Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Project Ideas

Forum Member

Default Project Ideas

I working on a project for a computer aided design class at school. I need help find ideas.
    I need to design 3 more things that would help people that have problems with their hands (i.e. arthritis, finger amputations).
    I have already designed a glove for a cup similar to a can koozie but only have 3 holes on side of it so people who have a hard time gripping cups can slide their fingers through and they have a better grip and will not drop it. I have also designed a rubber cylider that has a hole down the center of it that allows you to stick a toothbrush handle through it or a comb so it's easier to grip.
    I'm having trouble coming up with the remaining 3 ideas. My teacher told me to think about firefighting. I can't really think of anything.
    So, what do you guys want to see that would help people that have problems using their hands? I know obviously people that have problems with their hands aren't very useful around a fire scene.
    It doesn't have to be with firefighting, it can be anything. Anything that will help people perform everyday tasks like preparing food and brushing their teeth.

Thanks in advance for you help. It is really appreciated.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 05-11-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Think ergonomics....

a better way to lift a stretcher or hold a hose line....

fitness and weight lifting...

driving...

yardwork and housekeeping...

I do a lot of fishing. How about a fishing pole with a hand grip similar to that of a hunting rifle. Something that would emulate the shape where the hand holds the stock with the fingers wrapped around it to hold better. The reel would mount low so that the switch for the spool release would be in the same general area as a hammer on a gun. My thought is not quite as straight as the standard pistol grip rods. Possibly add a velcro strip to hold the rod in place if a person were to loosen their grip.
    Maybe you could design a "better pair of scissors." Have a thicker handle on them, with a softer loop to go around the fingers. Maybe like a pair of pliers with a softer foam grip and finger loops.
    Hope this helps....

Forum Member

Thanks for the help. I'll try the fishing pole and scissors, but I won't be able to do the pliers because they're too close to the scissor design. I'll do EMT scissors. Thinking about making the handles bigger and easier to grab as well as make them a little bit longer. The fishing pole will be a little tough because I'm still a novice. I havn't realyl designed anything with that many parts but I'll give it a try. I will share the final outcome of it when I have it completed.

I appreciate your input. Thanks alot.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

My suggestion on the fishing pole would be to go to a toy store and buy a plastic gun, then saw off the grip part. take a standard cheap casting rod, and try to merge the two at or near the point of the reel mounts. It might take a little work to make the image on a computer design program. The tricky part would be getting an ergonomic angle for the wrist on the combo once it is merged together. The reason this idea intrigues me is because after a full day of casting and reeling, my fingers begin to cramp. Usually my pinky and ring finger that wrap around the standard fishing poles. I build up the shaft of the rods with medical tape and tennis racket grip tape to make it bearable. I always thought a different angle on the wrist would take pressure off my fingers. Good luck! I hope you build and sell a million of them!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    My suggestion on the fishing pole would be to go to a toy store and buy a plastic gun, then saw off the grip part. take a standard cheap casting rod, and try to merge the two at or near the point of the reel mounts. It might take a little work to make the image on a computer design program. The tricky part would be getting an ergonomic angle for the wrist on the combo once it is merged together. The reason this idea intrigues me is because after a full day of casting and reeling, my fingers begin to cramp. Usually my pinky and ring finger that wrap around the standard fishing poles. I build up the shaft of the rods with medical tape and tennis racket grip tape to make it bearable. I always thought a different angle on the wrist would take pressure off my fingers. Good luck! I hope you build and sell a million of them!
    Sadly, we're not going to actually build them. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a patent on it though and attempt to sell the idea.

My dad tried to paint a better picture for me.
    Our understanding is that you would like to see something like a stock for easier gripping?
    Some people cast with both hands. So how about add an adjustable handle similar to that on a tommy gun, but this handle can be removed or moved up or down the rod and to the left or right for comfort?
    Firefighter/EMT

How about a spanner hand......?

lol
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

how about a hose clamp type deal that goes around your waist or even better yet fits onto your truckmans or gut belt, a shoreline catcher would be nice, shinplates that can attatch to your boots on the inside, buddy breathe extention hose, hydraulic tool "holser", more comfy earpieces for minitors....they pretty much suck right now
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoole17 View Post
    hydraulic tool "holser"
    Holster? Like a gun holster?

Don't know if I like that idea all to well. The triggers on the hydraulic tools can be pushed easily. Now add walking with the 35 pound plus tool that if you make a wrong move (jerk yourself back and forth or walking), your leg is coming off. Plus you have to worry about your hydraulic fluid lines as you walk around. That's a trip hazard.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

The fishing rod has a sketch done. I'll draw it next week. I only have until Wednesday to do the rest of the drawings.
    Firefighter/EMT

I am kind of amazed that you decided to run with the fishing rod idea. Good luck on the design process. The professional angler, Clay Dyer, always comes to mind when talking about specialized fishing equipment. This fellow fishes with normal equipment although he was born without legs, and only part of an arm. You might do a search on the internet for him, and might get more ideas for designs.

Forum Member

I am kind of amazed that you decided to run with the fishing rod idea. Good luck on the design process. The professional angler, Clay Dyer, always comes to mind when talking about specialized fishing equipment. This fellow fishes with normal equipment although he was born without legs, and only part of an arm. You might do a search on the internet for him, and might get more ideas for designs.
    Yeah. I'm not really advanced at using the program for drawing, but I decided to try it. It'll probably be the most comprehensive drawing I've done yet. It'll take a few days to do it, but I can do it. My teacher told me that the way my other drawings look, I should be able to do this. The only thing that will take longest is the stock handle. I'm not going to worry about putting a reel on it because for it to be a correct drawing, I'd have to do a detailed sketch and drawing of the reel (one full, and one cut inhalf to show the inside components) as well as the pole and handle. I may change a few things around for the sake of time because I only have 2 weeks of this class left until next year.
    Firefighter/EMT

If I had known that the drawing had to be that detailed, I would have suggested making two stainless steel loops that one could attach dental floss to. This way a person could floss their teeth without wrapping the dental floss around their fingers..

Forum Member

Unhappy

If I had known that the drawing had to be that detailed, I would have suggested making two stainless steel loops that one could attach dental floss to. This way a person could floss their teeth without wrapping the dental floss around their fingers..
    Yeah. It's got to be fairly detailed. Good ideas though. As for the floss... consider it done. I'll do that tomorow. I will not be able to get the fishing pole doen though. I just returned from a Leadership Seminar and I have 2 days of catch up work at school this week. Sorry for the let-down though.
    Firefighter/EMT

No let down here. I just hope everything goes well for you. I'm not the one being graded!! If at anytime you need more ideas, I'm sure that the people on this forum will be full of suggestions..

Forum Member

No let down here. I just hope everything goes well for you. I'm not the one being graded!! If at anytime you need more ideas, I'm sure that the people on this forum will be full of suggestions..
    Yeah... thanks for your help.
    Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information