise.

Forum Member

Default Florida Layoffs

Just relocated from Fla back to NJ for this exact reason, was career in NJ, then moved to Fla and got hired. As soon as this became a real situation I moved back to NJ, thankfully got hired again with my old dept. My Florida dept. was a small one, 3 stations and about 60 guys. With the new tax reform they are looking to possibly close one station and lay off about 20. Basically everyone who was hired in the last 2-3 years will be layed off. The whole situation sucks. The sheriffs dept. is looking to lay off about 200+ and the county run EMS is looking at about 85. Not good, not good at all. Stay safe.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFireJT View Post
    Yeah, this whole Florida thing is not looking good for us. I don't know of a single dept in the state that hasnt raised the issue with its employees of layoffs. And I dont mean 1 or 2 people. Some of the biggest depts in the state are looking at cutting up to 200 people. And its not just us, all of the county run EMS depts and every police dept and sheriff's office is going to start cutting people also. Nobody's getting jobs in this state for a while, and those that just got one are probably going to lose it due to our wonderful state's leglislature.
    The dept I work for is getting ready to hire 1 full-time and 16 part-time positions, hopefully by the end of this week. Oct 1 we will hire approx. 18 more F/F. We are unique in that our budget is not based on property value, it's based on a flat fee for everyone. If you have a 5 million dollar house or a $5,000.00 mobile home you pay $75.00 a year. We had two guys from the Miami area come up and test this past weekend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

We are in a hiring boom, at least 25 for this next academy and at least 20 a year for the next 5 years. The problem is we cant find enough to fill a class. Its like that all over south east louisiana.
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jack61sgfd View Post
    We are in a hiring boom, at least 25 for this next academy and at least 20 a year for the next 5 years. The problem is we cant find enough to fill a class. Its like that all over south east louisiana.

Are you with Baton Rouge FD? When are the going to be hiring again?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a captain with st george, I know the city should be hiring soon, like I said we are looking for our next class now. We be hiring around 30 this year. Send me a message if you want more info.
    Shut the nozzle stupid, thats' smoke not fire!

Thread Information