Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default aerialscope set up

I am starting to look at an aerialscope for our department. Could anyone explain the set up procedure in reference to the front and rear stabalizers and the radial outriggers? Any help would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefanthony View Post
    I am starting to look at an aerialscope for our department. Could anyone explain the set up procedure in reference to the front and rear stabalizers and the radial outriggers? Any help would be appreciated.
    Make sure everyone is clear...slam the levers down until at full extension...put safety pins in.

You're done.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Make sure everyone is clear...slam the levers down until at full extension...put safety pins in.

You're done.

FTM-PTB
    And yes, it is that easy Hard to believe in this day and age
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Will your department be looking at a 75' Aerialscope or a 95' model, the newer 75' units do not have front jacks ! Posted below is a photo of our Mack Baker 75', the " FDNY " scopes ordered last year have front jacks on there 75 foot models. Also the joy stick in the bucket is very easy to operate, just push in the trigger and point the handle in the direction you want to travel !...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-20-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Forum Member

We are looking for a 95 footer. Thinking of going the Advantage Apparatus route. We are looking at adding a pump and small tank also. Bob at Advantage has been great to work with. I acutally traveled from Ky to Canada to meet with him a couple of years ago. We currently have a 100' Thibault ladder with prepiped waterway and 1500 pump. It is very restrictive in operating ranges. With the set back it wont reach the second floor of our hospital. Anymore ideas would be appreciated.

Please don't violate a great tower like a Baker by putting a pump and a tank on it. So much of a waste.

Forum Member

We dont have much choice but to do it. Our staffing dictates doing the most with the least. We are a combo department and during certain times the career and volunteer numbers just dont allow for a operation to support a ladder or tower only apparatus. We have the aerial get its own water supply. I know it can be done othewise but it works well for our situation. We could go with another brand of platform with a pump, but from what I can gather, The scope stands out in ease of operation and durability. I am just trying to think outside of the box and get the most for the buck.

I know some will say we should be addressing the staffing of career and volunteers more. We are working on it as we speak and have been for 4 years now to no avail. Some of the powers that be say we need more help but just not have came thru with the funding yet. Maybe our citizens are happy with the level of service they are getting. We had a fatal fire right in the heart of our city in February that took the lives of 10 people. It was at 4 in the morning with no staff on duty. Not one word was heard about the 13 minute respone time. Maybe people are ok with it. I am not and will work to make things better.

Back to the topic. If anyone has suggestions for the project just fire away.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We went down the "used/refurbed road" also. We were able to conclusively show that over 25-30 years the per year cost would be higher than if we bought new. And City officials tend to like lower per year numbers than longterm savings. Look at the purchase price, increased maintenance, sooner replacement, the inflation rates and so on. We had also decided that the only used truck we'd even consider was a Scope. But there are very few out there and by the time you're done squaring them away you're right up at the new cost.

We also have a combo dept. and are convinced that a pump and attack lines would hurt our operations. This is especially true if the quint is you're only aerial, as once the hose is stretched and charged the truck is anchored. Some can claim they place the truck perfectly everytime for both engine and truck functions but I doubt it.

Forum Member

I here that Seagrave is coming out with a Quint/Scope. Call one of their dealers and find out.

How is Advantage getting the parts to rebuild Scope's? I here that Seagrave will only sell parts for Scope's to Departments and their dealers only.

We are looking for a 95 footer. Thinking of going the Advantage Apparatus route. We are looking at adding a pump and small tank also. Bob at Advantage has been great to work with. I acutally traveled from Ky to Canada to meet with him a couple of years ago. We currently have a 100' Thibault ladder with prepiped waterway and 1500 pump. It is very restrictive in operating ranges. With the set back it wont reach the second floor of our hospital. Anymore ideas would be appreciated.
    I'm a little confused. Your 100' ladder won't reach a second floor due to street setbacks, but you expect a 95' scope to reach?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Sorry I should have explained more. The operating limits on the ladder restrict the extension at the required angle to reach the windows. The set back of the bldg from the road bed is about 30'. The ladder is long enough it just wont reach at the needed angle without over riding the safety.

The scope or a new ladder with less operating restrictions should reach at the required angle. Hope this makes more sense.

Forum Member

Advantage Fire Apparatus now builds all there Aerialscopes on new Spartan chassis cabs , they no longer want to rebuild older Seagraves, E-Ones, or Mack CF chassis. Did you get any kind of " price tag " from Bob!...
    Last year a 75' rebuilt scope no pump or tank went for about $425 - $450 K american dollars.Pierce MFG did a great job rebuilding this 95' Scope for the Bowie, MD fire dept, I think the cost was $ 480,000 -$ 500,000 a few years back !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-17-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Permanently Removed

Sorry I should have explained more. The operating limits on the ladder restrict the extension at the required angle to reach the windows. The set back of the bldg from the road bed is about 30'. The ladder is long enough it just wont reach at the needed angle without over riding the safety.
    The scope or a new ladder with less operating restrictions should reach at the required angle. Hope this makes more sense.
    Chief, having heard you said the above, I wouldn’t tie yourself down to just one model yet. If “no restrictions” on angle and extension is the problem you are trying to overcome; new aerials have almost no restrictions (across the board speaking). In general a 500Lb. tip load at zero degrees & full extension is what most offer – how is that for no restrictions?

I would only say one thing to try and help – Don’t go with a rebuild of anything. As some here have said the initial cost of re-chassis will approach new anyway. And then you will have nickel and dime issues in the years to follow (likely). Many departments have told me they regretted not buying new.

An aerialscope is one hell of a machine & I am not sure of the terrain in your area; but consider some new aerials with more leveling capability if your area requires that.

I like anyone has a personal pref. but sometimes Quint demos of 100'+ can be had at around 500K. TL

Forum Member

Anyone know what a Seagrave 95' aerialscope weighs?

Forum Member

Anyone know what a Seagrave 95' aerialscope weighs?
    I have some info on the GVWR: Front Axle 22,000 Lbs, Rear Axle 54,000 - 58,000 Lbs on the 95' model.I do not know the trucks total Wt.The over all height is 134" & 46'-47' long !...

Some Guy

FFred,

Do you guy lift the truck up as far as it goes? Like you said full extension?
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe Birdsboro PA had theres refurbed by Pierce for around $500k and it looks pretty nice!!!

http://birdsborofd.org/apparatus/tw7...x/929/929.html

Forum Member

Chiefanthony,

As SSIaerialmanTIM as mentioned almost all of today's Aerial products can do there rated capacity at 0 degrees or below.

When looking at a refurbed apparatus be careful! I know of several departments that have been nickeled and dimed to death. I also know of several departments that have had great sucess with theirs.

What kind of area is your district? I.E. flat, hills, tight streets? etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    FFred,

Do you guy lift the truck up as far as it goes? Like you said full extension?
    Yes...you slam the bar down until all jacks and outriggers are down and fully extended and then insert the pins...it is pretty simple.

They can be individually adjusted for unusual grade conditions but that is rarely needed..even in Washington Heights and the Bronx where steep grades aren't uncommon.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 05-17-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Forum Member

Chief1FF, our district is for the most part pretty flat for the built upon areas.
    We are mostly suburban. We are in the heart of central Ky in Bardstown, the Bourbon capital of the world. Some of our streets and alleys are kinda tight, but we dont have trouble getting our current ladder truck around, although is is only 41 feet long and has a shorter wheelbase than a scope would. We dont use our ladder alot now, mainly due to its operating limits, but we have a great potential for its use. It has been instrumental in saving several of our taller buildings as well as saving several bldgs in our bourbon distillery complexes. I like the scope for its ease of use as well as providing a safer work area for our firefighters.

We are not set on a scope yet and we will keep looking. We have numerous trees that overhand our streets. I feel that anything rearmount would get damaged by hitting the trees. A couple of things that concern me is the weight of the unit as well as the overall lenght. It sounds like the scope would be 5 to 6 feet longer and have a longer wheel base than our current truck. I know turn cramp angles are better now but still wonder how it will manuver. Louisville Fire just got a new 95' scope and we plan on going to see it. It is only about 40 miles from us.

Thread Information