Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Say You?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default What Say You?

But please keep it civil. This was a tough call for the driver, and I am not even sure how I would have responded to this situation....

Man Posing As Police Allegedly Removes Student From School Bus. State's Attorney's Office Investigating Incident

POSTED: 11:02 am EDT May 11, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:34 am EDT May 11, 2007

BETHESDA, Md. -- A man claiming to be an undercover police officer removed a child from a school bus and drove the boy home, according to a Montgomery County school official.

The incident happened May 2 after officials said a student from Thomas W. Pyle Middle School threw a plastic bottle from a school bus window that hit the man's car.

"We were notified last week that a student was removed from a bus by an undercover police officer," said Pyle school Principal Michael Zarchin. "Because that's not common practice, I called our transportation department and I called school security and asked them to look into it."

The man who boarded the bus was not an undercover police officer according to police and school officials, but a private detective.

The incident has some people wondering if the bus driver should have allowed the student to leave the bus.

"Your first instinct when you assume that somebody is a law enforcement officer, they show a badge, is to comply. But his assumption was not correct," Zarchin said. "Looking back I wish he would have called the transportation office before the student was removed and called the school for us to come out to the bus. That didn't happen, but the situation he was put in was not an easy one."

The school sent a letter home to parents describing the incident.

Montgomery County police said they are working with the State's Attorney's office to see if criminal charges are warranted.

Police said their procedure is for an officer to call the school in an incident involving a student on a school bus, and then follow that bus back to the school.

Police have not released the private detective's name.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

We all know hindsight is 20/20.... but the best part of this story is that nothing bad happened - this time.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

If you have to have a license of some sort to be a privet detective than this guy should lose it!

But the kid is very lucky all that happened was he got brought home.

MembersZone Subscriber

It sounds to me as though this was a case of poor training on the part of the school district. There is a policy regarding police operations in place. The bus driver obviously did not know it. The driver never should have let the kid off the bus w/o policy being followed. If it were a legitimate incident, the police officer would have had no problem with having a supervisor respond or in making a call to the school.

As far as PI's, every state (as far as I know) requires some sort of license. Impersonating a police officer is an offense sure to cause at least a suspension of the license.

Forum Member

Angry

No, No, No! I cry foul and would have the guy brought up on kidnapping charges along with the busdrivers job! No one messes with my kid, even if he was the cause of the commotion on the bus, the police may remove a kid not a private detective. What is that anyway, a private eye? Lock him up!

Forum Member

I would definitely want the "Private Detective" arrested. Thank god nothing happened to the kid. It's easy to say the driver of the bus should be fired, but we don't know what kind of training he was given for a situation like this, and knowing my local school bus company it was probably none. Common sense should have told him to call his office or at the very least ask, for a uniformed Police Officer to respond

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

"Looking back I wish he would have called the transportation office before the student was removed and called the school for us to come out to the bus. That didn't happen, but the situation he was put in was not an easy one."
    There's nothing in the article that would even remotely justify the bus driver being fired.

The way the article is worded makes it seem like there are no "SOPs" in place, and as was said, apparently little or no training.

What if it was a parent doing the same thing in place of the private detective?

My point ... if there are no set procedures in place to deal with possible scenarios like parental / relative kidnapping, authorized/unauthorized pickups for example, or police removal / medical emergencies etc. then who can blame the bus driver? We don't know how convincing the "acting" and credentials were in this case or could be in future incidents.

If there are set procedures in place by the school and/or the transportation company, then by all means there should be appropriate consequences, after a thorough investigation, of course.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well said Sheri.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

What George and Shari said!

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I think you misread the article. The policy was the police policy for school buses, not the school policy for the police.

You can be sure that both sides are reviewing their policies now.

Thread Information