Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default St. Louis County FF1 and FF2

I noticed on a lot of the job postings in the St. Louis area, it says that St. Louis county FF1 and FF2 is required. Is this different than MO FF1 and FF2?
    Thanks

Yes and No......

St. Louis County has it's own Fire Academy, which basically teaches the MO FF 1 and 2, with a few added tweaks, not many. The academy "trains" FF's for 40+ fire departments in the county, so they can't get real specific, just the same general stuff the State teaches. However, you MUST spend the like $5,000 (?) and 10 weeks in the academy either prior to or within a year of getting hired at any FD in the County.

Are you a medic? The trick is to get hired by an department, usually because you are a medic, and then they will pay for your academy, and pay you while you attend (worked for me). You can still work on the ambo until you graduate, just not go in fires. St. Charles County accepts State, STL City won't accept County or State. I know guys that have gone to 2-3 academies and learned the same stuff 3 times.

Hope that helps.....

What's this $5,000 and 10 week in the academy you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmy6 View Post
    What's this $5,000 and 10 week in the academy you're talking about?
    St. Louis County.

FHandz, thanks for the reply. I called them and pretty much said what you posted. I was hoping there may be some reciprocity, but nope. I think I'll stay in Kansas City, haha.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya that academy is a joke unless you have no fire experience once so ever. You still have to go through it even if you have MO State I and II the only difference is you donít have to take the state tests just the St. Louis county tests. And the money you pay out of you own pocket if you get in a class on your own and most departments that send you through make you stay two to three years or else you have to pay them back if you leave before you put in enough time to make it worth their while to send you to the academy. In St. Louis County only a certain amount of the departments pay for you to go through the rest just want you to have it when you apply for a job. Usually the higher paid departments make you have if before you apply so people with use the lower paid departments to get into the academy and then leave in a year or so to go to a bigger better paid dept. Hey FDHandZ where are you from in St. Louis county I never see too many people from around here online

What's this $5,000 and 10 week in the academy you're talking about
    It costs something like $5,000 to attend......and it takes something like 10 weeks............last I checked....it's been 9 years. Do you know something I don't?

Hey FDHandZ where are you from in St. Louis county I never see too many people from around here online
    You first lol. I'm in the Witness Protection Program lol.

Somewhere in the "Unholy 13".............SW side.

There are a few on here, not many.

FHandz, thanks for the reply. I called them and pretty much said what you posted. I was hoping there may be some reciprocity, but nope. I think I'll stay in Kansas City, haha.
    You with KCFD? I have a few friends on that job, a few at CJC....one at OPFD, KCPD. I knew them all from Warrensburg FD in college way back when (late 90's)....ahh good times lol...........

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15 View Post
    You with KCFD? I have a few friends on that job, a few at CJC....one at OPFD, KCPD. I knew them all from Warrensburg FD in college way back when (late 90's)....ahh good times lol...........
    Lol, I wish I was with KCFD...I'm just starting out, going to Blue River Fire Academy in Indepedence in August...oh, and testing for St. Louis City in July...

MembersZone Subscriber

FDHands I am at Valley Park so we are close but not too close. Hope things are going good. Let me know where you are at when u get a shot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almsfan21 View Post
    Lol, I wish I was with KCFD...I'm just starting out, going to Blue River Fire Academy in Indepedence in August...oh, and testing for St. Louis City in July...
    I don't know if it'd interest you or not, but Joplin is supposed to have a hiring exam before long. http://www.joplinmo.org if you're interested in downloading an app or anything. They require FF I and II and EMT-B. From my understanding, Paramedic will get preference, but it's not a requirement.

Catch22, thank you, I had heard that they were supposed to be hiring soon. Unfortunately I do not have my FF1, FF2 and EMT yet, I start that in August. But, I was browsing through Joplin's website, they have what looks to be a pretty nice department. Joplin was also a lot bigger than I thought. I'll keep that in mind next year, lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almsfan21 View Post
    Catch22, thank you, I had heard that they were supposed to be hiring soon. Unfortunately I do not have my FF1, FF2 and EMT yet, I start that in August. But, I was browsing through Joplin's website, they have what looks to be a pretty nice department. Joplin was also a lot bigger than I thought. I'll keep that in mind next year, lol.
    Actually, you can apply if you're at least enrolled. But there's no need to get in a big hurry, the public safety tax that got approved last year is supposed to hire 35 new positions and open 2 more stations in the next five years, along with a $5 million joint (FD and PD) training center. There's the possibility that there will be six hired this coming year (3 off the tax, 3 that got approved to increase manpower and reduce OT).

The big thing right now is if the department will take over EMS. Issues are abound and the council is considering it. If it happens, I wouldn't be surprised if almost all new hires are medics, but that's only speculation. Nothing will likely be known for a while on what the council will do.

It's not a bad sized city, and it's still growing. I can't complain, I enjoy the job. Did you by chance follow the link to the FD site? There's a little more info there. http://www.joplinmofire.org

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Actually, you can apply if you're at least enrolled. But there's no need to get in a big hurry, the public safety tax that got approved last year is supposed to hire 35 new positions and open 2 more stations in the next five years, along with a $5 million joint (FD and PD) training center. There's the possibility that there will be six hired this coming year (3 off the tax, 3 that got approved to increase manpower and reduce OT).

The big thing right now is if the department will take over EMS. Issues are abound and the council is considering it. If it happens, I wouldn't be surprised if almost all new hires are medics, but that's only speculation. Nothing will likely be known for a while on what the council will do.

It's not a bad sized city, and it's still growing. I can't complain, I enjoy the job. Did you by chance follow the link to the FD site? There's a little more info there. http://www.joplinmofire.org
    Yes, I did...I didn't know that about being enrolled, and being able to still apply. So, even if I wouldn't have my FF1, FF2, and EMT until December I could still apply? That's cool. I'll have to do that. Thank you for the info. I'm also planning to start medic school in January...so that can't hurt..

It costs something like $5,000 to attend......and it takes something like 10 weeks............last I checked....it's been 9 years. Do you know something I don't?
    Nah i was just wondering because i'm planning on going to flo valley for my EMT cert this fall and then after that applying at the academy.

I don't know if it'd interest you or not, but Joplin is supposed to have a hiring exam before long. http://www.joplinmo.org if you're interested in downloading an app or anything. They require FF I and II and EMT-B. From my understanding, Paramedic will get preference, but it's not a requirement.
    Catch22, are you with JFD? That is a good dept., I grew up in Joplin, by the hospitals, and my grandfather was on JFD in the 1950's, when it was only 3 houses. He was at the old one on Wall or Joplin? (been a while lol). I went to HS with some guys on JFD, a Capt. Houk I believe, some good guys. I spend alot of time in Joplin, my family is still there. It is a nice area, the city has grown alot in the 12 years I've been gone, they could use 2 more houses. Are they wanting to take over for METS? That would be interesting.........makes sense. We took over for the 3rd service provider where I work 4 years ago.....it's gone OK, I just get to spend 3/4 of my time on a busy ambo lol. Other than that it's been great!!! just kidding.

Nice web site BTW, I like it. Anyway, just saying hey.
    Last edited by FHandz15; 05-21-2007 at 03:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22, are you with JFD? That is a good dept., I grew up in Joplin, by the hospitals, and my grandfather was on JFD in the 1950's, when it was only 3 houses. He was at the old one on Wall or Joplin? (been a while lol). I went to HS with some guys on JFD, a Capt. Houk I believe, some good guys. I spend alot of time in Joplin, my family is still there. It is a nice area, the city has grown alot in the 12 years I've been gone, they could use 2 more houses. Are they wanting to take over for METS? That would be interesting.........makes sense. We took over for the 3rd service provider where I work 4 years ago.....it's gone OK, I just get to spend 3/4 of my time on a busy ambo lol. Other than that it's been great!!! just kidding.

Nice web site BTW, I like it. Anyway, just saying hey.
    Houk was my captain last year, until we got broke up and put on different shifts! He's a helluva guy, I really enjoyed working for him. It is a pretty good department, I enjoy it. For the most part, a guy couldn't ask to work with a better bunch of guys. I think the house you're talking about was the old Station 2 at about 19th and Wall. We are definitely growing more and more. Petro and the area around I-44 and 43 is now in the city. There's a lot of speculation by the time we get the two new houses up and going, we're going to need at least one more.

I won't say they're looking to "take over" METS. There's a big deal going on with the county 911 and the city, part of which is the ambulance went to dispatch through the county. As part of resolving the issue of 911 calls inside the city going to the county first, the council is considering going into the ambulance business. That's the short version, at least. There's a lot mroe to it that's not "public" knowledge, so to say.

Personally, I'm a fan of fire-based EMS. But at the same time, I'm testing for captain in hopes of staying off the box in case it happens. So where is it you're working out of?

Forum Member

Houk is a great captain. super nice guy. I havent been with the department for very long but i came up here from the st louis area and i couldnt be any happier with the dept. I would recomend the dept to anyone willing to make the move. pay is a little low but the cost of living here is a lot cheaper. I dont really want to take over the ems side but we will see what happens. The dept is really going to be growing like catch22 said. we keep annexing in land and buis. we will be making the jump from 5 stations to 7 stations over the next couple of years. now is the perfect time to get on. you have the chance to get some seniority very quickly. the other perk of the dept is our retirement. 20 years and you can retire. pretty sweet deal. we will post on here when the next test is. should be coming very soon. if anyone wants to check out some of our fires check this site out. keep in mind this is just a few of our fires the photographer doesnt make it to all of our calls. http://baileykyle.myphotoalbum.com/
    Last edited by dodffgood; 05-23-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Thumbs up The big "J"

Personally, I'm a fan of fire-based EMS. But at the same time, I'm testing for captain in hopes of staying off the box in case it happens. So where is it you're working out of?
    I work at Kirkwood FD. Our web site is not great lol....

http://www.ci.kirkwood.mo.us/fire/contact%20us.htm (3 Stations)

http://www.ci.kirkwood.mo.us/fire/Apparatus.htm
    (Trucks)

I took a job here becuase they didn't run ambo's......but 4 years later they started up 2 lol. But, that is pretty much the norm up here. Most FD's run ambo's, they do generate revenue, not a whole lot, problem is we didn't increase staffing. Just made do. Could be worse. At least I get a few days off it here and there lol.

Yeah I graduated JHS in 1993, so I think I know a few guys on there. I also played baseball with Houk back in the day. I got my medic at Southern, and did my rides at METS way back in 1994. Probably a whole new set of people around there now. That link to the photos is great, you guys burn some good ones. The trucks look great, I remember the older white ones, the big platform downtown, like Aerial 1 or something.....

My parents live off Arbour Dr. off 32nd / Shiff. ALot of new construction around there. I grew up on Jefferson St. / 26th, ahh the old neighborhood lol.... I'm coming down for the 4th, I really like spending time in Joplin, it's a nice place to raise a family. dod where are you from in the STL area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ladder 1 I think is what you're talking about, '85 Grumman 102' AerialCat. They're using it as a reserve now, but it still makes some runs here and there.

Arbor Hills is definitely a booming area! It seems like all our residential area is going in to the west and southwest. Especially now that we're annexing in so much that direction (Petro area). I actually started off my career at Joplin at station 2, which protects that area.

I don't know if you'd be intersted (or even have time), but Houk's shift is the 2nd and 5th. He's at station 5 (behind Food-4-Less @ 32nd and Texas), in case you're interested.

Thumbs up Food 4 Less

He's at station 5 (behind Food-4-Less @ 32nd and Texas),
    My apologies to the origional poster ,almsfan21, me and a few others have hijacked this thread and are having our own discission lol. But hey, all in good fun lol!

Funny you should mention Station 5. I worked for 3 years in HS at the old car wash next to Food 4 Less. E5 would go by about 5 times a day and one day I thouhgt "man, that would be a great job. Yeah, I think that's what I want to do" lol. I'm totally serious, I was like 16, I told my parents I wanted to be a FF. It also was 1991, and Backdraft came out at the theaters.....sounds super corny lol....but that movie and seeeing E5 everyday, man I was sold! When I was a kid living on Jefferson, I used to ride my bike up to Pronto at 26th / Maiden Lane right by #2, and I'd spend the whole summer at Cunningham Park at the pool lol.

Ahh......where does the time go lol.

Sorry for taking a trip back in time, I just rarely run into anyone (in person or the net) that knows anything about the Big J. It's a world away from up here, over 300 miles! I'm almost closer to Chicago!

I'd stop and say hey to Aaron, but man HS was 15 years ago, we wouldn't recognize each other lol. Not close friends or anything, I just saw the name on your "Organizational Chart".

You got a guy there T. Dewitt from Lamar? I know he was at Carthage for a while.

Which house are you working at? Been on JFD a long time?
    Last edited by FHandz15; 05-27-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Thread Information