Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

giweff,

Sorry buddy, I got side tracked lol.

Valley Park eh? I've probably run calls with you lol. Im at Kirkwood, I was at 2C for the last 4 years, just moved to 1B. Where are you at?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15 View Post
    My apologies to the origional poster ,almsfan21, me and a few others have hijacked this thread and are having our own discission lol. But hey, all in good fun lol!

Funny you should mention Station 5. I worked for 3 years in HS at the old car wash next to Food 4 Less. E5 would go by about 5 times a day and one day I thouhgt "man, that would be a great job. Yeah, I think that's what I want to do" lol. I'm totally serious, I was like 16, I told my parents I wanted to be a FF. It also was 1991, and Backdraft came out at the theaters.....sounds super corny lol....but that movie and seeeing E5 everyday, man I was sold! When I was a kid living on Jefferson, I used to ride my bike up to Pronto at 26th / Maiden Lane right by #2, and I'd spend the whole summer at Cunningham Park at the pool lol.

Ahh......where does the time go lol.

Sorry for taking a trip back in time, I just rarely run into anyone (in person or the net) that knows anything about the Big J. It's a world away from up here, over 300 miles! I'm almost closer to Chicago!

I'd stop and say hey to Aaron, but man HS was 15 years ago, we wouldn't recognize each other lol. Not close friends or anything, I just saw the name on your "Organizational Chart".

You got a guy there T. Dewitt from Lamar? I know he was at Carthage for a while.

Which house are you working at? Been on JFD a long time?
    It's easy to get sidetracked, isn't it. I'll ditto the apologies to almsfan, as well. I'm sure he's got some good info about some potential workplaces, though.

Yeah, we've got Dewitt. We've tested for promotion together a couple of times now. I guess he came by way of Warrensburg, then Carthage, but he's at a good department now.

I've been on about 3 1/2 years now. For the moment I'm working downtown (station 1). Hopefully tomorrow I find out my new assignment. We just got done with captains testing and some of us are getting reassigned to positions as "swing captain" (or "captain wannabe" as the line guys call it) which basically is a driver that's qualified to work for a captain when there's one off for vacation, sick leave, holiday, etc. I've pretty well made the rounds since I left station 2, after a year and a half there.

I work with Aaron tomorrow, if I get a chance I'll see if maybe he remembers you or even if he'll log in and say hey or something.

Forum Member

I grew up in north county for a while florrissant area. then i moved to ofallon. I volunteered in Lake St louis before I got on here. st louis was great just not to many chances to get on a dept. while you are in town feel free to stop in any station and say hi. I will be downtown station 1 the 2nd and the 5th. there should be a warm pot of coffee waiting. Kirkwood should be a pretty nice dept to work for. the pay down there has to be alot better but then again cost of living is alot higher also. by the way we still have ladder one. every now and then we get a chance to put her in service. that thing is awesome to ride on a nice day but horrible on a cold one. well gotta go stay safe.

Sure tell him I said hello, names Steve Knapp. I had an older brother named Brian. I think Aaron was a grade between us, like I said I remember playing ball with him for years.

Yeah I worked with Todd at Warrensburg. Man it's a small FF world lol. He was FT and I was PT in school. Good guy. He talked back then about testing and wanting to work for the Big J. Tell him I said hey as well. Would have been........1997ish.....he might be fuzzy. Tell him he and I worked with Reon alot lol, I also worked at "DeathGuard" lol. I went from WFD to Clayton FD for a year, then KWD.

Brother Dod you aren;t kidding about North County (hard to get in the door)! The whole area is that way. I was a nobody from nowhere when I came here. You know what helped me? Get this. I worked PT at Christian EMS (North County) and started playing hockey with some of those guys, alot of them off duty FF's. Long story short, it got my face around, I tested at Clayton and beat out 34 medics for a job lol. Got sent to the academy....etc. Nice. Without the medic though, I'd be selling DVD's at Target lol. Or back at the Car Wash! My good buddy is a Capt. at Spanish Lake, the other end of the world from Kirkwood lol. The pay is pretty good, but your right the cost of living is higher. I've lived everywhere from O'fallon to Ballwin to now St. Charles City (great dept btw). My shoebox house in St. Charles would fit in my parents garage in Joplin!

Capt. "wabbabe" lol. We call em "nutriders" here. I've been here 8 years in June, I've filled in as Acting driver a ton, and Act Capt a dozen times. Both are "easy" until something happens lol. Just kidding. It's hard to go from working the crap wagon (ambo) the first 2 shifts, the 3rd they go "hey you are the driver or captain today lol". It's apples and oranges. It would be so nice to work at an FD w/o wagons......but....tis the future lol....so they say.

Good talkin with you guys, it's always great to meet new brothers and "network". Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well man, Aaron does remember you and your brother. He said to say "hey" next time I got on. I did learn some "small world" info while we were BSing (when we got a chance to BS, 4 fires yesterday ). Your dad was my adviser when I was in the pre-engineering program at MSSU. I think I had him for a couple classes at one time.

I'll ditto your last remark, it is nice to have some actual conversation and networking on here. It's a shame there's not more activity on the Missouri board like this.

You won't be going to 4 fires when you are at the ER on that Crap Wagon in a few years!!!!! Just kidding. Woodys Pizza didn't burn did it! Where will I eat? Or Mays City! Gots ta get my Liquor!

My Dad at MSSU.....man that one is a new one on me lol. There might be someone else out there with that name. My Dad is an exec with a certain public utlity to go unnamed lol. I don;t know of him ever being at Southern.....hmm....it's possible. He's an accountant / CFO type.....not really into Engineering. However, I "act" an an "Engineer" when one is on vacation at the firehouse lol.

It is fairly quite here, man the IL one is always full. Flatlanders.

Dod is from up here, Catch where do you hail from?

MembersZone Subscriber

You won't be going to 4 fires when you are at the ER on that Crap Wagon in a few years!!!!! Just kidding. Woodys Pizza didn't burn did it! Where will I eat? Or Mays City! Gots ta get my Liquor!

My Dad at MSSU.....man that one is a new one on me lol. There might be someone else out there with that name. My Dad is an exec with a certain public utlity to go unnamed lol. I don;t know of him ever being at Southern.....hmm....it's possible. He's an accountant / CFO type.....not really into Engineering. However, I "act" an an "Engineer" when one is on vacation at the firehouse lol.

It is fairly quite here, man the IL one is always full. Flatlanders.

Dod is from up here, Catch where do you hail from?
    My bad, Aaron must have gotten him mixed up with another man of the same last name. LOL That's about how it works, isn't it. I mentioned my old adviser's name was Knapp and he thought it was your dad. Of course, he's Irish, so he was probalby half drunk at the time.

Yeah, I wouldn't mention a public utility's name either. They're still mud after that little storm in January.

I'm born and raised in the thriving metropolis of Purdy. Still living there and driving to Joplin every third day. I tried to con DODGood into moving down here and joining our vollie department, but apparently his fiance is too city to move to where the hoot owls breed the chickens.

Forum Member

Yeah the county is hard to get on for sure. I Used to hang out around ladues fire dept a little when i was a youngster. My dad delivers mail in ladue so he hangs out at there station sometimes. Yeah my brother always told me alot of the guys he played hockey with were firefighters. My hold up was i didnt want to go through another academy and have to get my medic license. I just wanted to work. You worked for christian? atleast you didnt work at abbott. Well I hate to say it but i will not be at station 1 anymore. i got moved to 3 as a swing ff. now you just need to go to creve couer. They are still the top payed there correct? You live in st Charles? I still have family all around there. They keep trying to get me to come back. You ever go to trailhead down there?

Yeah I live right off First Capitol by Lindenwood. Trailhead is my third home lol. I love that place.

I ran a Metro Bus accident in Ladue last week, we see those guys once in a while. That is a pretty good place to work, their pay jumped up alot a few years back.

Purdy huh 22? Never been thru there. That drive isn't too bad is it. You guys like the 1 on 2 off or would you rather do the XOXOXOOOO we do up here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I live right off First Capitol by Lindenwood. Trailhead is my third home lol. I love that place.

I ran a Metro Bus accident in Ladue last week, we see those guys once in a while. That is a pretty good place to work, their pay jumped up alot a few years back.

Purdy huh 22? Never been thru there. That drive isn't too bad is it. You guys like the 1 on 2 off or would you rather do the XOXOXOOOO we do up here?
    It's not a bad drive. Purdy's just south of Monett, so I run 37 up through Sarcoxie and to the I/S. It's a little less than an hour and like you say, only 1 out of 3 days.

Talking bump

Thought I would bump this post back to life as it's still relative to many.

Its a joke is what it is..and a money maker

Thread Information