Thread: Too Old?

Default Too Old?

What are the chances for a 45 year old white male going through the academy and being hired here in Florida?

Forum Member

i have heard of as old as 40 getting hired but 45 might be pushing it..............sorry to say it might be late for a career change...............

.........being white sure wont help either............... isnt that just about the sadest thing to have to say about the hiring quotas nowadays...........?

Florida Boy!

Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

I would say right now it doesnt matter how old you are because there are some major problems in Florida with a tax reform bill, there might be some serios layoffs starting in June if that bill passess!

God Help the Florida Brothers!
    There is Life outside the Firehouse!

Forum Member

We have hired some well into their 40's in the recent past. Although youth is a good thing, so is maturity.

Don't give up hope! Ya never know...
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wakehead

Hey wakehead I was kind of thinking about moving the Colorado in the next year are two. Are there a lot of Job opportunities out there or is it tough. I am a firefighter EMT now and will be done with paramedic school in a couple of months. So if you could help me in anyway I would appreciate it Email me if you would like or just reply on a form Giweff@aol.com. Thanks Jeff

Florida Boy!

There are a lot of job oppertunities out here for a FF/PM due to the number of Depts starting in the EMS transport business, though it is very competitive, start looking at Dept websites, and think about where you might want to live: Denver area, the Springs, Ft.Collins or even the the Western Slope area.
    I think the most jobs would be located within an hour around Denver! let me know if I can help more.

Forum Member

Hold on. Ted was number 3 on the list of a big city fire department, an EMT and FORTY-SEVEN YEARS OLD! He also scored higher than his Son on the same list and got the job. Bravo!
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Permanently Removed

Kern County Fire, a major FD in central California was hiring Candidates in their mid-40s and running (literally) through their tower.

Orange County Fire Authority has been hiring more "seasoned" Candidates and also pushing them through their tower as well.

Consider this, if you got hired in your 20s or 30s, you would still be doing the job right now, right? So apply yourself and get on some lists.

Me- I much rather have a more mature, solid, stabile FF working next to me in the fire service. Lets games, whining and BS. I say go for it.

Remember- Let the department remove you from the process, not yourself.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-17-2007 at 10:47 PM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wakehead View Post
    There are a lot of job oppertunities out here for a FF/PM due to the number of Depts starting in the EMS transport business, though it is very competitive, start looking at Dept websites, and think about where you might want to live: Denver area, the Springs, Ft.Collins or even the the Western Slope area.
    I think the most jobs would be located within an hour around Denver! let me know if I can help more.
    What about Denver FD itself? Im interested in them...

Florida Boy!

Denver, they hire yearly....long civil service style exam, it is at least 6-8 part hiring process, but they are the Top Dogs in the state followed by Colorado Springs.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say right now it doesnt matter how old you are because there are some major problems in Florida with a tax reform bill, there might be some serios layoffs starting in June if that bill passess!

God Help the Florida Brothers!
    Let's all hope this doesn't happen!

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Denver, they hire yearly....long civil service style exam, it is at least 6-8 part hiring process, but they are the Top Dogs in the state followed by Colorado Springs.
    Ive read pretty much all of their documents on their recruitment site, I was wondering more what the chances of an out of stater to get hired was.

MembersZone Subscriber

I went through the FL fire program and there was a 42 year old guy in our class. He made it, he had to reach down and dig a few times, but he passed the program and got his ticket.

"He who wants to do it will do it"

Florida Boy!

FLA17, like I said civil service type exam, they do not care about expierience or certs because they will train you. first on the list first to get hiried, because they are the top dogs they are under heavy scrunity to be PC obviously they will give prefrence to women and minorities.. but like I said there are a lot of small Depts here. As far as out of stater no difrence, except you will probally have to travel here often for DFD, other FD's will make arangements to help out of staters..

Thread Information